Opinion 2015: Who'll Make The cut?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Gwilt has a part to play in back-line for a few years yet, likewise Gilbert. It's been a frustrating season due to the amount of talent that has had to endure long injury absences, but that's footy.

What we are starting to see is small amounts of potential, we have a number of good young mids, however, our effective tackling is a real concern. We make a heap of tackles, yet we allow the ball to keep moving, which proved devastating against Hawthorn and Collingwood. This in an area of the game that can be quickly rectified with a pre-season and good coaching.

I think Gwilt has a part to play in back-line for a few years yet, likewise Gilbert. It's been a frustrating season due to the amount of talent that has had to endure long injury absences, but that's footy.

What we are starting to see is small amounts of potential, we have a number of good young mids, however, our effective tackling is a real concern. We make a heap of tackles, yet we allow the ball to keep moving, which proved devastating against Hawthorn and Collingwood. This in an area of the game that can be quickly rectified with a pre-season and good coaching.

I agree, too many players are able to free their hands and get effective handballs out against us. Another pre-season to build some of the younger guys' strength should help.

That's such a good post Perse IMO.

Hale has only been a game changing player in his mid-late twenties at the Hawks.

Tippett was just as inconsistent as Stanley. He played out of the goal square, and if he didn't mark it, it wasn't a big turnover - unlike Rhys up on the wing - less pressure.

Sam Day has looked ordinary until this season - he's a couple of years younger and newer to the system, but has played consistently over the last 3 and a bit seasons - he reached 50 games earlier this season (Rhys does on Saturday).

On top of which he's been pretty effective this season. In the middle bracket of second ruckmen/forwards I would reckon. Behind Jenkins, Tippett, Westhoff, Hale, but equal to Nic Nat, Grundy or Witts, better than Casboult, Hampson, and others I can't think to name.

One concern I have with Stanley is that he hasn't got a big bum like Tippett, Nic Nat, Hawkins or even Day or Dixon and hence he's more easily pushed off the ball by defenders. Not sure if that will change with gym work or not.

That's such a good post Perse IMO.

Hale has only been a game changing player in his mid-late twenties at the Hawks.

Tippett was just as inconsistent as Stanley. He played out of the goal square, and if he didn't mark it, it wasn't a big turnover - unlike Rhys up on the wing - less pressure.

Tippet kicked 55 goals in 2009 at age 21.
Thats more than Rhys has kicked in his whole career.
Sure he was inconsistent but comparing him to Rhys - you might as well say Gary Ablett wasnt that good early so hes the same as Seb Ross.

Sure he was inconsistent but comparing him to Rhys - you might as well say Gary Ablett wasnt that good early so hes the same as Seb Ross.

Lets remember that Rhys is basically in his second year of football due to injury setbacks. Last season he was played at CHB in what was basically his first decent crack at a season.

Did Tippet have to play a year in defence?

Did Tippet have the kind of muck disposal into the forward fifty that Stanley has had to endure this year?

Did Tippet get to be the focal point of the tall forwards, rather than only getting it kicked to him when his blond hair meant that the disposer thought he was somebody else? (I know Kurt isn't blond, but you get my point).

Given the level of outside factors getting in the way of Rhys doing well, I'd say he's doing alright.

Firstly, Tippett and Ablett are not a comparison.

Secondly, you ahve no idea if Ross will come good or not.

Thirdly, Tippett played as a FF that year.

But let's not let facts get in the way of a good whipping, eh?

We can only judge Rhys on Rhys and on his performances this years, I would give Rhys 5 out 10 at best, even our captain has said he needs to step up. There is a heap of room for improvement with Rhys and at the end of the day he has only played 50 odd games of AFL

Did Tippet have to play a year in defence?

Did Tippet have the kind of muck disposal into the forward fifty that Stanley has had to endure this year?

Did Tippet get to be the focal point of the tall forwards, rather than only getting it kicked to him when his blond hair meant that the disposer thought he was somebody else? (I know Kurt isn't blond, but you get my point).

Given the level of outside factors getting in the way of Rhys doing well, I'd say he's doing alright.

I think Tippett had his own injury battles early on also. Wasn't smooth sailing.

Anyway, Im not bagging Rhys - I'm pro Rhys. I am just suggesting we have more healthy and realistic comparisons and bench marks for him.

Compare Rhys with say a Zac Clarke from Freo for instance - don't compare with him an Alpha Key Fwd like Tippett - because hes not one and never will be one and I feel its wrong to create those kind of expectations. Kurt has averaged over 2 goals a game for the last 6 seasons.

Lets compare Rhys with a guy like Hampson who was just traded for a pick 28. Compared with Hampson - Rhys is travelling quite well.

Last edited:
Just on the whole "Rhys sucks so bad" discussion, here are his stats against Hale, Tippett and Sandilands at similar ages.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d1=3153&tid2=11&pid2=145&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3153&tid2=17&pid2=1750&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...pid1=3153&tid2=9&pid2=40&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O

Honestly, I can't see that he's that much worse than any of those guys. In fact on key stats he's often better than them: better marks than all three, for example.

sssssshhh we dont want your facts round ere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

when a player comes along, you must whip him.
if his development takes too long, then you whip him...
if one game goes real wrong, then you whip him...

Now whip him, whip him good!
You sure? i thought it was just straight to the delist/trade list first. o_O:p

You sure? i thought it was just straight to the delist/trade list first. o_O:p

We cant do that. If we delist them all we have to start whipping the really good players.

When I try to whip lenny, he grabs the end of the whip, wraps it round my throat and shoves the handle up my......

Has it been ruined? Do we need a new whipping boy yet?
Maybe Spencer can get over his injuries so we can bring him into a seniors game and CRAAAAAACK.
chandler+bing.gif

Here's the video, for those that might have missed it.

If we follow through with that promise, it is worth its weight in gold. If we don't it is worth its weight in poo.

that was a over six months ago so i am sure many things have changed. and who knows if he will be picked up. he also has keep in very good shape etc.

Totally agree, its why so many teams get outside of us. Two come in to make the tackle, it does not stop the ball and they have a guy free. Maybe we need to think outside the AFL box and get hold of a good tackling coach from Rugby League.

Daniel markworth and spencer white. These two guys names have been thrown around alot on here for last two years.
People were saying they had potential to be great players.

Do you guys still have that opinion?
Will they get a game this year?
Will they be apart of this rebuild?
Just looking for your opinions.
I ask for opinions because I live intetstate and don't get to see these guys develop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back