2012 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry about the cryptic title.

The supposed draft order, according to the current ladder:
1. Gold Coast
2. GWS
3. Melbourne
4. Melbourne (Scully Compo - F/S Jack Viney)
5. Brisbane
6. Port
7. Bulldogs
8. Bulldogs (Ward Compo)
9. North
10. Fremantle
11. Richmond
12. Carlton
13. Melbourne (Scully Compo)
14. St Kilda
15. Geelong
16. Essendon (F/S - Joe Daniher)
17. Hawthorn
18. Sydney
19. Collingwood (likely F/S - James Stewart)
20. Adelaide
21. GWS (Phil Davis Compo - Tied to Adelaide's Position)
22. West Coast
23. Brisbane (Rischatelli Compo)

Richmond also activated a 2nd round compo pick which is tied to Port Adeliade's position, so there will be 20ish picks inbetween our 1st and 2nd picks. (~#34 at this stage)

Obvious we have an extreme lack of KP's, wouldn't surprise me to see us use all our picks on them, or at least our first 3.

Mason Shaw - 197cm, 82kg - KPF/Ruck - WA

Famously clocked by Mitch Brown causing that bitch fight on twitter. The fact he steps it up in the big games is a very very nice trait and not to be discounted.

"A tall forward/ruckman who has an appetite for the contest and terrific hands. Kicked seven goals in the WAFL Colts Grand Final in 2010 and has shown a consistent ability to step up in
big moments." - Raff Guadagnino, state academy manager via U18's Champs Program

Kristian Jaksch - 194cm, 85kg - KPD - VIC

Quickly becoming my favie, very strong overhead and in contests which allows him to swing down either end and do damage.

Lachie Plowman - 191cm, 86kg - KPD - VIC

Rebound is the feature of his game. That height though.

Marco Paparone - 193cm, 84kg - KPF - WA

More your CHF type rather than stay at home, athletic ability allows him to play midfield as well, much like Pav.

Tanner Smith - 194cm, 83kg - KPD - VIC

Don't expect him to create play, he's a pure stopper, which is not a bad thing at all.

Liam McBean - 202cm, 84kg - Ruck/KPF - VIC
Aidan Corr - 194cm, 80kg - KPD - VIC
Aaron Luccon - 196cm, 91kg - KPF/Ruck - SA
Nick Rodda - 194cm, 94kg - KPD - WA
Alex Howson - 195cm, 80kg - KPD/KPF - WA

Amazing that they are all genuine top 40 prospects after the dearth of top KP talent lately.

I do think we also need to get ourselves a genuine Small Defender to stop the Rioli's etc. Can always find good ones late. Im happy with the stocks of our midfield/sml/med fwds to carry us thru the 2013 season, so i wouldn't go for many, although if there's one around that is clearly the best talent available I wouldn't shirk it.

Expect to see SW do some more work filling that massive age gap with some more mature agers to go alongside that Saad/Milera masterstroke, this time in the form of KP's.

Kyle Hartigan - Werribee - 194cm - KPD (DOB 1991)
Khan Haretuku - Frankston - 199cm/101kg - KPF/Ruck ('89)
Jackson Coleman - Sandringham - 196cm - KPF ('91)
Tom Lee - Claremont - 193cm - KPF ('91)

If anyone following the state leagues can pop up some names we can add to this list, that would be ace!

Some reading material to get you all started:

Drafting gun Knightmare's 2012 Progressive Mock, Profiles + Rankings
Equally gunnish Chris25's Profiles + Phantom
U18's AFL Championships Guide
U18's AFL Championships Stats (+ DT points) ;)
Shifter Sheehan and Co's Round 1 Video Wrap
Shifter Sheehan and Co's Round 2 Video Wrap
Shifter Sheehan and Co's Round 3 Video Wrap Part 1
Shifter Sheehan and Co's Round 3 Video Wrap Part 2
Shifter Sheehan and Co's Round 4 Video Wrap

Dates to Remember:

Friday June 29th
12:35pm Vic Metro vs Vic Country (LIVE on FoxFooty) [Watch on the AFL site]
2:35pm WA vs SA (LIVE on FoxFooty) [Watch on the AFL site]

Wednesday July 4th
3:35pm Vic Country vs SA (LIVE on FoxFooty) [Watch on the AFL site]
5:35pm Vic Metro vs WA (LIVE on FoxFooty) [Watch on the AFL site]

Thursday 22nd November
NAB AFL Draft

I'll keep the OP updated with new material as it comes.

Who's your man? Call it first and snatch the bragging rights.

Hell of a lot will depend on the delistings, first year coaches are rather notorious for 6-8 changes after the first year to effectively "start" their brand of footy (this being the interim year).

