Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

Four brothers, a whole family? That is a huge sacrifice for a family to bear.
My heart aches for your Grandmother and all of your family.
The legacy of men serving in war and returning to families damaged, is current to this day.
A difficult thing to grow up with no doubt.

My Great Grandfather was literally blown to pieces at Passchendaele.
He didn't have to serve, he was 30 years old and the Headmaster of the local school at Bathurst, with a wife and 5 children, as all of the local men had gone and not come back he went because he considered it a duty he must do.
He was a Bren gunner and had just come off the front to rest behind lines when there was a direct hit on the camp from Big Bertha. There was nothing left to bury but of course he does have a grave at Villiers-Bretonneux, one of the countless thousands.
My Great Grandmother was left destitute as there was no war widow pension in those days, my Grandmother who was the oldest child in the family had to immediately find work to support the rest.
There are so many stories of damage, everyone suffers.

I remember reading Doris Lessing (essay on her theory but also her books) on how, because of WWI the link to 'Good Fathering and effective Fathers' was lost to modern society, because of outright loss of the Father or the damaged Fathers who returned from WWI and that this was then magnified by the same thing happening in the WWII.
I believe this theory is true, that there is a huge schism that was created by these wars in the psyche of society and the 'Lost Fathers'. This theory also extends to the paternal Govt roles that were compromised and the 'trust' damaged.

To me the legacy of Anzac day is to yes, remember families but mainly to remember where never to go again.
Doris Lessing is absolutely correct. White Australia imho has still never recovered from the desecration of a generation which had so much promise, was better educated than any other period prior, and, for its time, more progressive than many of its counterparts.

Thanks Pamcake1 and moginie for your posting on ANZAC Day. I was especially taken with the point you made drawn from Lessing, Pammy, about Fathers and Fathering. My paternal grandfather was in the 2/23 in North Africa during WWII and the impact of his war had a massive negative impact on my father’s life. I loved my dad, but he wasn’t very good at being a Father, primarily because he never learned how to do it. It took two generations to completely wash the impact of that war away.

I was incommunicado yesterday - but I finally finished everything I needed to do for work (for now) and the went to the Nick Cave gig as a reward of sorts. It’s been a long journey from The Seaview Ballroom to the Plenary Theatre for Nick Cave and as I looked around at the audience, for some of his fans. For the oldies, he played ‘Shivers’ and this, which perhaps was his way of saying farewell to Brian Oblivion.

Thanks Pamcake1 and moginie for your posting on ANZAC Day. I was especially taken with the point you made drawn from Lessing, Pammy, about Fathers and Fathering. My paternal grandfather was in the 2/23 in North Africa during WWII and the impact of his war had a massive negative impact on my father’s life. I loved my dad, but he wasn’t very good at being a Father, primarily because he never learned how to do it. It took two generations to completely wash the impact of that war away.

I was incommunicado yesterday - but I finally finished everything I needed to do for work (for now) and the went to the Nick Cave gig as a reward of sorts. It’s been a long journey from The Seaview Ballroom to the Plenary Theatre for Nick Cave and as I looked around at the audience, for some of his fans. For the oldies, he played ‘Shivers’ and this, which perhaps was his way of saying farewell to Brian Oblivion.

Thanks Kimba as per usually is the case, you have given me the perfect hook, to hang off and swing from:

The received thought currently is that it actually takes four generations to erase intergenerational trauma.
(There are always exceptions to the rules and exceptional people. Nothing is ever set in stone because we are not machines and are unique in ourselves).
Making a concerted effort to deal with intergenerational trauma, as in deciding; I'm not going to do it that way, react that way, feel that way, be that way, consciously speeds the process along.
It all takes effort as change never comes without effort.
I will not use sacrifice here, as by using that word (concept) means ultimately you are including losses.
There are no losses only gains to be had, by making an effort to change oneself because in the end my friend(s) you only have any power over yourself.

As a metaphorical example:

Your Father does the rinsing the scraps from the plates etc. and stacking them on the sink.
You do the main washing and depending on how well your father did his job, depends on how much you have to scrub.
Your son does the rinse and stacking. (there maybe plates that get rejected and have to be returned to get bits missed off).
Their son does the drying (air drying is a relevancy here) and puts them away.

Ah you say but I have a dishwasher, I don't need to do the dishes by hand any longer.
Machines have their own drawbacks they are never perfectly designed unless you designed them yourself for your exact requirements:
1/they require power. (Resourses & money for therapy over generations)
2/they still need to be stacked and emptied. (labour is still required)
3/they have to use caustic chemicals (particularly rinsing aids) that leave residues that you will then consume and have deleterious long term affects.(drugs and alchohol)
4/If you don't want to be treated like a machine, with built in obsolescence and the next model ready on the production line, mechanical moving parts that need to be serviced, filters-everybody forgets to clean the filters-because they don't see them getting clogged up and all the other attendant issues in dealing with a machine.

Why have I just used doing the dishes as a metaphor for men (and their fathers).
Because they always complain about doing the dishes.
Why.
Why do they think, that they shouldn't do them, be thankful to do them, take pride in doing them.

