Past #18: Josh Smith - drafted with #60 in '07 ND - delisted at end of '10 season - turning circle of QE2

Remove this Banner Ad

Be nice to see him given at least a month of footy to see what he has got.

It's ridiculous he hasn't made his debut by now. Exactly what we are crying out for.

Has he really???? So who was the bloke I saw running around Etihad Stadium in the no. 18 over the last few weeks?

Josh Smiths.

RB's talking about Josh Smith, the 0 game messiah.

well am not sure Josh ' The answer' Smith could go any worse the hamish 'I'm getting angry' Mcintosh's.

LOL. Yes indeed, you don't want to make H angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Hamulk.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you happen to catch the Bulldogs game? He is miles off it, absolutely miles off it.

You left before the final siren?

I value your opinion - has he got what it takes or is he a pretender?

Josh has played just 9 games at AFL level and never more than 2 consecutively. The big thing would be for HIM to believe he belongs.
He is an excellent kick and can kick a long way. He reads the ball and the play well. I like how quick his brain works, and he can move the ball very quickly by hand and foot, especially for a bloke his size.
I would like to see the coaches tell him he has 5 or 6 games, and that he'll be judged at the end of that. I get the feeling he puts too much pressure on himself and actually does himself a disservice.
How many 9 game forwards get Brian Lake as their direct opponent? He wasn't the first and won't be the last to get beaten by Lake.
Having said that, he does need to take advantage of opportunities. He looked good in round 22 last year, but once again missed a chunk of pre-season due to injury. He appears to be fully recovered from the groin injury and played an excellent game on the weekend.
If any other North listed forward had played half a game in defense and half forward and had his stats, everyone would be going nuts to get them back into the AFL side.
11 spoils, 15 marks - 5 contested, 25 possessions and 2 goals from 2 shots. One from about 50 from near the boundary.

Josh has played just 9 games at AFL level and never more than 2 consecutively. The big thing would be for HIM to believe he belongs.
He is an excellent kick and can kick a long way. He reads the ball and the play well. I like how quick his brain works, and he can move the ball very quickly by hand and foot, especially for a bloke his size.
I would like to see the coaches tell him he has 5 or 6 games, and that he'll be judged at the end of that. I get the feeling he puts too much pressure on himself and actually does himself a disservice.
How many 9 game forwards get Brian Lake as their direct opponent? He wasn't the first and won't be the last to get beaten by Lake.
Having said that, he does need to take advantage of opportunities. He looked good in round 22 last year, but once again missed a chunk of pre-season due to injury. He appears to be fully recovered from the groin injury and played an excellent game on the weekend.
If any other North listed forward had played half a game in defense and half forward and had his stats, everyone would be going nuts to get them back into the AFL side.
11 spoils, 15 marks - 5 contested, 25 possessions and 2 goals from 2 shots. One from about 50 from near the boundary.

I agree. The fact he can swing forward or back makes it well worth giving him a month of footy in the seniors. I'd also like to see Lachy swung forward occassionaly like against Freo - looked dangerous and by that stage had worked himself into the game.

I agree that we should give him a few games in succession (and if he doesn't produce then delist him at the end of the year). There was an amazing contrast between his tentative kicking at goal in the game against the Bulldogs and the two confident shots when North Ballarat were under the pump on Saturday. It's amazing the difference a bit of confidence can make

In all seriousness, that more highlights just how big the gap is between VFL footy and AFL footy than it does underline Smith's credentials.

I'd rather give Black a run.

Has he really???? So who was the bloke I saw running around Etihad Stadium in the no. 18 over the last few weeks?

It could've been Hendo.

Re. the OP, I'm with jschwag on this one. He's a VFL standout. Give him time in the AFL and let's see how he develops. He's a babe in the woods as far as AFL experience goes.

as a carlton supporter i dont mind the kangas at all, but something needs to be done bout your forward line for sure

smith is still young player who looks to have a lot of potential from vfl games i've seen, you guys have got to stop playin blokes like edwards, jones, hale who are not the answer to your forward line dilemma, might as well give a bloke a crack who could turn into a good 10+ years player rather than blokes who u know wat you're gonna get out of em week in week out, which isnt much right now

In all seriousness, that more highlights just how big the gap is between VFL footy and AFL footy than it does underline Smith's credentials.

I'd rather give Black a run.

Certainly there is a chasm between VFL and AFL and especially in relation to quality tall, strong defenders which means that even a young stick insect should be able to kick bags of goals if he truly has talent. The fact that some of our young key forwards are not kicking goals at VFL level when they are playing on short people does not bode well for them when they suddenly have to oppose the likes of Scarlett and Lake and Presti.

Certainly there is a chasm between VFL and AFL and especially in relation to quality tall, strong defenders which means that even a young stick insect should be able to kick bags of goals if he truly has talent. The fact that some of our young key forwards are not kicking goals at VFL level when they are playing on short people does not bode well for them when they suddenly have to oppose the likes of Scarlett and Lake and Presti.
Gap is wide, but important to note that his performances at VFL level will set him up well to dominate a Country League like an Carey-Brown-Archer hybrid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back