AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Or a better one. So far Wright has played 1 good season in his career as the #1 KPF . The numbers he produced on Saturday where gold for a second ruck / forward. :)
It’s a funny situation this year though as teams are at least as worried about Langford and Stringer, even though neither is a typical #1.

So Wright is probably getting the number 1 tall but at least he’s getting plenty of space as nobody is zoning off those guys.

I would play him higher and get him presenting up and working back. Suits his game and leaves plenty of space deep for Langers and Package.

It’s a funny situation this year though as teams are at least as worried about Langford and Stringer, even though neither is a typical #1.

So Wright is probably getting the number 1 tall but at least he’s getting plenty of space as nobody is zoning off those guys.

I would play him higher and get him presenting up and working back. Suits his game and leaves plenty of space deep for Langers and Package.
Yep I agree. My least favourite version is the arm up in the goal square "kick it on my head" one.

I like the marking at 55m and kicking very long, very straight drop punt goals version

Still needs to be much stronger in the contest. Seems like he has no ability to wrestle and just stands there with his arms up allowing his opponent to easily nudge him under the footy
Will not happen. He will not get any better than he is now in that area. Have been saying for a while he is just one of those people who despite being big is simply not physically strong. It happens.

Will not happen. He will not get any better than he is now in that area. Have been saying for a while he is just one of those people who despite being big is simply not physically strong. It happens.
I have doubts about him being best 22 then, he isnt strong in a contested mark situation but unlike Jones he doesnt offer much once the ball hits the deck. He had a hot run in '22 but i think the rest of his output with us is similar to his time at suns.

I am not saying he is a bad player I just dont think a lead up tall is what we need. Obviously the preferred option is a guy that can take big contested grab like DIxon/Darling in their prime but if not that I at least want a Key forward that crashes packs and makes a contest. Like that young fella at suns, Walters. Despite small amount of touches he is having a bigger impact for them than King who is playing a lot like wright.

I have doubts about him being best 22 then, he isnt strong in a contested mark situation but unlike Jones he doesnt offer much once the ball hits the deck. He had a hot run in '22 but i think the rest of his output with us is similar to his time at suns.

I am not saying he is a bad player I just dont think a lead up tall is what we need. Obviously the preferred option is a guy that can take big contested grab like DIxon/Darling in their prime but if not that I at least want a Key forward that crashes packs and makes a contest. Like that young fella at suns, Walters. Despite small amount of touches he is having a bigger impact for them than King who is playing a lot like wright.

He’s clearly best 22. The bar is very low for guys who can play forward and ruck competently.

That being said Wright is a genuinely good footballer and makes our forward line much more functional imo

If you think of him as a supplementary forward who can be a very effective second ruck then it all looks different. 40 goals + high level ruck back-up is definitely a best 22 output.

Jones is doing a good job of getting to contest after contest and making sure the ball comes to ground.

If you think of him as a supplementary forward who can be a very effective second ruck then it all looks different. 40 goals + high level ruck back-up is definitely a best 22 output.

This is what I think we need to move towards.

Draper (or Bryan) being chopped out by Wright with Caddy and Jones providing the hard running marking targets.

This is what I think we need to move towards.

Draper (or Bryan) being chopped out by Wright with Caddy and Jones providing the hard running marking targets.
Maybe if its draper (or a more consistent upgrade of his type of player) then I can see wright in team but if its bryan or 36 YO goldy (Not young goldy) then I dont like the mix. No one is hitting packs and making sure the ball hits the deck if they dont mark it.

Maybe if its draper (or a more consistent upgrade of his type of player) then I can see wright in team but if its bryan or 36 YO goldy (Not young goldy) then I dont like the mix. No one is hitting packs and making sure the ball hits the deck if they dont mark it.

Draper goes to the bench and Wright goes I to the ruck.

Caddy becomes the pack crasher.

He is best 22 if he is playing second ruck. If we play two rucks then you have to question if he can be the number 1 forward. I tend to agree. I want a strong contested marking FF. I am happy if Wright is a FWD / Ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, wrote the same a year or two ago and Lore thought I was smoking crack.

He's very weak for a man of his size.

That's why I was surpirsed he was outed for 4 weeks. It's so not in his nature to be agressive or hurt others, and the tribunal would've known that as well. You could see he braced for contact at the last minute when he realised there was going to be a collision.

They decided to make an example of Wright, and then backflipped and allowed others to get off more lightly for doing the same thing or worse.

🤔 I don’t remember any of this. Did I seriously say that Wright would get stronger since he’s been here? I might’ve said more confident or a better overhead mark with better training… Or perhaps you are remembering something about Bellchambers having one agro game in every 30? I remember being overly hopeful that might have occurred more often… 🤔

Would’ve skipped the showers tonight, was given an absolute bath out there. Gets pushed off the ball so easily for a man of his size and can’t take a grab unless it’s given to him on a silver platter. Needs to work harder for sure!

This was always the knock on him.. even from his GC days. Getting the best out of wright is probably the single best thing that Truck did in his coaching tenure here. Only time Wright has looked like a semi decent contested forward.

Yes he had a bad game tonight but he also took Taylor out of the contest for most of it and presented well to the wings and allowed Goldy to rest on the bench and was competent as 2nd ruck. For me that is enough to hold his spot. I think we need to get better at recognising that some guys are playing team roles and that might look different to big stats. Clearly you would prefer him marking and kicking goals.. but suggestions he is not best 22 is a bit premature.

I think the most important part is that he can play 2nd ruck. IF we go with a 2 ruck set up then I don't think we can play Wright, Jones and Langford in the same forward line without becoming too tall.

I think the most important part is that he can play 2nd ruck. IF we go with a 2 ruck set up then I don't think we can play Wright, Jones and Langford in the same forward line without becoming too tall.

I was a sceptic but it worked two weeks ago against Collingwood. I think Wright plays better as just a forward, he hasn’t got the physicality to compete as a second ruck and Draper gives us a huge advantage there. Also the extra tall up forward puts the third/fourth/fifth defender on Langford/Stringer which creates a great mismatch opportunity. Axe Davey and play the extra tall in Draper (when fit) would be my preference. Note I would not be rolling the dice with a Weideman/Bryan/Visentini in this scenario.

I was a sceptic but it worked two weeks ago against Collingwood. I think Wright plays better as just a forward, he hasn’t got the physicality to compete as a second ruck and Draper gives us a huge advantage there. Also the extra tall up forward puts the third/fourth/fifth defender on Langford/Stringer which creates a great mismatch opportunity. Axe Davey and play the extra tall in Draper (when fit) would be my preference. Note I would not be rolling the dice with a Weideman/Bryan/Visentini in this scenario.
And watch sides walk it out of the back half like it is not funny .
Wright is fine as second ruck . How many second rucks have 20 plus hitouts ?
His strength is average and his contested marking is poor but yesterday he put on a number of blocks around the contest and actually beat their number one ruck in a lot of contests.

If he continues in the forward/ruck role he could get 30 goals this year and average over 10 hitouts a game. Last player to do that was Tippett in his first year at the Swans, the time before that Luke Darcy in 2004.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back