Position 2015: Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Read this one Spider Klein

Its comparing picking the top scoring player (Rocky) as captain compared to J.Selwood in this case.

This year based on Magic Number the avg starting point for all your players is 1766 points (Salary / Magic Number). - this isnt including captain.

J.Selwood as Captain maintaining avg (106)
1766 - 106 = 1660 (Is the total amount of points the rest of the team scores W/O J.Selwood)
1660 + 212 (2X captain score, in this case 106 which is 212) = 1872

Rockliff as captain maintaining avg (134)
1766 - 134 = 1632 (Amount the rest of Rockliffs team scores, as you can see less than J.Selwoods because J.Selwood is cheaper and more can be spent on the rest of the side compared to Rockliff)

1632 + 268 (2 x captain score of 134 = 268) = 1900

I definitely get what you are saying here, but there are also price fluctuations that come. The reality is that it will be exceptionally difficult for Rockliff to maintain his current price. He has to be at least as good as his stellar year last year.

I will be getting Rockliff, but not at his current price as I think he will come down. I'm also concerned they will have him play more as a forward which might impact his points.

Anyway here is another discussion on mid-priced players and rookies.

http://www.unambitiousus.com/sports/afl-fantasy-2015-mid-priced-rookie-midfielders/

I definitely get what you are saying here, but there are also price fluctuations that come. The reality is that it will be exceptionally difficult for Rockliff to maintain his current price. He has to be at least as good as his stellar year last year.

I will be getting Rockliff, but not at his current price as I think he will come down. I'm also concerned they will have him play more as a forward which might impact his points.

Anyway here is another discussion on mid-priced players and rookies.

http://www.unambitiousus.com/sports/afl-fantasy-2015-mid-priced-rookie-midfielders/
Yes but if we are keeping everything the same (ie: selwood and rockliff ad everyone maintains avg then they will lose price at basically the same rate)

Read this one Spider Klein

Its comparing picking the top scoring player (Rocky) as captain compared to J.Selwood in this case.

This year based on Magic Number the avg starting point for all your players is 1766 points (Salary / Magic Number). - this isnt including captain.

J.Selwood as Captain maintaining avg (106)
1766 - 106 = 1660 (Is the total amount of points the rest of the team scores W/O J.Selwood)
1660 + 212 (2X captain score, in this case 106 which is 212) = 1872

Rockliff as captain maintaining avg (134)
1766 - 134 = 1632 (Amount the rest of Rockliffs team scores, as you can see less than J.Selwoods because J.Selwood is cheaper and more can be spent on the rest of the side compared to Rockliff)

1632 + 268 (2 x captain score of 134 = 268) = 1900

Yes I understood the maths.

However by starting with 1766 for both teams you are assuming that both teams have purchased both Rockliff and Selwood and one has Rockliff Captain and one has Selwood captain. If you are buying Rockliff anyway why not captain him.

My argument is that the 150k you save getting Selwood could be used boosting the 1660 that Selwood's team starts with without him. Possibly turns one of your mid price 70 options into a premium 100 option. Hence Selwood's team gets 2 extra points.

You cant just assume the team scores the same. By doing that it means Selwoods team has an extra 160k in the bank which may mean upgrading 1 week earlier.

My point is there are too many variables comparing Selwood and Rockliff who are 160k apart because 160k turns a mid pricer into a premium. comparing people roughly 50k apart makes more sense as it will have negligible impact on the rest of the team.

Yes I understood the maths.

However by starting with 1766 for both teams you are assuming that both teams have purchased both Rockliff and Selwood and one has Rockliff Captain and one has Selwood captain. If you are buying Rockliff anyway why not captain him.

My argument is that the 150k you save getting Selwood could be used boosting the 1660 that Selwood's team starts with without him. Possibly turns one of your mid price 70 options into a premium 100 option. Hence Selwood's team gets 2 extra points.

You cant just assume the team scores the same. By doing that it means Selwoods team has an extra 160k in the bank which may mean upgrading 1 week earlier.

