Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch

Remove this Banner Ad

on 3aw they said that he said today he wont have a full pre season but thinks he'll be right for round 1

doesnt sound too promising
Richmond star Tom Lynch won’t start pre-season at full tilt as he continues his recovery from a foot injury that derailed his 2023 campaign.

Lynch, 30, underwent surgery in April and despite hopes he would play again this year, didn’t feature again as he managed the delicate injury.

He faces another scan and a meeting with his surgeon before he can return to running in coming weeks, but he is adamant it won’t curtail his plans to play in Round 1 next year.

“I won’t be with the main group for pre-season day one, but I’ll build throughout pre-Christmas.
Then post-Christmas I’d imagine I’ll be in the main group,” Lynch said at TAB’s Spring Fling event on Tuesday.
“It’s a very long way off, but all things going well I’ll be no worries for Round 1.”

The dual premiership Tiger said that once the decision that he wouldn’t play again this season, he had further surgery to remove the plate that had been inserted and was on Tuesday finally out of his long-worn moon boot.

“With feet, they can just take a long time to heal. It just didn’t recover, and then we decided when I was going to get back this year, we decided to take the plate out,” he said.

“So that’s why I’ve been in the moon boot since. “The plate’s come out and we had to look after it, so it has taken a lot longer than we thought but it’s all on track now.”

Lynch said a previous knee injury had sidelined him for a similar time frame, but “this one was more challenging” to deal with given the incremental gains.

“Because I was still in the boot and I was improving but I wasn’t ticking off many goals,” he said.
“It’s one of those things - you’ve got to be grateful that you’re going to work every day and getting better.
“But we want to play and we want to help the team and it’s frustrating not being able to do that.”

Lynch met with new coach Adem Yze for the first time just days ago after confirmation he would take the reins last month.
“He seems like a great person and a really great coach, so I’m looking forward to him being our mentor,” he said.

Lynch backed the Tigers’ current forward stocks in the likes of Samson Ryan and Ivan Soldo to provide scoreboard support in the absence of retired goalkicker Jack Riewoldt as the trade period looms large.

“If potentially we can bring someone in, that’d be great but I think there’s plenty there,” he said.
Lynch along with five fellow Tigers are part-owners in Soulcombe, a Chris Waller-trained stayer that is currently second-favourite for the Melbourne Cup.

With his wedding also scheduled within weeks, Lynch could well give Collingwood coach Craig McRae a run for his money for the biggest few weeks of his life.

“Hopefully it has a nice couple of runs coming up - the Turnbull (Stakes) on the weekend, and then I think we’ll go to the Caulfield Cup and then the Melbourne Cup,” the premiership Tiger said.

“Hopefully the horse gets through well and it’s in good form.
“We’re very lucky to be involved in a horse like Soulcombe and we can’t wait.”

As for who needs a close watch should Soulcombe salute in Australia’s greatest horse race, Lynch didn’t hesitate.
“Liam Baker. Absolutely,” he laughed.

“He’s very excitable, Liam, but he’ll be good. Jack (Riewoldt) I’m sure will carry on like he owns the whole thing, but we’re really looking forward to it.”
https://archive.is/o/3WS3k/https://...y/news-story/d1c45d932ea716d05c3830b43792c0d1

on 3aw they said that he said today he wont have a full pre season but thinks he'll be right for round 1

doesnt sound too promising

hes done

if you need a moon boot as "precaution" after this long you ain't playing professional sport again

hope micro71 has some good news about a tall forward trade next week...

A poster on another forum has said that he is wearing the moon boot when at events purely as a precaution.

Not sure how true or not it is.
Didn’t wear it to flemington today ,interesting , looks like extra cautious. Feet do take a long time to heal this only 6mths . My mate broke his foot a few years ago jumping into a spa when he was pissed , it’s still ****ed , can’t play 18 holes of golf without a limp starting half way ,,,note that he didnt have surgery and favours bulk billing medical practices

Didn’t wear it to flemington today ,interesting , looks like extra cautious. Feet do take a long time to heal this only 6mths . My mate broke his foot a few years ago jumping into a spa when he was pissed , it’s still ****ed , can’t play 18 holes of golf without a limp starting half way ,,,note that he didnt have surgery and favours bulk billing medical practices
Hes wearing it tonight.

9000c08cefd3b055adb0fc94b18c1b18

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i doubt he will play again at this point
Seeing as most leg injuries take 12m why would a broken foot that’s known to be the slowest be alarming that it hasn’t healed in 6m. healing a bone fracture in a weight bearing area will be a delicate process , me thinks the advice would be keep as much weight of it for as long as possible for best result

I still can’t get over the fact that they put him back on the ground with that foot injury against the Bulldogs. He is the most important player on our list and he was put back out there without proper diagnosis. Stuffed our season right then and there. Hopefully it hasn’t stuffed the rest of his career also
Club dr do some weird stuff , cripps played with a broken back , jack Steele with a snapped collar bone ,,,,never ends

Same here...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back