As far as I'm aware, there's been no talent scouts hanging around the BFL this year (was for Isaac Smith before easier access on his promotion to the VFL affiliate), based on this season in isolation you'd be looking at another Redan or Sunbury kid and I simply can't see it unless it's another Orren pick.

Will probably end up popping over to the pub to see the carnival.

I think our priorities should be BPA, kicking skills and speed in that order. Any player we get whether they're indigenous or non indigenous we need to make sure they're not going to be on the first flight back home once their contract is up.

Hell of a lot will depend on the delistings, first year coaches are rather notorious for 6-8 changes after the first year to effectively "start" their brand of footy (this being the interim year).

I looked through the list, and i am so glad i don't have to do it cause some tough tough calls will have to be made. And with Curren and Dunell ready to step up, makes it that much worse.

UPDATED 26/11/11

Brendon Goddard
Lenny Hayes *On record as saying he'll retire if he believes we're not a chance for the flag in '13.
Kosi *Led to believe he has the same clause as Gram
Adam Schneider
Jason Gram - If he plays 10 games in 2012, he gets 2013 as well
Leigh Montagna
Sam Fisher
Stephen Milne *Small mention in a Jon Ralph article of recently signing a 1 year deal. Herald Scum, proceed with caution.
James Gwilt
Ben McEvoy
Sam Gilbert *Rumoured to have re-signed
Rhys Stanley
Arryn Siposs
Sam Crocker
Tom Ledger
Jarryn Geary
Tom Curren (r)
Daniel Archer (r)
Jackson Ferguson (r)
Warrick Andreoli (r)
Dean Polo - No mention of length, im just guessing
Raphael Clarke - No mention of length, im just guessing
Jason Blake
Beau Wilkes - No mention but going by previous "recycled" player contracts only 1 year
Brett Peake

Im expecting to see Sip and Geary amongst the rumoured upcoming announcements.
Ledge is a talent, not on the injury list atm, so he should stay.

I see 3 obviously in the gun;

Crocker
Polo
Peake

Wilkes - in an awkward spot. Deserves a shot, but won't unless Kosi gets injured.
Clarke - still has something to prove. Multiple factors may seem him pushed out, # of HB's we have, cap room.
Blake - may retire

Too hard.

I looked through the list, and i am so glad i don't have to do it cause some tough tough calls will have to be made. And with Curren and Dunell ready to step up, makes it that much worse.

Im expecting to see Sip and Geary amongst the rumoured upcoming announcements.
Ledge is a talent, not on the injury list atm, so he should stay.

I see 3 obviously in the gun;

Crocker
Polo
Peake

Wilkes - in an awkward spot. Deserves a shot, but won't unless Kosi gets injured.
Clarke - still has something to prove. Multiple factors may seem him pushed out, # of HB's we have, cap room.
Blake - may retire

Too hard.
Peake and Polo definitely gone for mine. Their names haven't been mentioned for weeks.

Crocker to the rookie list, Curren elevated.

Wilkes to stay simply because we have no other options at FF.

The 'maybes':
-Ray
-Winmar?
-Clarke
-Blake
-Jones

If we want to keep any of them maybe they get rookied so we have spots on the main list for some young players. If not either delist or trade.

Peake and Polo definitely gone for mine. Their names haven't been mentioned for weeks.

Crocker to the rookie list, Curren elevated.

Wilkes to stay simply because we have no other options at FF.

The 'maybes':
-Ray
-Winmar?
-Clarke
-Blake
-Jones

If we want to keep any of them maybe they get rookied so we have spots on the main list for some young players. If not either delist or trade.

Peake is defintiely gone at seasons end...i've mentioned it in another thread.
Polo is most likely in the same boat
Crocker is gone

I can't see how we could go into 2013 with Blake, Milne, Hayes, Fish, Rooey & Kosi all over 30.

I'd suggest 2 (even 3) of these to retire...thinking Milne & Blake.

I love the draft, can't wait to see what new kids we bring in.

Reckon we'll have to bring in some tall timber at both ends, I like the sound of Mason Shaw

But after reading some other phantom drafts, I think he might go before our first pick

Winmar contracted for another year (most ridiculous extention of all time) and Crocker just not doing enough so can see them both on rookie list next year.

Wilkes will get another crack, we dont exactly have any big forwards in wings and Kosi doesnt have long left.

Peake & Polo will find themselves on trade/delistment list. Wouldnt mind us keeping Polo as he at least offers something (can play a role) if we need him. Ray will go around again, or i hope we trade him to GWS or Gold Coast as he deserves to be keep playing. Raph probably gone aswell.

Blake/Milne/Kosi/Lenny all 50/50 as to whether they go around again. Reckon 2 of them will go.

