Lifestyle "1983 Redux Zeitgeist Surf School"

Remove this Banner Ad

moginie I hope you are not feeling left out with a huge wodge of Melbourne centric stuff. It's not intended to be only about Melbs. I'm familiar with Manly, Lindfield, Balmain, Petersham, Glebe, Paddington and Newtown. Having been always going to Sydney to visit relatives, boyfriends studying up there and exhibiting up there. Haven't been for a decade now. Shame. Location isn't the thing is what I'm saying, experiences are.
Here is something for moginie - Paris Green .......

Paris Green's theme song, featuring the original lineup at the Sandringham Hotel, Newtown, Vocal / Keys: Louis Tillet, Guitar: Charlie Owens, Bass: Raoul Hawkins & Drums: Louis Burdett - mid 80's I think.

Last edited:
moginie I hope you are not feeling left out with a huge wodge of Melbourne centric stuff. It's not intended to be only about Melbs. I'm familiar with Manly, Lindfield, Balmain, Petersham, Glebe, Paddington and Newtown. Having been always going to Sydney to visit relatives, boyfriends studying up there and exhibiting up there. Haven't been for a decade now. Shame. Location isn't the thing is what I'm saying, experiences are.
Not at all, mate. I'm just absorbing it. Funnily enough, with all the talk of Toorak Rd, it's the only place in Melbourne I know with any certainty. When I was performing in the comedy festival in 99 Mrs m & I stayed at St Kilda East, right near the Astor cinema & Windsor train station. It was an interesting month.

I did 21 of the list above not all of them.
I forgot these ones;
baby sitting, house sitting, dog sitting. granny sitting.
modelling (life drawing clothed)
Painting (walls & rooms)

We always called the dole the 'Basic Arts Grant' BAG.*
Before Austudy it was TEES : Tertiary Education Economic Support (Scheme).

*I took the 2nd semester of my Post Grad off because I was not well and had to go on the BAG (for the 2nd and very last time)
I was living at my upstair flat at 9 Robe St at the time and had a ring on the door bell, went down and answered the door and it was a man and woman from the SS doing an on the spot inspection. Knowing my rights I told them nicely to bugger off for an hour. The law being they had to give you an hours notice at minimum.
Raced back up stairs and hid boyfriends clothes that he had left there in Will's flat next door and sat down, composed myself and waited the next 50mins. Sure enough they were back on the dot, having sat out the front in the car on watch.
They come in I offer them a cup of tea, which they assent to.
While I make tea they go off and inspect my home, opening draws etc and poking through all my things.
Then they sit down for a cuppa and it's the third degree with a clip board.
Why do I live here? My brother inlaw who lives next door owns the place.
Why do I have a nice dinner set? Isn't it lovely, it's the only thing I inherited it from my grandmother. etc etc.
Everything true, except my religious beliefs but with a smidge of twee blah blah.
They were looking to ping me for being on the game because of the metrics.
I very sweetly answered all their questions in a way that they were never going to ask that particular question.
In the end they left wondering why they were having to pick on someone so nice, so innocent, so concerned about them and the awful job they had to do.

1989 Fringe Festival I think - one of my feeble attempts at a flyer / poster .......... ended up in the Magistrates Court with a friend and legal aid for putting these up in Brunswick St after the police took our posters, names and addresses and said we wouldn't be charged with "Bill Postering". Liars. The third among us gave a false name and addy so had no probs. My friend luckily knew the duty legal aid and she helped us. 12 month good behaviour bond and $200 fine.

IMG_1187.JPG

Love the collage.

My motto at work has always been, “They give you a space…you make a collage.”
You certainly have taken advantage of the space. Love it. Does it get more layers as you go?

Mine, I always call it the wonder wall in the studio. And now I'm going to get super specific about it because it's not just decoration.
The picture was a then opperative visual reference file, with some small works thrown in, not for public consumption only for me but a record of the time. Ephemera with a purpose and there are continual additions, subtractions, juxtapositions happening. Somethings stayed for a long time and some didn't once they had served their purpose of me looking to the right as I sat at my desk. The little file cabinet on the desk had 2 of the drawers with bits and pieces that would have been taken down. (All in boxes now in storage).
It would have been nice to let it run like the jungle all over the place but apart from above the window to the right, all was bare white working walls. You can see the edge of a large canvas on the left, that I would have been working on. I would staple the canvases to the walls paint them and then they would be put on stretchers afterwards (if they deserved it and if I could afford it). I am not a messy artist and was trained not to be. That may be out of the cliche but 'waste not want not' and take care, otherwise you are forever wasting time cleaning up, fixing stuff up and wearing it. This studio was also small probably a bit bigger than the average loungeroom, with my printing press, plan drawers and about half of the archive there it had to be organised, no space to waste and a working space. I did have a sink which had cold water which was an absolute bonus.
My work then was split between painting and assemblages around this time depending.
And there is always drawing, that's doing scales, thats thinking time, thats experiments, that's talking.
It's actually amazing how much work came out of that small space and where it then travelled to.
I would love to be able one day to set up actual rooms/spaces as art works in themselves.
Ooo the things I would love to do given the opportunity.
Having the shop windows in Rathdowne street to play with gave me a taste for it, now I can feel that hunger.
To be specific on terminology, most Art terms come from French, so collage comes from colle, which is to stick using glue otherwise it's assemblage.
I spy a couple of pieces of 'airline' ephemera on your boards.
Will not digress now into why that is often a common asthetic in our generation but it is.
Realise I can be a 'big sistery' and come across as a know it all at times...pfht I have failings in the scheme of things, today is one of those days.
And now for the pretty picture (i am rather partial to pictures) of the pear cake I made on Friday..most proud, all gone and I think I have now got it absolutely right. Thinking about moneterising it if it adds up to being worth it.
Something I used to do at the age of 13 was make cakes and sell them at the Wesley Hill Market (Castlemaine). Side hustles: le plus ca change!

