#17 Adam Cooney *Former Player*

Remove this Banner Ad

We would get a high draft pick for him, but would prefer to keep him if he continues to play like this. Hopefully with the signs the team is showing he can see what a bright future we have not that far away, that he will still be young enough to be part of.

I dont think Cooney would go. He's got more integrity than Lake and money hasnt been a driver with Cooney. After the support the club has given him, it would be a slap in the face for him to go elsewhere

I dont think Cooney would go. He's got more integrity than Lake and money hasnt been a driver with Cooney. After the support the club has given him, it would be a slap in the face for him to go elsewhere
Remember that he basically found his own treatment for the knee though.

Yes thats true. Often more than not you need to take extra measures and investigate for yourself with any long term or serious injuries. I dont doubt that the club tried within their means, but balancing effort across an entire playing list would be more important than one player.

I still dont think Cooney would go.

Cooney won't leave. And bloody hell is he back in a big way. When griff returns, we need to make sure that he and coons stay on the outside as much as possible. Let Libba, wallis, Boyd, cross, smith wrestle for the footy. Griff and coons are almost wasted in there.
We need them receiving handballs and getting out on the spread.

Cooney won't leave. And bloody hell is he back in a big way. When griff returns, we need to make sure that he and coons stay on the outside as much as possible. Let Libba, wallis, Boyd, cross, smith wrestle for the footy. Griff and coons are almost wasted in there.
We need them receiving handballs and getting out on the spread.

Yep. We still have too many players getting sucked too close to each contest.

Whilst Griffen and Cooney can certainly win their own ball, I'd like to see them position themselves outside of the immediate contest more often. I suspect this was one of the things our coach may have been alluding to when he recently said that our more experienced players also have a bit to learn about what to do around contests.

Griffen and Cooney also have to put more trust in our kids to win the contests. Games like the Geelong effort will help in this regard.

Disagree that Libba should be getting the hard ball every time.

When he does, he gets sucked into quick handballs out of pressure - this is a silly use of a player with some of the best vision in the AFL. He may not be a linebreaker but he should be receiving out of those hard ball gets and distributing the ball forwards.

True, but we've still given him a massive amount of support. In the last few weeks, i've thoroughly researched the treatment Cooney got, and it's not something any AFL club would have thought to do. Look up Dr Peter Wehling, it's quite interesting stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but we've still given him a massive amount of support. In the last few weeks, i've thoroughly researched the treatment Cooney got, and it's not something any AFL club would have thought to do. Look up Dr Peter Wehling, it's quite interesting stuff.
I'm pretty sure that I heard the other day that it's the same thing they did on Nick Riewoldt, though?

I'm pretty sure that I heard the other day that it's the same thing they did on Nick Riewoldt, though?
No idea if it was exactly the same, but it's very... "un-linear?" (complete mental blank thinking of the right word :p).
Not the first port of call. I'd applaud the Saints if they went and found it by themselves.

No idea if it was exactly the same, but it's very... "un-linear?" (complete mental blank thinking of the right word :p).
Not the first port of call. I'd applaud the Saints if they went and found it by themselves.
It is exactly the same, just checked. That's damn good researching by the Saints :p

Fair enough. Hope he does decide to stay, as if he does go we'll get completely shafted in the FA compensation process.

Afl give us a compensation pick. St kilda got a first rounder last year for Goddard.
Yes on that basis we'd be a Monty for a first rounder if Cooney went, but ...
Fair enough. Hope he does decide to stay, as if he does go we'll get completely shafted in the FA compensation process.
There is some chance of that. The last I heard the AFL was still deliberating on whether they would allocate any compensation for FA transfers this year. Certainly not guaranteed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back