Remove this Banner Ad

TheJaegerBomb

Cancelled
Aug 22, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco Lions, GS Warriors
As you all know I take a keen interest in our list management and drafting. At this stage I am leaning towards us picking another good ball using mid with our first pick, a small defender with our second pick and either a long term speculative KPF or ruck with our third pick. Hoping Lachie Weller is our first pick at the moment.

My thoughts will change as the year goes on. I will transfer draft profiles across from the phantom threads for everyone to weigh up what they want and think we need.

Keen to hear everyones' thoughts on what we need :)

**Keep it strictly draftees (ND, PSD and RD) - no trading or free agency players

Best non Victorian player available at our pick. We have good depth in the backline with Seb, Clay and Bock, our mids is elite, forwards in Day, Lynch and Dicko and starting to come together so pick the best kid available but try and reduce the go home factor from the Vics that can't be away from Mum for more that 10 mins.

Best non Victorian player available at our pick. We have good depth in the backline with Seb, Clay and Bock, our mids is elite, forwards in Day, Lynch and Dicko and starting to come together so pick the best kid available but try and reduce the go home factor from the Vics that can't be away from Mum for more that 10 mins.
That's like saying "all queenslanders know nothing about footy". Gross generalization.

Prestia.

With our 3 picks, hoping for:

1. Another ruckman for the list (we need a plan B in training to cover Nichols/Gorringe/or injuries).
2. A 190cm'ish strong marking agile mobile fwd (Stevie J style, not key position, to add some versatility to our fwd line).
3. The best available local QLD'er at pick.

With our 3 picks, hoping for:

1. Another ruckman for the list (we need a plan B in training to cover Nichols/Gorringe/or injuries).
2. A 190cm'ish strong marking agile mobile fwd (Stevie J style, not key position, to add some versatility to our fwd line).
3. The best available local QLD'er at pick.

Missing another utility, closest we have is Stanley.

Another key forward or key defender prospect.

Genuine hard ball winner.

Those are my 3 picks.

Reasons are, Gaz will mature and finish in the forward line. That ticks off the Steve j forward.

Bock and Warnock are probably on their last legs 2014-15 will be it most likely. I've said for a long time this will be our short term hole in our list management if not addressed. Hence why I've liked Frawley and perhaps to Look at Carlisle trade wise.

I like utilities in footy as well, they are so rare and genuine match winners on their day. I.e. Goddard, Embley, Goodes, Chad Cornes, Brennan.

That's like saying "all queenslanders know nothing about footy". Gross generalization.

Prestia.

Ummm Yeah, it's not like Big footy is full of Gross generalisations

"Glad to see people are starting to notice how soft and pathetic Shaw is. What a scared human being.
Also, Hall is an absolute turd of a footballer. "
says the darkwingduck :D;)

Lach Weller naturally if he's still there at our first pick.

An actual KPD or KPF prospect that is not a 'project' player would also be nice. Both Schade and Leslie are project KPD's. We need a KPD that has spent his junior career there. Like a Gardiner last year. We also have no KPF's at 2s level. Dixon, Day and Lynch are it. Seems a bit slim.

A ruck as mentioned.

Also wouldn't be adverse to a small forward. If Matera and Hall were to ever go down, that's our stocks pretty much done.

Also wouldn't be adverse to a small forward. If Matera and Hall were to ever go down, that's our stocks pretty much done.

Sumner , Boston ?

Think we are really need of a medium size forward , atm we have have the tall timber and crumbers and that's it.

Petracca would fit the bill for a medium forward. Plays like a KPF.

I actually think getting another KPF is very important in this draft on second thoughts. I'll have a look at some possibilities today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumner, Boston ?
Boston I'll grant you, but he's coming back from a pretty severe injury.

Sumner isn't really a small forward. More a medium forward given how he plays. Relies on overhead marking and working up the ground, rather than crumbs.

This draft is meant to be relatively key position friendly, I think. In that there are quite a few available. Though I suspect clubs that finish beneath us will cash in on these as they're so rare. Clubs like Brisbane etc.

While there is usually one gun key forward in each draft (like a Boyd or Patton) I think there's more like 5-6 key position players in this one. While these guys aren't at the same level as a Boyd or Patton, they are still pretty good. So I think they could mostly be taken in the top 10.

This also lets someone like Weller slip to us. He'd be in the top 10 normally IMO. But with these key position players available, some clubs will overlook Lach in favour for them.

Sunny_ - Thoughts on Scahdey? How long does a club keep a project KPD before they find out he is not capable of putting on weight?