IMG_9027.jpeg

1989 Fringe Festival I think - one of my feeble attempts at a flyer / poster .......... ended up in the Magistrates Court with a friend and legal aid for putting these up in Brunswick St after the police took our posters, names and addresses and said we wouldn't be charged with "Bill Postering". Liars. The third among us gave a false name and addy so had no probs. My friend luckily knew the duty legal aid and she helped us. 12 month good behaviour bond and $200 fine.

View attachment 1967321
Art they WILL make you suffer for it.

I've also got to say you aged very quickly reading the back pages.
Also impressive stats in 24 hours...did you enter a time warp of some kind?
FYI I know Charlie Owen vaguely as he is married to Kylie Greer who runs the Bright Space gallery in St Kilda. He is so very very young in that clip.

and the full destruction or deconstruction of "I'm Not In Love" .........

I remember Tex used to "work" in the arcade at Luna Park in the early 80's - usually in a very altered state. o_O

Last edited:
Interesting covers of Talk Talk songs Part #1

so ...... you.slow.it.down. Some lovely reverbish guitar sounds here ...... very U2's Edge circa "One" from Acting Baby, ripping off guitar sounds from Abbey Road in my humble opinion.All artists are thieves ? Discuss ......

solo from Sophie .......

the inspiration for it all ..... possibly the first ever "disco" song ?

No - I'm kidding - it was actually this book ........

1713772644176.png

Luke's real name was George Cockcroft.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did 21 of the list above not all of them.
I forgot these ones;
baby sitting, house sitting, dog sitting. granny sitting.
modelling (life drawing clothed)
Painting (walls & rooms)
Did this once but unclothed @ $50 for one hour - early 80's - as usual I was broke.

One guy was keen on showing me his sketches and they were very good but it was all a bit weird.

Black Cat Cafe building strikes again. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
God I miss decent newspapers. I woke up this morning, far too early as usual (the weeks after the beginning and end of daylight saving play havoc with me and have got worse as I’ve got older) and strolled in the crisp morning down to my local coffee shop. Newsagents are almost a thing of the past now, like dry cleaners, public telephone boxes and owner operated hardware stores. Now the local supermarket sells papers, and Adelaide basically only has one and it’s garbage. There is a copy of the Saturday Paper, a rarity in these parts, so I eagerly fork out the cash to buy the slim 32 page (and four of those are full page ads) tabloid so I can prove to myself that I can engage my brain without looking at my phone for that devious little dopamine hit.

One of my earliest chores as a child was, every Monday, to walk the 1km distance to the local newsagent by the railway station, buy the Sydney Morning Herald in all it’s broadsheet glory, and walk home. My father would duly be presented the front section, I’d take the back section containing the Sport portion, pour through it and then get off to school.

But on Saturdays, when my father went to golf, I’d have the paper all to myself. The Good Weekend had interviews with people who were interesting, and as I got older I read more and more and then started looking at other bits, like the Share Accommodation pages, in preparation to getting out.

I love finding out stuff. My brain can remember the most obscure rubbish, yet forget the obvious at times. I’m also a great believer in the quote attributed to Socrates “All that I know is that I know nothing”. Do I put this knowledge to any great use? Of course not, if you discount pub trivia nights, annoying my kids or entertaining the masses at my local city pub.

My local city pub became my local for several reasons, but one is that they bought a daily copy of the Age. Something that wasn’t about the mundanity of crows footballers or the petty politics of the Business Council of SA. Editorials that challenged me to think. To form opinions, like I did in those teenage years when the SMH was a gateway to a life far away from where I was. But the Age now reflects who owns it and has become smaller too, mirroring the disinterest our population shows in journalism, being informed, being curious. It’s just another cog in the entertainment industry. The pub stopped providing it when it got too expensive - $5 a day for an interstate copy and the supply was becoming poorer and poorer. It was my loss. I found other entertainments too.