If you're not going to do the dishes are you expecting a woman to (reference men blaming women for their own issues or expecting them to always carry the emotional load of their disaffections)
If you want to be a smartarse and say well I'll just use disposable plates, sure kick the can down the road and live with and sink into the mountain of refuse that creates.
No one taught me how to do the dishes/ I grew up with a dishwasher, well learn or keep whinging about it:(Can you hear yourself / will anyone listen to that, forever.
Break all the dishes rather than clean them, that is the age old go to, violence, does it get you anywhere.

5b54993bac5246ff09fc99bc3e43d9a6.jpg

P.S. MR Brian Oblivion is not totally off the scene. He has been blocked from only the SFA part of BF. He can see all the posts here but not like or comment and is elsewhere on the BF site (eg. St Kilda forum) and is on Direct Msg.
PPS. You all know that this is a general post and not aimed at anyone in particular.
PPPS. Nick Cave's choice of playing the Carnival is Over has resonnance considering his Mum died only recently and him coming back to Melbourne without her being here must be difficult. Or I'm too sensitive and it's actually his cynical take on how Melbourne has morphed. Or it's nothing but an appease the audience exercise...which I very much doubt unless all of a sudden he had a personality bypass. You never know.

Nick Cave stage banter from last night.

(Audience members screaming out various song titles)
Nick Cave: “Nah I can’t play that. Nah I need Warren for that one. Nah that has a Latin thing going on and I’m a 4/4 kind of guy.”
(Audience members screaming out more song titles)
Nick Cave: “OK, OK, OK. This one’s called I’ll Play What I F**ken Like”

Thanks Kimba as per usually is the case, you have given me the perfect hook, to hang off and swing from:

The received thought currently is that it actually takes four generations to erase intergenerational trauma.
(There are always exceptions to the rules and exceptional people. Nothing is ever set in stone because we are not machines and are unique in ourselves).
Making a concerted effort to deal with intergenerational trauma, as in deciding; I'm not going to do it that way, react that way, feel that way, be that way, consciously speeds the process along.
It all takes effort as change never comes without effort.
I will not use sacrifice here, as by using that word (concept) means ultimately you are including losses.
There are no losses only gains to be had, by making an effort to change oneself because in the end my friend(s) you only have any power over yourself.

As a metaphorical example:

Your Father does the rinsing the scraps from the plates etc. and stacking them on the sink.
You do the main washing and depending on how well your father did his job, depends on how much you have to scrub.
Your son does the rinse and stacking. (there maybe plates that get rejected and have to be returned to get bits missed off).
Their son does the drying (air drying is a relevancy here) and puts them away.

Ah you say but I have a dishwasher, I don't need to do the dishes by hand any longer.
Machines have their own drawbacks they are never perfectly designed unless you designed them yourself for your exact requirements:
1/they require power. (Resourses & money for therapy over generations)
2/they still need to be stacked and emptied. (labour is still required)
3/they have to use caustic chemicals (particularly rinsing aids) that leave residues that you will then consume and have deleterious long term affects.(drugs and alchohol)
4/If you don't want to be treated like a machine, with built in obsolescence and the next model ready on the production line, mechanical moving parts that need to be serviced, filters-everybody forgets to clean the filters-because they don't see them getting clogged up and all the other attendant issues in dealing with a machine.

Why have I just used doing the dishes as a metaphor for men (and their fathers).
Because they always complain about doing the dishes.
Why.
Why do they think, that they shouldn't do them, be thankful to do them, take pride in doing them.

If you're not going to do the dishes are you expecting a woman to (reference men blaming women for their own issues or expecting them to always carry the emotional load of their disaffections)
If you want to be a smartarse and say well I'll just use disposable plates, sure kick the can down the road and live with and sink into the mountain of refuse that creates.
No one taught me how to do the dishes/ I grew up with a dishwasher, well learn or keep whinging about it:(Can you hear yourself / will anyone listen to that, forever.
Break all the dishes rather than clean them, that is the age old go to, violence, does it get you anywhere.

View attachment 1971155

P.S. MR Brian Oblivion is not totally off the scene. He has been blocked from only the SFA part of BF. He can see all the posts here but not like or comment and is elsewhere on the BF site (eg. St Kilda forum) and is on Direct Msg.
PPS. You all know that this is a general post and not aimed at anyone in particular.
PPPS. Nick Cave's choice of playing the Carnival is Over has resonnance considering his Mum died only recently and him coming back to Melbourne without her being here must be difficult. Or I'm too sensitive and it's actually his cynical take on how Melbourne has morphed. Or it's nothing but an appease the audience exercise...which I very much doubt unless all of a sudden he had a personality bypass. You never know.
You are most likely right about the four generation thing. I didn’t want to be too introspective but I do think my sons are COMPLETELY unscathed.

This is the most likely impact on me. Small beer, I know.

PS - Based on my experience, what’s not to like about doing dishes? Ironing and vacuuming are have their own appeal too.

PPS - I recall reading some research somewhere that suggested most men (cue massive generalisation) who complete unpaid domestic tasks that women we’re traditionally expected to do for free, still only do the easy jobs that they like. They don’t undertake tasks they don’t like, irrespective of whether they need doing.