Here is UPDATED List 20/06/12

Ben McEvoy
Rhys Stanley

Sam Fisher

Nick Riewoldt
Nick Dal Santo
Nicholas Winmar
David Armitage
Tom Simpkin
Jack Steven (dont hold me to this, but assuming got 2 year min extension)
Clint Jones - No official announcement but told us at B&F he had just signed 2 year deal
Terry Milera
Ahmed Saad
Farren Ray - Led to believe signed 2 year deal
Sean Dempster - Could have got 3 years as was talk of 2 or 3 year deal
Sebastian Ross
Daniel Markworth
Jack Newnes
Jimmy Webster
Jay Lever

Brendon Goddard - Restricted Free Agent
Lenny Hayes - Unrestricted Free Agent
Kosi - Unrestricted Free Agent - Has clause in current contract that would take him to 2013
Jason Gram - Restricted Free Agent - - Has clause in current contract that would take him to 2013
Leigh Montagna - Unrestricted Free Agent
Stephen Milne - Unrestricted Free Agent - Herald Sun reporting has signed until 2013, although cant find anything else. ARTICLE HERE
James Gwilt - Unrestricted Free Agent
Raphael Clarke - Unrestricted Free Agent
Jason Blake - Unrestricted Free Agent
Adam Schneider
Sam Gilbert - Rumoured to have signed new 2 or 3 year deal
Arryn Siposs
Sam Crocker
Tom Ledger
Jarryn Geary
Dean Polo - No mention of length, im just guessing
Beau Wilkes - No mention but going by previous "recycled" player contracts only 1 year
Brett Peake

ROOKIES (Note pretty sure all rookies are on 1 year contracts)

Tom Curren - Pretty sure has reached max time can be rookied, needs to be promoted or delisted
Daniel Archer - Pretty sure has reached max time can be rookied, needs to be promoted or delisted
Jackson Ferguson
Warrick Andreoli
Sam Dunnel
Darren Minchington
Cameron Shenton
Jordan Staley

If we're wanting to have a decent number of picks in this strong draft, as well as promoting anyone like Curren, or Dunell, or Fergo, then I reckon we'll simply have to hit the trade table fairly hard this year and look to offload one or two from our 12-25 bracket (ie those in our best 22 or thereabouts, but not in our top 12 or so). So the likes of Gram, Gilbert, Raph, Ray, maybe even CJ, might be up for grabs, or else we'll just have to make do with not many picks in the best draft possibly ever.

Also, do we have a full list this year, or are we one or two short, due to our tight salary cap last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we're wanting to have a decent number of picks in this strong draft, as well as promoting anyone like Curren, or Dunell, or Fergo, then I reckon we'll simply have to hit the trade table fairly hard this year and look to offload one or two from our 12-25 bracket (ie those in our best 22 or thereabouts, but not in our top 12 or so). So the likes of Gram, Gilbert, Raph, Ray, maybe even CJ, might be up for grabs, or else we'll just have to make do with not many picks in the best draft possibly ever.

Also, do we have a full list this year, or are we one or two short, due to our tight salary cap last year?
Pretty sure we have a full list because we weren't able to promote a rookie if we needed unless someone went on the LTI list.

Well I just counted our senior list and we look to have 38 on it and I also counted the Bulldogs list, as I figured they wouldn't have as tight a salary cap as us and would be able to have a full list and they have 40 on theirs, by the look of it, so it looks like we're two short. If that is the case then all we have to do is free up some salary cap space (easier said than done!) and delist/trade/retire 3 others and we'll be able to put up to 5 more on our list for next year. Lose 4 from our list this year and we can add 6 for next year and so on. So that's not so bad if that is in fact the case. :thumbsu:

The Saints and the Dogs both have 46 players on the list. I haven't looked to see how they have split the list, but we have it as 38 on the main list, 2 veterans, and 6 rookies. After this season, the number of rookies needs to drop to 4 (additional 2 was only temporary whilst GC and GWS were building their lists) i.e. the list size reduces back to a maximum of 44.

Definitely looks like 38 on the main list Squizz (according to this list)

Here is my take....

Ben McEvoy
Rhys Stanley
Sam Fisher
Nick Riewoldt
Nick Dal Santo
Nicholas Winmar
David Armitage
Tom Simpkin
Jack Steven
Clint Jones
Terry Milera
Ahmed Saad
Farren Ray
Sean Dempster
Sebastian Ross
Daniel Markworth
Jack Newnes
Jimmy Webster
Jay Lever
Brendon Goddard
Lenny Hayes
Kosi
Jason Gram
Leigh Montagna
James Gwilt
Raphael Clarke
Adam Schneider
Sam Gilbert
Arryn Siposs
Tom Ledger
Jarryn Geary
Beau Wilkes
Tom Curren
Jackson Ferguson

