AFL Player #18: Lewis Hayes

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be happy enough to see him lining up next to McKay. Obviously he is still got some developing to do but he is playing well. He defends pretty well and has a bit of an intercept game and is decent with the ball in hand.

I would be happy enough to see him lining up next to McKay. Obviously he is still got some developing to do but he is playing well. He defends pretty well and has a bit of an intercept game and is decent with the ball in hand.
I haven't seen any VFL this year. Would you swap him for Laverde next week?

I haven't seen any VFL this year. Would you swap him for Laverde next week?
I would give him a go. Not that I expect them to change a winning side.

Not one to bang on about rushing the kids in but how good would it have been in an alternate reality that he played last Friday in a win like that.

Should be a strong chance to get some games before ridley and Reid back.

Laverde likely need a freshen up soon. I'd prefer Hayes given a shot before we use cox as a key back again.

I would be shocked if Scott drops Laverde based on his history with us

You might be right, but Laverde feels like he's lacking something this year, he seems off. Scott has shown he's willing to give younger players a go, and if Hayes is playing really well in the 2's and a taller defender was required I could see him being brought in.

Wasn’t Laverde out for round 1? Only came in after Reid got injured if memory serves.

Correct, with both Reid and Ridley injured Laverde came in.

Hayes has looked pretty solid in the VFL from the games I’ve watched, seems composed as well.

Would be a good chance to debut soon, though Adelaide aren’t a particularly tall forwardline (a quick check says without Thilthorpe they’re all 192cm or less).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct, with both Reid and Ridley injured Laverde came in.

Hayes has looked pretty solid in the VFL from the games I’ve watched, seems composed as well.

Would be a good chance to debut soon, though Adelaide aren’t a particularly tall forwardline (a quick check says without Thilthorpe they’re all 192cm or less).
OBrien hits 202cm and kicked 5 or 6 goals in a preseason game, so he must have some craft. He'll be tracked back there obviously, but he's a unit.

OBrien hits 202cm and kicked 5 or 6 goals in a preseason game, so he must have some craft. He'll be tracked back there obviously, but he's a unit.
Reilly O'Brien? In 105 games he's kicked a goal in just 12 of them. Only once has he scored two in the same game.

If he kicks a bag on us (as he inevitably now will) it would just be down to us being awful rather than missing a trick.

First of all, I think he’s ready, second of all, our clear preference is for a genuine key defender to partner with McKay because we picked Reid when available.

As much as I love Laverde, just because he’s played key before, doesn’t mean he should continue to. I reckon it’s go time. Good match up with Gollant as well.

First of all, I think he’s ready, second of all, our clear preference is for a genuine key defender to partner with McKay because we picked Reid when available.

As much as I love Laverde, just because he’s played key before, doesn’t mean he should continue to. I reckon it’s go time. Good match up with Gollant as well.

My thoughts too. Impossible not to like Laverde, gives it everything he's got. I think it's pretty clear that Hayes has now caught him though.

Like a different player to last year (for my memory). I'm working on a theory at the moment - my hypothesis is that taller players yake a longer time to develop than those of a shorter stature. Hopefully be able to develop a cm/patience required formula for future reference...

Just based on potential match ups this week i dont see him coming in. Maybe an ANZAC day debut is on the cards

One thing I have noticed is they do give him different match ups at times. It is not just play on the bigger blokes. He has had times where he has done okay on the smaller opponents as well so there is a bit of versatility there.

One thing I have noticed is they do give him different match ups at times. It is not just play on the bigger blokes. He has had times where he has done okay on the smaller opponents as well so there is a bit of versatility there.
Have harped on about this since the u18 carnival in his draft year - in the game v Vic Country he moved on to a red hot Bailey Humphrey and closed him down. Has very good closing speed to go with his height and reach.

He then went to full back on Harley Reid in the same game……and got absolutely rag dolled but I choose to believe that’s just how good Reid is :)

I’m there - play him this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back