I've about done my interenet allowance with 95% used and 8 days left.
I hot spot off my phone and being on Artist wages that's the lowest plan and I'm not changing it because then you have to go on direct debit which would never work for me for multiple reasons.
Having been distracted this month and dealing with a whole lot of other stuff, I've blown it on frivolous meanderings, musings and meaningful postings.
So I maybe shortly going on the loathsome slow speed and not be posting much...a ghostly existance in this age...unless I haul arse down to the library and take advantage of there unlimited and dirty(spam magnet) juice. If I have to resort to that it will be tedious.
Just when I've pretty much done the big post on the Hardware Club and discovered the below website to investigate, let alone my quooty commitments (smirk) in the race for 'Rookie of the year' phffft....sigh Kimba's right I do so get distracted!
On vera c'est ma vie.
(And a whole lot of other cliche's I could and would bandy around hither and thither for the fun of it... but wait...there ARE steak knifes in the showcase.....big hook comes out from stage right.)

I love this song for it's satire and smarts
and it starts with a man on a broom, which ties in nicely with the domestic science chat.....

And the rabbit hole I'm barred from exploring for the moment:

Vale Mike Pinder.
Last of the Moody Blues.

Ok Ok OK I'm going to post a considered uncool song don't care I loved this album as a kid.

Vale Mike Pinder.
Last of the Moody Blues.

Ok Ok OK I'm going to post a considered uncool song don't care I loved this album as a kid.

I didn’t mind this when I was a kid.

I seem to recall hearing it in the car on 3AK.

I didn’t mind this when I was a kid.

I seem to recall hearing it in the car on 3AK.

Same Album. 'Days of Futures Past'..........Proustian reference "Rememberence Of Things Past":
They didn't give me the willies like other prog rock. As a child I could mockingly recite the below...total ham act.

Late Lament

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy is spent
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one;
Lonely man cries for love and has none
New mother picks up and suckles her son
Senior citizens wish they were young
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is grey is yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion

They answered those big cerebral questions in life in the 70's sic.

Same Album. 'Days of Futures Past'..........Proustian reference "Rememberence Of Things Past":
They didn't give me the willies like other prog rock. As a child I could mockingly recite the below...total ham act.

Late Lament

And which is an illusion

I only know one Moody Blues song. I’ll listen to these and let you know what I think. We are on a UNITY TICKET as far as Prog Rock goes. ✊

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Late Lament

And which is an illusion

Yeah, not my cup of tea.

Yes, Mike Oldfield, Genesis, Emerson, Lake and Palmer etc etc etc can’t say I know much about them.

Yeah, not my cup of tea.

Yes, Mike Oldfield, Genesis, Emerson, Lake and Palmer etc etc etc can’t say I know much about them.
Well you'd know an Emerson Lake and Palmer because one of the sports / footy shows (Ch 9 ? ) used it.
'Fanfare for the Commmon Man"

My post on the MB's was of the lightly sarcastic ironic variety.
Poking fun on the peeps who did then have a uni cig, settle back in the beanbag and believed that they could chill with the Moody's knowing the answers to life.
I'm sure you met some in your life back then in the 1970's..you know the type...dressed in colonial flares, desert boots, handspun jumper and rather hirsuit with an wettish opinion...kind of like the public servant version of Neil...ok humour doesn't translate when explained. You had to be there.
It was different generation and we were saved by punk, you are right about that.

Well you'd know an Emerson Lake and Palmer because one of the sports / footy shows (Ch 9 ? ) used it.

Poking fun on the peeps who did then have a uni cig, settle back in the beanbag and believed that they could chill with the Moody's knowing the answers to life.
I'm sure you met some in your life back then in the 1970's..you know the type...dressed in colonial flares, desert boots, handspun jumper and rather hirsuit with an wettish opinion...kind of like the public servant version of Neil...ok humour doesn't translate when explained. You had to be there.
It was different generation and we were saved by punk, you are right about that.

Not a patch on the Aaron Copland original.

Yeah, not my cup of tea.

And in that type of record collection in the 70's there was always this one.
Which is tolerable funk...until you heard it one too many times...Santana was the better choice

In know that one☝️

In 1978 I thought Stevie Nicks was absolutely gorgeous.
She still is. And kudos to her for surviving the music industry, excesses and lousy boyfriends and still create. She was brave enough to say well **** you and go out and do her own albums, rather than be bullied into subsuming her talent and shine for anothers ego and not make waves in the band. Both she and Christine McVie were great role models and musicians who stood their ground and had each others backs despite the pressures of fame. Admirable.

1714162200061.jpeg

I remember my dad had this one. He tried to make us listen to it. Some year later I sat him down and played him ‘Hateful’ by The Clash, which he explained to me was about drugs. My response was an early 80’s version of “Der Fred”. (An expression I have not used for a long time, possibly since 1974 and never in print).

Shelley Duvall
Always thought she was a brilliant actress and a notable of the 70's, didn't know that this was now a 'thing' but on reading the below article it apparently is.

439587742_10161254571779487_3561077432014608313_n.jpg
Vogue Fashion shoot 1971

Remove this Banner Ad

Back