1976 National Carnival

Remove this Banner Ad

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Hawks won, playing North on 17th August 1976.

I'm trying to establish the final 20 that played for the Hawks.

A squad of 23 was named before the match.

Using the article below, 12 can be confirmed: G.Ablett, Bremner, Goad, Hendrie, Jones, L.Matthews, Moncrieff, Moore, O'Halloran, Rice, Rowlings and Scott.

The other 8 come from the remainder of the named squad: P.Bennett, De Wolde, Douge, Eade, K.Matthews, Paton, Polkinghorne, Tuck and Welsh. So of those 9, one didn't play. (The article mentions that Knights and Martello, also in the named squad, were rested for the match).

Can anyone name some of the players shown in the photo accompanying the article to help narrow it down further?

Looking at Lord Mud, or Thaihawk? :thumbsu:

Or does anyone have the game on tape? It was televised on Ch9.

Or just have a reminisce, if you can remember the series win!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=x_NUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RpIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5347,4141943

I found the article, I'll show the picture around and see what we cAn find out. Have you asked Pete Haby if he has the info?

Sorry mate, at this stage, I can't help. I was in Townsville that year and did not see any game live including the grand final. 1976 remains the blank of my Hawthorn Happiness.

When one of the kids visit I will send him, it won't be her too many snakes up there, into the ceiling and bring down my cuttings. I do not hold out much hope 'cause the only papers were the Townsville Bulletin and the Courier Mail. Still. you never know.

I found the article, I'll show the picture around and see what we cAn find out. Have you asked Pete Haby if he has the info?
I have asked Peter, he hasn't been able to help in this case. Cheers, and sorry for stuffing up the link, it truncated for some reason.

Basically I have narrowed it down to the following...

One of Peter Bennett, Rodney Eade, Brian Douge or Peter Welsh did NOT play.

The 1976 Team v North Melbourne:

B: Brian Douge, Kelvin Moore, Ian Paton
HB: David Polkinghorne, David O'Halloran, Ian Bremner
C: Geoff Ablett, Barry Rowlings, Rodney Eade
HF: Alle de Wolde, John Hendrie, Kelvin Matthews
F: Alan Goad, Michael Moncrieff, Don Scott (c)
Ruck: Bernie Jones, Michael Tuck, Leigh Matthews
Res: Leon Rice, Peter Welsh.

I was there that night and enjoyed it immensely. The game played on my local ground, Norwood Oval, I loved it when they presented the trophy. They had Hawks ribbons on one handle, North ribbons on the other. When they presented the cup to Scotty, he ripped off the North ribbons and stomped them into the ground :)

The other thing I loved about that competition was my SANFL team Norwood thrashing Carlton, 22-14 to 5-10. One of those great nights :)

I was there that night and enjoyed it immensely. The game played on my local ground, Norwood Oval, I loved it when they presented the trophy. They had Hawks ribbons on one handle, North ribbons on the other. When they presented the cup to Scotty, he ripped off the North ribbons and stomped them into the ground :)

The other thing I loved about that competition was my SANFL team Norwood thrashing Carlton, 22-14 to 5-10. One of those great nights :)

Have you still got the program/record AdH ? Nice collectors item if you do !

You bloody ripper!

Thanks heaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you still got the program/record AdH ? Nice collectors item if you do !

Yes, I do have the 16 page program, they tipped North to win haha!!! BTW, do people realise that David Parkin coached the Hawks in all of the Wills Cup matches in 1976?

In pre-season 1979, the Hawks returned to Norwood Oval to play Norwood. Both were Premiers the previous season and it was an unofficial Champions of Australia match. Norwood won 17-10 to the Hawks 16-15, Moncrieff booted 7 goals. It was without doubt the highest quality pre-season match I ever saw. I donated a copy of the program for that match to the Hawks Forever.

Yes, I do have the 16 page program, they tipped North to win haha!!! BTW, do people realise that David Parkin coached the Hawks in all of the Wills Cup matches in 1976?

In pre-season 1979, the Hawks returned to Norwood Oval to play Norwood. Both were Premiers the previous season and it was an unofficial Champions of Australia match. Norwood won 17-10 to the Hawks 16-15, Moncrieff booted 7 goals. It was without doubt the highest quality pre-season match I ever saw. I donated a copy of the program for that match to the Hawks Forever.

Awesome AH absolutely awesome. IMO the best historian on our board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back