Traded 2. Billie Smedts (2011-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm getting a tad worried. He looks great going sideways.
Is there a stat for that?

He really has to learn how to take more one on one marks. Right now (and I know it's still early) I dont trust him under pressure at all.

Never used to trust Lonners either !

VC , I reall thought he was playing well and he get injured / rested . I watched him in the VFL the other day and is far too good for that level. I have no doubt he will be a long term player for us.

I'm far from done on him.

I just wonder if the current space and time that is available at AFL level is not helping him.
i.e. He loves to move sideways. So rather than release he will move sideways with an opponent and lose time for the next player.

In theory that should create more time. But it's not.

Question. Assuming he achieves all levels anyone could expect of him, where would he play?
50% mid, 50% forward?

After such good performances in the VFL - then Knights coming out and saying how good he has been and above VFL level - he played a shocker against the Crows. Has not instilled any confidence in me for his short future.

He was not alone I know but he had so little impact and it was such a big game for him. I am thinking more next season for Billie now.

Took a couple of good grabs on Saturday :thumbsu:

Think he might just need another 20 senior games before we see what he can do at senior level. Has moments but then very little. Needs to stay involved in the game more. Still I have learned to be more patient and know it takes many players 50 or so senior games for a young player to find their form and confidence in the AFL.

Billie's time at the Cats comes to a bit of a frustrating conclusion after being traded to the Blues as part of the Zac Touey deal.

Billie never really got going at GFC as injuries seemed to always override his position in the team.

Wish him the best of luck for his future endeavours.

GO Catters

One of the worst high draft picks I think I ever saw. How he managed to last as long as he did is quite incredible. His kicking technique, lack of awareness and skinny frame is the kind of thing you associate with 15yr old footballers. Not AFL listed footballers on 175k+ per year.

A classic example of "hoist on your own petard"......

wpid-homer-simpson-doh.jpg

Every human being has the right to make early predictions as that is essentially what they are . . . predictions. But after you see a body of work, 5 games, 15 games, 30 games and then start asking questions, I don't think there's much of an issue there and Billie Smedts after a short sample of game time in the AFL, was quite poor and never once looked like a player taken at number 15 (or was it 16) in the National draft. I am surprised another club in Carlton have taken a punt on him to be truthful. This isn't a kid who showed potential like Hamling or Jansen did, who had immature bodies but were still clearly developing into their frames, this was a kid who was built like Andrew Mackie and had the fragility of a Mitch Clark x 2. Again, one of the worst high draft picks I ever saw. Hooper was probably the worst of the lot but Billie is right near him.

Every human being has the right to make early predictions as that is essentially what they are . . . predictions. But after you see a body of work, 5 games, 15 games, 30 games and then start asking questions, I don't think there's much of an issue there and Billie Smedts after a short sample of game time in the AFL, was quite poor and never once looked like a player taken at number 15 (or was it 16) in the National draft. I am surprised another club in Carlton have taken a punt on him to be truthful. This isn't a kid who showed potential like Hamling or Jansen did, who had immature bodies but were still clearly developing into their frames, this was a kid who was built like Andrew Mackie and had the fragility of a Mitch Clark x 2. Again, one of the worst high draft picks I ever saw. Hooper was probably the worst of the lot but Billie is right near him.

Couldn't disagree more Bob. There's even a video package that was put together from 2012-2013 games. He showed infinitely more than Hamling or Jansen ever did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back