BigFooty Official 2015 Big Footy Phantom Draft (Trial Run)

Remove this Banner Ad

how do you rate the eagles picks?

All player's we picked have question marks and need a lot of development.

Haley Balic seems to rely on others giving him the pill.
Clark well he needs some anger to his game, hit the pill harder.
The other two wont play afl football.

Indeed they do, as I would suggest do most players that have been picked, outside the top 10 or so.

Even if thats the case ( a point which I am not conceding ) , Balic does have a point of difference that in noticeable .

No argument there Clark needs a dose of tenacity and hunger and he may well not make it.

Disagree on Hardwick I think he is a talent and will make it.

Watson I agree with you, but I don't think too many of the players drafted after the third round will ever play AFL, either.

And my last pick you will hate.

But thats part of the fun of The Mock we each get to put our opinions out there.

ROYAL EAGLE is an astute judge, who's knowledge and opinions are valued so thanks for your input.:thumbsu:

Who do you rate higher Baltic or Cavka. I see a lot of similarities.
How is Cavka travelling?

OK, I'm going with a mature age, 20yo, from Swans for this last pick for Geelong. The great Keith Slater likened him to LeCras from the Eagles, I'm not sure I'd go that far, but Nathan Broad has impressed me immensely this year.

Snoop Dog you're up.

Just a quick recap of Carlton's draft result. If I am being honest, I think the Blues did really well in this draft.
1st Pick - In reality it would be great to obtain Weitering or Schache, but that does not look like happening.
Mills is obviously going to going to the Swans, so I think one of the follow names will get picked by the Blues.
Francis, Parish or Weideman.

1. Brisbane Lions - Josh Schache
2. Gold Coast Suns - Jacob Weitering
3. Carlton - Callum Mills
4. Melbourne - Aaron Francis
5. Essendon - Darcy Parish
18. Fremantle - Sam Weideman

While I have knocked Tucker a little for his hands, still getting to pick 21 was a bargain. I did not really consider anyone else with this selection.

21. Carlton - Darcy Tucker

If I did not select Tucker before, I have a feeling Rice would have been my selection. Once again another player that some team will nominate and not get their hands on. Carlton requires a small forward since we've managed to send everyone elsewhere. Hisham has the ability to play in the midfield, so that will be handy in the future.

39. Carlton - Hisham Kerbatieh
46. GWS - Bailey Rice

I always neglect the mature aged players but Brown looked solid as a top up player and I think the AFL system has clicked for him and he looked like a great tall defender. I think he should get another god at AFL level. Perry is a project player that could take a number of years to develop an AFL body, so you could not judge this pick for 3 years. Might be a little soft for AFL football, but this low in the draft, you're rolling the dice.

57. Carlton - Matt Perry
59. Essendon - Mitch Brown

This is a pure upside pick. This kid has not had the ability to focus on AFL football but I think he has enough talent to make it, dedication and football smarts could be the real issue. I really liked his kicking action, that really stood out to me that with a professional environment could make it at AFL level. Still unsure where he would play his best football, part of me wants to say forward, but it may end up being a back. Thought about Surman but he would have to go to the school of McGovern to show his worth.
75. Carlton - Mabior Chol

# 82 GWS - Tom Doedee (Geelong Falcons / 187cm / 80kg)

Knew nothing about this kid at start of year but was suggested to me should watch him as talented kid from a basketball background. Came off a limited prep and been a terrific player for the Falcons and impressed at VC. Plays back and middle and got a bit of something special about him. Terrific kick and weights them really well and to advantage. Got some speed and looks to have good hands as well. Takes a nice contested mark and got a bucketload of courage. Ended up doing his ribs in the last game so not sure when will be seen again much in the 2nd half. I had him in the bracket for my last pick so was pretty happy he lasted to here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick #88 Sydney Luke Surman 196cm 92kg Norwood

Write-up to follow. But ruck/key back. Showed excellent ability in defence in champs. Worthy of a pick here to see what can offer/develop. Big body.

Pick 89. Shane McAdam. 181 cm 78 kg . Claremont . Small Forward.