My point is there are too many variables comparing Selwood and Rockliff who are 160k apart because 160k turns a mid pricer into a premium. comparing people roughly 50k apart makes more sense as it will have negligible impact on the rest of the team.

Im not assuming both have picked both rocky and selwood, no.

One has rockliff the other has selwood

Interested on people thoughts on Miles?

Avg of 90 last year and so many games was on nearly that half way through the third and just ran out of puff.
With a full pre-season with the Tiges behind him, he's seems the most likely player in that price bracket who could step up to 100-105 avg.

Edit: Apart from maybe Crouch, thinking of starting mids of GAJ, Pendles, Crouch, Miles, Rich + rookies.....to light on?

Interested on people thoughts on Miles?

Avg of 90 last year and so many games was on nearly that half way through the third and just ran out of puff.
With a full pre-season with the Tiges behind him, he's seems the most likely player in that price bracket who could step up to 100-105 avg.

Edit: Apart from maybe Crouch, thinking of starting mids of GAJ, Pendles, Crouch, Miles, Rich + rookies.....to light on?
Miles has potential. It depends if Deledio is fully fit he might spend more time in the middle than he did last year. Cotching Deledio, Ellis, Martin spends time there. You would want to be confident Miles is in the guts and not running forward of the ball. Having said that he is probably the most inside mid of those mentioned.

As far as that set up it depends where you want to spend your money. Popular consensus is that defenders are lacking solid premium options so people are loading up forward and mids where choices are more certain. However if you want to spend money elsewhere then maybe 1 less premium mid could work out for you.

Anyone have thoughts on Dion Prestia v Brandon Ellis Looking at them as my slightly different midfielder this year

Kinda thinking they are both young and could be solid pick ups. I only have room for 1. The 20k extra for Prestia is meaningless. Which do people like better?

Anyone have thoughts on Dion Prestia v Brandon Ellis Looking at them as my slightly different midfielder this year

Kinda thinking they are both young and could be solid pick ups. I only have room for 1. The 20k extra for Prestia is meaningless. Which do people like better?
I think they are potentially good unique options for midfielders. Neither should get many tags but should still spend plenty of time onball/in the middle. Both have shown that they could do much more than their price suggest. Cant pick one over the other though.

I think they are potentially good unique options for midfielders. Neither should get many tags but should still spend plenty of time onball/in the middle. Both have shown that they could do much more than their price suggest. Cant pick one over the other though.
Thanks KA.

I do think both are decent unique(ish) options. I think roughly 1.5% and 1% ownership. Took Sidebottom from the beginning last year and he was less than 1% owned until the last 5 or 6 rounds from memory so I think I will definitely take 1 of these guys. Minimising risk though and wont take both. I am leaning ever so slightly to Prestia. I just think Gold Coast will get more and more ball this year. However my thoughts though are Prestia is second in line for tag. I would tag him over JOM at this stage. Ellis is third in line for tag.

Jack Steven has been on my watchlist for a couple of seasons, seems to burn it up in the preseason comp and then not so much in the regular season
if he has bulked up then i'd be tempted.

anyone have thoughts on Ablett? shoulder and khuntrovesy to play out... risks mounting.
will he or wont he and why?

Jack Steven has been on my watchlist for a couple of seasons, seems to burn it up in the preseason comp and then not so much in the regular season
if he has bulked up then i'd be tempted.

anyone have thoughts on Ablett? shoulder and khuntrovesy to play out... risks mounting.
will he or wont he and why?
Hes underpriced just cant help but think he gets a really hard tag each week which makes it difficult to avg 100+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think about Stephen Coniglio, shouldn't get tagged and can produce high scores.
Not sure if you could call Coniglio a consistent scorer yet. Has had durability/being dropped issues in the past. For me seems too big of a risk at the price he will cost as he can also produce 50 point games. Expensive mids for me need to find a way to get at least 80 when they have a bad game. I won't be looking at him but he has talent and if he puts it all together he will be very good.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back