Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

What a clinic.

So faced with a season with a gun forward line and very strong defence but a thin midfield he decides to turn weakness into strength. He rolls through 7-8 mids to share the workload and wears down the opposition who lean heavily on 3-4.

🤴

And that's something we've built on over recent seasons, and this year it's paying off

It's no longer just the vets running through their but the maturing kids who are around that 50+ games into their careers - understanding their game and their role in the team

It's great coaching and buy in from the players

Build the statue now.
Particularly if he wins another one (or several, who knows) would love a statue of him and Bomber both holding up the cup out the front of KP, coach/captain GF day style.

Bomber for breaking the drought and helping us become a legit football club again, Scott as the genius who continued the legacy who goes down as one of the greats.

Is there any Geelong supporter who still thinks Chris Scott isn't the greatest coach we've ever, nay, the league has ever had?

Is there any Geelong supporter who still thinks Chris Scott isn't the greatest coach we've ever, nay, the league has ever had?
This thread has 5 previous volumes of 10000 or more posts each.

Its been a long road to this point and I don think there is anyone posting here that hasnt, at some point, said he was done.

Today, I imagine its difficult to find anyone wanting him gone.

How things can change and evolve given time.

Go Catters

I was the biggest Chris Scott critic alive from 2016-2021.

I was wrong, sign the great man up for life.

Its been a long road to this point and I don think there is anyone posting here that hasnt, at some point, said he was done.

Go Catters
I've been a supporter but no doubt had a few hissy fits along the journey.

We are lucky he's been give the time and space to grow as a person and coach. I can only surmise one of his greatest strengths is giving other people the opportunity to develop to their greatest potential, then structuring the team to make the most of the available tools. He seems to be a genius at that these days. Yes, he is surrounded by talented assistants, but again, he appears to have the ability to give them space to contribute and turn the sum of the parts into a successful whole. A coach with a less restrained ego wouldn't be able to do that as successfully. Just my two bobs worth.

Not sure he's the best coach OAT. Norm Smith won 6 flags as a coach. Hafey coached 4 with an almost 70% W/L at Richmond. Sheeds 4 and coached almost 700 games.

He is probably, or at least will be our GOAT coach. But that's understating Bomber, who was part of what completely changed this club from top to bottom into what it is today. Then Reg Hickey also won 3 flags for us.

He’s right at the top of his game at the moment.
His ability to adapt the game style to both what’s required to win and to suit the list is first class.
For those who question his communication have a look at Longmuir and Fagan Press Conferences- then have a review of some of Scott’s from last year following losses…..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure he's the best coach OAT. Norm Smith won 6 flags as a coach. Hafey coached 4 with an almost 70% W/L at Richmond. Sheeds 4 and coached almost 700 games.

He is probably, or at least will be our GOAT coach. But that's understating Bomber, who was part of what completely changed this club from top to bottom into what it is today. Then Reg Hickey also won 3 flags for us.
Yep, Bomber killed off the acceptance of mediocrity that was throughout the club to the core. That was a massive task.

Last edited:
I think there's a few coaches with claims above Scotty in terms of the greatest in the history of the league.

Greatest coach of the AFL era he definitely has claims to.
Back in the day the coaches were motivators and not tacticians per se. Now they must be both.

So Chris Scott wins and so does Geelong. GOAT imho.

The Greatest Team and the Greatest Coach of All!

Back in the day the coaches were motivators and not tacticians per se. Now they must be both.

So Chris Scott wins and so does Geelong. GOAT imho.

The Greatest Team and the Greatest Coach of All!
That's similar to saying that Gary Ablett Snr isn't as good as Buddy because he played on instinct and not within structures.

I don't buy into that.

Every era has merit.

For mine top players win flags not coaches . We got Cameron and we got the flag in 22 . Barassi who was a legendary flag winning coach , went back to his original club Melb in 81 , his 1st year their they won one game for the year , beat Footscray by a single point , so they nearly lost all 22 games for the year - he just didnt have the playing talent their . Look at Clarkson at NM , no joy whatsoever

Your comment about Thompson , changing the club , for mine the change came when Blight came in , in the 70s Geel for the most part were hopeless , in the 80s apart from 2 very strong years under Billy Goggin , the Cats were hopeless , frustrating and inconsistent

Since 89 when Blight was appointed , Geel have been very consistent with the best win /loss record in the comp , and a very strong club

FWIW Premierships give every supporter of any club tremendous joy , however as a measure of excellence i think they are way overrated

The last 2 years Coll in 23 and Geel in 22 , they have been terribly weak years , there is no genuine heavyweight that you have to knock over

You say Thompson in 2007 , Geel played Pt Ade , in 89 Geel played Haw , it is chalk and cheese mate

For mine top players win flags not coaches . We got Cameron and we got the flag in 22 . Barassi who was a legendary flag winning coach , went back to his original club Melb in 81 , his 1st year their they won one game for the year , beat Footscray by a single point , so they nearly lost all 22 games for the year - he just didnt have the playing talent their . Look at Clarkson at NM , no joy whatsoever

