News 2015 Leadership group: Jones captain, Dunn VC

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Garland has made the right move. Some players just don't sit well with these things and prefer to focus on their own game. I think of Bernie Vince here, great player, experienced but better off focussing on what he does best.
Agree wholeheartedly with this.

You can be a leader without having a role in the leadership group. Training hard, not cutting corners, upholding a high standard and doing the team thing should be the focus of all senior players so the young guys have a benchmark by which to measure themselves. Being part of the LG means more than just that though, you need to be proactive in helping others, getting to know them and assisting them. Some folk just don't feel comfortable with that. I'm assuming Garland felt he'd be of more value to the team if he concentrated on becoming the best player he can

Amazing to think that only two of the six members from 1 year ago are still part of the group.
Back then it was:
Jones
Grimes
Garland
Trengove
Clark
Frawley

I think it shows how astute the decision was to add Dawes, Cross and Dunn mid-season following Clark's re'Liar'ment and Trengove's injury.
It's fantastic for Lynden Dunn and a perfect example of what can be achieved through hard work and application.

EFA

Agree wholeheartedly with this.

You can be a leader without having a role in the leadership group. Training hard, not cutting corners, upholding a high standard and doing the team thing should be the focus of all senior players so the young guys have a benchmark by which to measure themselves. Being part of the LG means more than just that though, you need to be proactive in helping others, getting to know them and assisting them. Some folk just don't feel comfortable with that. I'm assuming Garland felt he'd be of more value to the team if he concentrated on becoming the best player he can
Agree too. In fact, I bloody detest leadership groups. But that's just me. It just reeks to me of corporate management speak. Understand the need/want to have a structure about these sorts of things but between a captain, vice captain and the 1894 support staff the players have, surely that's enough assistance. Anyway, happy for Dunny. I remember years ago when we were (even more) crap, Dunn and Jones were my favourite players because even though we were getting flogged every week, and those two would cop more than their fair share of flack off people on these forums, I always thought they gave their all every game. Which is way more than could be said for large fractions of the rest of the side. Now look at them..

Agree too. In fact, I bloody detest leadership groups. But that's just me. It just reeks to me of corporate management speak. Understand the need/want to have a structure about these sorts of things but between a captain, vice captain and the 1894 support staff the players have, surely that's enough assistance. Anyway, happy for Dunny. I remember years ago when we were (even more) crap, Dunn and Jones were my favourite players because even though we were getting flogged every week, and those two would cop more than their fair share of flack off people on these forums, I always thought they gave their all every game. Which is way more than could be said for large fractions of the rest of the side. Now look at them..

Exactly, Plus Dunn was thrown around just as much as Watts early in his career

Is that the fittest Chris Dawes has ever looked?? He looks fit...
Looks leaner. Definitely want him to run up the ground more with Hogan sitting closer to the goals.

Looks fitter. Definitely want him to run up the ground more with Hogan sitting closer to the goals.

Thats what he does best, works his opponent over and gets involved in the build up, isnt a great contested player which is why his best season came as the engine in front of cloke

Thats what he does best, works his opponent over and gets involved in the build up, isnt a great contested player which is why his best season came as the engine in front of cloke

Yeah our best work last year was when we moved the ball from end to end using our talls on the wing to take a grab. Flood the backline, talls on the wing, open up the ground and work it to an open forward line. Plus Dawes is a much better kick when he's not lining up for a shot.

Yeah our best work last year was when we moved the ball from end to end using our talls on the wing to take a grab. Flood the backline, talls on the wing, open up the ground and work it to an open forward line. Plus Dawes is a much better kick when he's not lining up for a shot.

I hate that gamestyle though I yearn for the days when we had 4 forwards who could all lead into different spots of the 50 and someone would kick long from the centre of the ground to them

But with modern footy having Kent and Garlett and even Watts being able to turn and sprint back towards the goal means if the big guys on the wing can grab one they can turn quickly and put it on Hogans head with the smalls sprinting back to be front and centre

Looks leaner. Definitely want him to run up the ground more with Hogan sitting closer to the goals.
I kind of agree with you to straighten our focus into the F50, but Hogan has one of the best tanks in our squad. Consistently placed in the 3km time trials. I'd love him to burn his opponents into the ground on a long run and double back.

I have to admit years ago i thought was a lost cause with a dirty mo. But it's great to see him rise up and not only seal a spot in the side but become more of a leader. knows our recent history and loves the club much like Jones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit stiff on a guy who went down before Christmas and came back straight off the physio table in Rd 8.

If Grimes and Dawes can get a gig despite having terrible seasons, than I think Garland can too. Lumumba hasn't even played a game for us yet...

In fairness, maybe he didn't want one.
Really? I thought Garlo was far, far worse than Grimes and Dawes last season?

Also, I believe he decided to take a step back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back