Ok I am being a bit mischievous here as in all honesty Macadam is the type of player who will go more likely as a rookie , if at all , but I am wanting to get his name out there. The kids from the Kimberly take a bit more time to adjust to the City life and consequently they don't hit their straps on field as early as others in the system.

McAdam is an illusive and will of the wisp small forward who doesn't need many possessions to impact a game. He has cat like instincts , is a one touch player who has X factor . Despite his slight frame he actually tackles very well and has displayed good forward pressure for Claremont.

That's me done.

Chris25 you get to finish the Mock off.

Last edited:
If I was actually drafting for Fremantle, I'd probably go tall again. Dylan Atkins and Jesse Glass-McCasker are two defenders I like more than others, while Josh Minogue would be good value too. But...

Pick 90 Fremantle - Jock Cornell

I was going to take him with my last pick, he's easily the highest rated player I have left on the board. He had a good Championshps for NSW, kicked a few goals and showed some real potential. He reminds me a bit of Nick Suban, similar kick and a strong body.

His ability as a forward is known, but I liked him through the midfield. Showed some smarts and read the hitouts well, there's a fair bit to work with. One of the lesser known Academy players, he'd be better known for being a Daniher cousin. But he'd be a smart bid, because it's unlikely GWS will be able to match.

If I was actually drafting for Fremantle, I'd probably go tall again. Dylan Atkins and Jesse Glass-McCasker are two defenders I like more than others, while Josh Minogue would be good value too. But...

Pick 90 Fremantle - Jock Cornell

I was going to take him with my last pick, he's easily the highest rated player I have left on the board. He had a good Championshps for NSW, kicked a few goals and showed some real potential. He reminds me a bit of Nick Suban, similar kick and a strong body.

His ability as a forward is known, but I liked him through the midfield. Showed some smarts and read the hitouts well, there's a fair bit to work with. One of the lesser known Academy players, he'd be better known for being a Daniher cousin. But he'd be a smart bid, because it's unlikely GWS will be able to match.

yeah good selection and has done well and developing as year is going on. Built a tank to so he will give them more to think about. I think he will just miss given their wont be a lot of selections in the ND but that could change depending on his 2nd half. I passed on him bc I think Doedee has more scope but was in the mix. Also like Tiziani from NSW. He has got some v genuine AFL attributes. Seen him?

If I was actually drafting for Fremantle, I'd probably go tall again.

Chris it is interesting on the going tall business and lack of interest in Dockers going early for top shelf talls. Looking at last year, they took Weller and left Lever, Durdin and Goddard on the table. Need for midfield talent is always high but given the desperate need for rebuilding the spine, I could not read sense into their draft strategy. This year is really thin on KPP and so are they going to miss out again?

So in summary, maybe you should be discussing a job with Fremantle as they need some of your tactics. Mind you I think you need to go early in R1 to get the cream when it comes to talls.

Just a wrap of Adelaide's picks.

Pick 11 - Adelaide: Ryan Burton (192/90 KPF)
- It was really Weideman or Burton here. If this was a genuine IRL selection I'd have gone Weideman - safer bet. But it wasn't. Burton's a local kid who as a 17 year old was one of the best. He'll likely be more a 15-25 in November but I just want to put his name there - if he gets his leg right he's a player. Perhaps not elite but someone who'll slot you 45 a year and with pick 11 you take that every day of the week. Bonner as an elite kicker another consideration as was Milera.

Pick 29 - Adelaide: Wayne Milera (185/76 SF/OM)
- Absolute no brainer here. Milera a top 15 talent for mine with his blend of attributes rare. Year to year improvement strong. Quick, agile, super spacially aware (#1 trait in midfielders for mine) a good kick, versatile, knows the goals, good hit up/link up target. Should never have been available here and definitely goes first round in November, I reckon. Nobody else was considered, this was a steal.