Easily has the skill, desire and work rate to do it. Performs well in the NEAFL but would get murdered at top level. Do we bring him in some time soon to play on the second forward just to see?

Sunny_ - Thoughts on Scahdey? How long does a club keep a project KPD before they find out he is not capable of putting on weight?

Easily has the skill, desire and work rate to do it. Performs well in the NEAFL but would get murdered at top level. Do we bring him in some time soon to play on the second forward just to see?

Maybe he just needs a shot, is not like these guys are muscle bound and they went OK
[URL='http://182.50.142.100/productdetail.asp?cart=add&cartID=2864&catid=231&l=&id=2864&u=&qty=1'] [URL='http://joshleithbloghealth.global2.vic.edu.au/'] [/URL][/URL]

10 draft hopefuls for 2014

Sam Durdin

West Adelaide/South Australia
6/6/96
196cm/87kg
Tall defender/ruckman
Durdin edged himself into South Australia's division-one winning under-18 side and played four games as a 17-year-old. The athletic ruckman, who is just as comfortable in attack, is an excellent overhead mark and reads the game well. Durdin is also versatile, able to switch to a number of positions and have an influence.

Hugh Goddard
Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
24/8/96
195cm/92kg
Tall forward/defender
Goddard is a natural competitor who played four games for Vic Country during the national carnival. He fights for the ball in the air and on the ground, and although he has spent a lot of time in attack, he may be best suited to a key defensive post. The cousin of Bomber Brendon, Goddard marks well and has nice left-foot disposal.

TOM LAMB
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
19/10/96
192cm/84kg
Tall forward
Lamb is an athletic tall who can use his aerobic base to run up and down the wing to attract the ball on the lead. He's strong overhead, and competes at ground level. Injury stopped him from participating in Vic Country's under-18 program but he has a lot of talent and can play at either end of the ground.

Jake Lever
Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
5/3/96
191cm/82kg
Tall defender
Aggressive and tough key defender who thrives on stopping his opponent and crashing into a few bodies on the way through. Lever is physical and will often leave his opponent to run at the ball, take it in his stride and create a rebound. Vocal and constructive, Lever captained Vic Metro in one of its under-18 games this year as a bottom-aged player.

Patrick McCartin
Geelong Falcons/Vic Country
19/4/96
192cm/90kg
Tall forward
McCartin is a leading and marking key forward who keeps on presenting at the ball, and a lot of the time ends up with it. He has the knack of finding space, and he marks strongly on the lead and in contested situations. McCartin kicked five goals for Vic Country in its loss to Western Australia at the under-18 championships, before going on to star for the Falcons in the TAC Cup.

Christian Petracca
Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
4/1/96
185cm/96kg
Medium forward
A late inclusion to the AIS-AFL Academy on the back of his stellar finals series for the Eastern Ranges. A mid-sized forward, Petracca has some spring in his legs, he's strong over the ball and knows his way around goal. Petracca has tricks, and he adds life to games he's in, doing some unpredictable, riskier things that tend to come off.

Jarrod Pickett
South Fremantle/Western Australia
18/8/96
178cm/76kg
Small defender/forward
Pickett has brilliant pace, the essential part of his game. He loves to take things on, tuck the ball under his arm, and go for it. As a defender he can set up attack through that creativity and classy foot disposal, and near goal he's also smart and skillful. The indigenous West Australian was named Australia's best player at under-17 level against New Zealand earlier this year.

Clem Smith
Perth/Western Australia
3/2/96
177cm/67kg
Small defender
There's not much of Smith but that doesn't matter: he's a powerful, compact player who shapes games. The small defender loves to stream out of defence and use his lightning pace and fierce attack on the ball. He averaged 19 disposals during the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, and was named an All Australian. Smith is tough and hard around the contests and can lay a solid bump.

Lachie Weller
Broadbeach/Gold Coast Academy/Queensland
23/2/96
180cm/71kg
Midfielder
The smooth midfielder did well at under-18 level this year and is expected to go even better next season. Weller is a neat kick, knows how play is going to unfold, and has time with the ball. The brother of former Gold Coast midfielder Mav Weller, the 17-year-old has played with Gold Coast's academy side but has not spent enough time in Queensland for the Suns to have priority access to him.

Peter Wright
Calder Cannons/Vic Metro
8/9/96
201cm/94kg
Tall forward/ruckman
One of the standouts of next year's crop, Wright has the special blend of standing above 200cm and still being able to play as a marking, leading goalkicker. Around goal he is hard to stop, and he converts most opportunities, be it a set-shot or in general play. A back injury halted his development slightly but he remains one of the most impressive in the 2014 pool

Remove this Banner Ad

Back