Your comment about Thompson , changing the club , for mine the change came when Blight came in , in the 70s Geel for the most part were hopeless , in the 80s apart from 2 very strong years under Billy Goggin , the Cats were hopeless , frustrating and inconsistent

Since 89 when Blight was appointed , Geel have been very consistent with the best win /loss record in the comp , and a very strong club

FWIW Premierships give every supporter of any club tremendous joy , however as a measure of excellence i think they are way overrated

The last 2 years Coll in 23 and Geel in 22 , they have been terribly weak years , there is no genuine heavyweight that you have to knock over

You say Thompson in 2007 , Geel played Pt Ade , in 89 Geel played Haw , it is chalk and cheese mate
A few things I disagree with here.

Blight had a good era that was all downhill skiing, there was no toughness in those sides. Additionally Gary Ayres ran the club aground when he was there. The team that Bomber took over was a complete mess.

In 2007 port were a very good team until they shat the bed in the Grand Final. People forget they were strong and that one game in the GF blew them up. They beat us at K Park a month earlier and knocked off the reigning premiers in that final series.

Bomber created an attacking gameplan in 2007 to a league that had been bogged down in defensive mindset for years. That was coaching, purely

Yes coaches need good players but to write off the work of elite coaches is not something I can agree with.

Completely different. GAS would still excel doing exactly the same things he did 30-40 years ago - apart from the poleaxing stuff 😄
It's not completely different.

I also think it's pretty disrespectful to legends of the game like Jock McHale, Norm Smith, Reg Hickey etc.

I'm not a fan of recency bias at all.

I believe the AFL team of the century is complete BS. Almost noone prior to 1960 was included....give me a spell.

I am looking at it from a different angle though, I think the Geelong VFA premiership teams of the 1800s deserve as much praise as any Geelong team....but that requires respecting all eras....which doesn't generally happen in our game.

It's not completely different.

I also think it's pretty disrespectful to legends of the game like Jock McHale, Norm Smith, Reg Hickey etc.

I'm not a fan of recency bias at all.

I believe the AFL team of the century is complete BS. Almost noone prior to 1960 was included....give me a spell.

I am looking at it from a different angle though, I think the Geelong VFA premiership teams of the 1800s deserve as much praise as any Geelong team....but that requires respecting all eras....which doesn't generally happen in our game.
That’s my vintage, but I disagree. We are the best run club and have a great team, based in Geelong, in the midst of a NATIONAL competition, where a club can not just buy what they want. This is a truly remarkable achievement. Every year since his tenure with us, bar 2, we have been in contention, and we are the envy of the competition.
Off-field, CS is also a role model, so that the total package is superb.
Great coach.
Best results ever W/L.
Fantastic spokesperson.
Hungry for success, and also aware of as much equality as possible, even though that is never happening.

Scott has demonstrated he has an exceptional footy brain. He and his coaches prepare well and make good decisions during games. Maybe more understated is how he has evolved, as posted above, and with Selwood, brought in a deeper cultural trait than just no mediocrity or dickhead. The care for your teammates, for the fans, for anybody really could be his true legacy, as it is Selwood's at the club. Scott's greatness goes well beyond gameday tactics and training. He seems to work on so many different levels with the playing group and it shows.

That’s my vintage, but I disagree. We are the best run club and have a great team, based in Geelong, in the midst of a NATIONAL competition, where a club can not just buy what they want. This is a truly remarkable achievement. Every year since his tenure with us, bar 2, we have been in contention, and we are the envy of the competition.
Off-field, CS is also a role model, so that the total package is superb.
Great coach.
Best results ever W/L.
Fantastic spokesperson.
Hungry for success, and also aware of as much equality as possible, even though that is never happening.

Yeah I agree it's great what's happening. Is it a better effort than the back to back teams on 1951-52 that were a rebuilding club (literally) and had to travel down the highway every second week while every other club stayed home in Melbourne.

Or the 1800s team that won 6 flags, probably having to get a horse and cart up to Melbourne (I dunno) and also a much thinner talent pool in Geelong than Melbourne back then.

The mid 1920s to late 1930s were one of the strongest eras in footy history and we racked up 3. flags.

Bomber had to break a 44 year drought that was bringing the club and the community down.

Every era had it's struggles and merit in what they achieved. They should all be respected.

Recency bias....it's rampant.

Go Catters

You can scour every single one of my posts on the subject.

At no point did I ever doubt him and that is the 2000000 per cent truth. I simply never ever subscribed to the theory that you can rid yourself of a man who is keeping you in some form of contention while all but turning over an entire crop of players.

I never bought into the whole ‘this won’t win us finals’ thing because really, what does that mean? Finals are just three more games with more noise. Players in both sides fumble more and the game is a bit scrappier. Big deal. There is more luck, and players going to water, involved in that sort of thing than any tactical deficiency.

The rules don’t suddenly change on finals night. So I never had any problem with him being there and I was glad he got vindication in 2022 and that people are onboard the train now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back