So I’m sitting with my coffee, reading about all the players who have been affected by the Lehrmann scandal, and then an excellent article by Louise Milligan about male violence and the Bondi Junction stabbing, reminiscing about the times when I’d have a cigarette or two, a copy of whatever paper was engaging enough to buy, a coffee or a pint, and how I could just let my brain wander, and think, and question and I’d be satisfied and happy to have learnt something that day.

Maybe today I will too.
I was a complete newspaper addict - probs comes from being a paper boy. I started buying and reading The Age when I was 10 or so.
My parents were Herald Sun fans - or sorry, in those days The Sun. The Herald was the arvo paper. Maybe around 1976 there was a Mac Rob girl who took my Number 64 tram to school in the morning that I had a crush on. She was slim and had straight black shoulder bob cut hair with a straight cut fringe and she wore peace badges on her jacket which I liked a lot.

So my folks used to get The Sun delivered and over breakfast I used to do the crossword. After a while I bought The Sun at the tram stop on Orrong Rd / Dandenong Rd and would sit down next to this girl of my dreams, go straight to the crossword and do it before Chapel St where I had to get off to catch the tram from the Astor to Melb High.

It didn't work - we never spoke. I think she hated that I read The Sun - which I actually didn't. Lol.

Last edited:
I was a complete newspaper addict - probs comes from being a paper boy. I started buying and reading The Age when I was 10 or so.
My parents were Herald Sun fans - or sorry, in those days The Sun. The Herald was the arvo paper. Maybe around 1976 there was a Mac Rob girl who took my Number 64 tram to school in the morning that I had a crush on. She was slim and had straight black shoulder hair with a straight cut fringe and she wore peace badges on her jacket which I liked a lot.

So my folks used to get The Sun delivered and over breakfast I used to do the crossword. After a while I bought The Sun at the tram stop on Orrong Rd / Dandenong Rd and would sit down next to this girl of my dreams, go straight to the crossword and do it before Chapel St where I had to get off to catch the tram from the Astor to Melb High.

It didn't work - we never spoke. I think she hated that I read The Sun - which I actually didn't. Lol.
It starts with the crossword and Jeff Hook, but before you know it you are reading 50/50 and agreeing with the Editorials. It is a slippery slope.

Weird relationships with newspapers - used to go to The Age building in Spencer St / Bourke St in the 80's at 2am to get the copy to read and see ads we put into the Good Weekend for gigs and also reviews of our gigs we suspected might be published.

One time I wrote to the Arts Editor to question the guy writing jazz music reviews who seemed to favour coverage of his brother who ran the Melbourne Jazz Co-op which was competing with the MIA (Melb Improvisers Association) for funding and exposure - which I was kinda ;) involved with.

It didn't end well. But I won - in that he no longer did reviews. :)

Last edited:
It starts with the crossword and Jeff Hook, but before you know it you are reading 50/50 and agreeing with the Editorials. It is a slippery slope.
To be fair, hand on heart - it was only ever the crossword - which was easy and also the sports pages, which I would devour down Chapel St to Sth Yarra - sorry but I forget the tram number for that one. This only went on for a few months - then I was buying The Age and trying somehow, given it's size to try and read it on the tram without annoying or encroaching on the personal space of who had the misfortune to be seated next to me. Once had a smoker sitting next to me accidentally set fire to The Age I was reading at the time. Threw it out the door with the assistance of the conductor.

Last edited:
While we're on the subject of newspapers, during the 1982 football season I would get the Monday edition of the Age for the football roundup. It was always a day late, so on Tuesday afternoon I'd get off the bus, go to the newsagent & pay about double the normal costs for the paper. Probably read a bit more, headlines etc, but it was really only the VFL that I devoured.

It all came back to my very cool cousin (VCC) whose husband (the Doctor) came from Warrnambool and would get the Age every day (a day late too) in Newcastle. Clearly influenced, I did the same thing for a while.

View attachment 1965694
The Cover photo shoot for 'We're Only In It For The Money' by Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention, 1967
Jimi Hendrix on the right
View attachment 1965695
“There will come a time when everybody who is lonely
Will be free to sing and dance and love
There will come a time when every evil that we know
Will be an evil that we can rise above”

Too right!
The most lovely version of this one before I go nigh nighs fellow students ........

Also ...... for some context if that is still a thing in this world ....... ???

I went to a party once in the mid 80's St Kilda in honour of the American composer Kenneth Gaburo who was a John Cage disciple and collaborator.

Not sure why or how I was actually invited but managed to disgrace myself and nearly give old Kenny boy a heart attack.

He'd been entertaining everyone with his tales about his brilliant career and his theories while I was busy in the corner rolling joints.

At one point I laughed at something he said at an inappropriate time and he asked me what was so funny.

I was young and replied honestly ....... I said something along the lines of "it's pretty funny watching and listening to a charlatan
hold court with so many sycophants believing every word they are saying" ...... or some such thing.

After the hosts pulled old Ken off me, I was asked to leave.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back