Retired/Delisted
Stephen Milne
Brett Peake
Dean Polo
Jason Blake
Sam Crocker

ROOKIES (Note pretty sure all rookies are on 1 year contracts)
Darren Minchington
Sam Dunnel

Delisted
Warrick Andreoli
Cameron Shenton
Jordan Staley
Daniel Archer

This would mean we need to add:
6 players to the main list
2 players to the rookie list
(Blue = on shaky ground if we need to delist more)

If Wilkes is kept you'd think the club will be having a word with Kosi that contains the phrase "do you mind if we push you over here?" as the 3 KP is kept with Rooey + Stanley + Wilkes, Blake also has the same premise with Simpkin seemingly on the surplus requirement when all the back 6 are fit and firing, so would not at all be surprised if the club looked to retire them off. Peake & Polo are gone unless they get games in the second half and kill it because they've not had a sniff yet and that's pretty much a goodbye, Ray has arguably been equaled or is not that far ahead of blokes like Newnes which is a danger in a good draft because then you can pick up a similar player of a similar age and go your best jumping fist pump, so he's on shaky ground (4+1). You'd then think the rookie list would get some work as well with Archer worried since they can't seem to like him in one spot and let him play it.

You've then got a question of if you persist with Crocker as a 21 year old or reset, if Raph has done enough to go around again, if Jones' disposal limitation is still able to be carried by his clearance and shutdown work, so if say all the answers are "no" and they're gone, that's 8+1 rookie since I haven't really been focused on the rookies this year.

If the rookie list is to shrink and we want to keep Curren, Dunell, Ferguson and Minchington it may well be brutal this year. We can upgrade rookies instead of national draft selections, but surely we'd want to use 4-5 picks in what seems to be regarded a decent U/18 crop. And we will also be looking to fix the list gaps (rucks and lack of 22-25yo depth).

Seems bit odd that rookie list gets cut back. Hope thats not true.

Dunell, Curren & Ferguson i reckon will be promoted. Would love to see Andreoli get another year. Cant see point in getting Staley & delisting him 1 year later, doesnt make sense. I reckon we will be looking very closely at Cook & Cockie from Zebs, also maybe Sikora as a backup ruckman.

So basically if it stays at 6 rookies:

Promoted to senior list: Sam Dunell, Tom Curren & Jackson Ferguson

Re-Rookie: Warrick Andreoli, Jordan Staley & Darren Minchington

Rookie Draft: Myke Cook, Adam Cockie, Michael Sikora

I reckon if we could pull that off we'd be looking pretty damn good ;)

I see Ledger as fairly important in the post-Lenny era, but there might be more activity in trade week than last year (as we try and shrink the list to fit new picks in as part of re-shaping the list).

Agree mate...i think it's gonna be brutal.
I still think 3 will retire (Blake, Milne, Kosi, Lenny - please 1 more year Lenny!) I hope Kosi's contract isn't the only reason he stays.

3 defintiely delisted (Peake, Polo, Crocker)

A few questions....

1). How long can we continue with Jones, Ray, Clarke, Gram, Joey etc getting games ahead of Ross, Newnes, Ledger & Webster? If these youngens are pencilled in for 10-12 games next season, can we afford to offer contracts to older, similar sized/type players?

2). would Winmar's payout be much?

3). Is there a big name on the way out (via trade)

4). Will we use 5 picks in the ND? Surely we'd want to add 1-2 more Rookies.

Seems bit odd that rookie list gets cut back.

They can change the rule, but the rule stated that the extra 2 rookies only applies for the 2010-2012 seasons. If you have 2 veterans in addition to the 38 on the main list, the maximum number of rookies (aside from international/scholarship) goes back to 4 as far as I can see.

Other combinations - list of 38 including 2 veterans and 8 rookies (to reduce to 6), or 38 with one veteran outside and 7 rookies (to reduce to 5).

Agree mate...i think it's gonna be brutal.
I still think 3 will retire (Blake, Milne, Kosi, Lenny - please 1 more year Lenny!) I hope Kosi's contract isn't the only reason he stays.

3 defintiely delisted (Peake, Polo, Crocker)

A few questions....

1). How long can we continue with Jones, Ray, Clarke, Gram, Joey etc getting games ahead of Ross, Newnes, Ledger & Webster? If these youngens are pencilled in for 10-12 games next season, can we afford to offer contracts to older, similar sized/type players?

2). would Winmar's payout be much?

3). Is there a big name on the way out (via trade)

4). Will we use 5 picks in the ND? Surely we'd want to add 1-2 more Rookies.
IMO Ray, Clarke, Jones aren't worth persisting with. Gram and Joey are if they keep playing well and it's always healthy to have competition for spots. You can't go pencilling in young players for games otherwise you get a situation like Melbourne.

Interesting you mentioned Webster, has he been playing well at Sandy? I haven't seen any of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back