Pick 47 - Adelaide: Reuben William (182/74 SD/OM)
- Between 30-46 only 4 players went who I'd have considered here, wheras four went in the seven picks after I made this one. Was essentially another second rounder for mine with Redman, Brind, Nyuon and Johnson still on the board. Though I picked Milera, more speed was a strong priority so I decided against Redman who's a real AFL talent and Brind who likewise is underrated on here. Nyuon would be nice but we've invested in ROB as our project ruck which left William and Johnson. Picked William as I've seen him more than Johnson even though Johnson could well be a top 30 talent. William's quick, aggressive, aware and has a great attitude, he's the kind of player I'd like at the Crows, so very happy he was available

Pick 65 - Adelaide: Cam Hewett (189/76 BM/Gen FWD)
- It's a shallow draft and this late it's time for speculative punts. No interest in picking a mediocre overager or a battler. They're the safe picks. This late, you're likely only going to get a low grade role player if you play it safe. Hewett has upside. He's tall, might still grow - and he looks raw on the field. You feel like physically he looks like he's grown quickly and isn't quite used to being that size yet - and maybe that's true, I don't know if he's had a growth spurt. But he moves well, finds the ball well and transitions it well. There's scope, I've got him a lot higher based on that scope. Other options were similar upside selections, Sushames, Sullivan, Rioli, Chol & Jeffs

Pick 83 - Adelade: Tim Sullivan (199/90 KP Utility)
- Another South Australian, that's 4/5. And another player who missed the champs with injury, that's 3/5. Sense a theme? That's where the value is found. Sullivan doesn't slip this far if he doesn't get injured. He's athletic and tall. It's a nice mix. But he compliments it with good footy sense. He can rest forward with okay effect. He rucks okay. But down back he's nice. I feel like Siggins is out of the mix this year so we'll want another developing tall. Sullivan offers versatility and upside - shouldn't be there this late. He's a second rounder if he avoided injury.

Other options included:
- Kyle Presbury - who's got an SANFL league record most players would love to have, strong year to year improvement, a good inside/outside split and some nice traits - had Sticks picked him he'd be a second rounder too, for mine.
- Mitch Cox - who showed some nice signs in the champs and went back to the TAC cup and really impressed.
- Jesse Glass-McCasker - the other option as a developing tall but I just favour Sullivan's versatility and locality at this stage.
- Thomas Cameron - someone who's slipped under the radar. Makes things happen, raw but a lot to work with and a basketbll background.
- Maris Olekalns - outside af but has a nice boot, a smart footy brain and the knack of being in the right place at the right time
- and Jordan Dawson - another who Sticks didn't pick and I don't know why. Strong hands, loves to score. Great combo.

yeah good selection and has done well and developing as year is going on. Built a tank to so he will give them more to think about. I think he will just miss given their wont be a lot of selections in the ND but that could change depending on his 2nd half. I passed on him bc I think Doedee has more scope but was in the mix. Also like Tiziani from NSW. He has got some v genuine AFL attributes. Seen him?

With Cornell, I just think he makes the grade. Others might look the better prospects, bit flashier with some nicer attributes. But Cornell does everything well, and could be used in any position. Bit Fasolo like too in that regard. Looking back, he'll be a handier player than some taken before him in my opinion. Assuming he gets taken that is.

I'll review my draft later, but I was pretty happy.

Absolutely staggered Jack Silvagni wasn't selected.

I was thinking 2nd/3rd round he would get picked. From the 3rd round onward I was toying with him as a possible, but elected each time not to as I had already taken the two talls.

As for my final pick.

#86 Collingwood - Clint Hinchliffe (WA – MID)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 23/10/1996
Recruited from: West Perth

Hinchliffe is another extremely high production mid who can really win the ball in bunches. In my view he was WA's best performed player through the u18 champs. He can win the contested ball to a strong level and find plenty of it on the outside also. He has composure with ball in hand and takes his time when he has ball in hand. He is a beautiful user of the footy to target and puts it right out in front of them to lead onto, he is an excellent decision maker and has excellent vision. A very good finisher who can provide some scoreboard impact.

Where Hinchliffe requires further work is with his running. He can at times get caught with the ball and is not quick and certainly is not breaking away from anyone. If he can find a way to make that work. He can be a piece, as something like a poor man's Sam Mitchell, with that same style of game and much the same strengths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back