Player Watch #16 - Bailey Laurie - Pick 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm - not sure the trade was quite that simple?

30. Brisbane acquires Pick 25, Pick 68, Pick 69 and Melbourne’s 2021 first-round pick. Melbourne receives Pick 18, Pick 19 and Brisbane’s 2021 second-round pick

Close enough…we probably could’ve just kept pick 25 for Bowey. He was considered a reach at the time.

Instead we gave up the currency of a future first to share Laurie as well. Who has done nothing since joining.

Mitchito Owens went at pick 33 of 2021 draft. Would love him rolling around our f50.

Just delist him already. If he can’t force his way in the team over DJ Shitboy then he is never going to make it.

3rd year player that hasn’t been hit with injuries or debuted.

He is a bum

Just delist him already. If he can’t force his way in the team over DJ Shitboy then he is never going to make it.

3rd year player that hasn’t been hit with injuries or debuted.

He is a bum

He debuted. Got about 2 touches and dropped the next week.

After 3 years clearly was not ready.

He has definitely improved at VFL level. Gone from a contributor to a very good player at the level that can now rack up touches up forward, in the guts and kick goals. Unfortunately I'm not sure how his strengths can replicate at AFL level as he's not particularly quick or deadly around goals.

Probably needs a block of games to adjust to the tempo of AFL level but not sure he will get that here given Goody's preference for other half forwards. He's spargo-lite and to be honest we have too many half forwards like him when we probably need a quicker crumber with some goal sense with Kozz out of form. I'm not against giving him a block of 3 games with Spargo/Chandler out of form. But you know Goody will pick Melksham.

Give Laurie a block of games and see how he goes, if he fails then time to move him on.
Laurie is signed on for next year, but i agree with the sentiment and he should be given a run of games. that goes for Woewodin too. it probably should have happened already to be honest, instead of going back and forth all year between Harmes and Jordon who are both struggling to find a role in the team that they are good at anyway.

Laurie is signed on for next year, but i agree with the sentiment and he should be given a run of games. that goes for Woewodin too. it probably should have happened already to be honest, instead of going back and forth all year between Harmes and Jordon who are both struggling to find a role in the team that they are good at anyway.
I think the reality we may need to confront is that the guys playing at Casey who can't get in over Harmes and Jordon are probably not be good enough anyway.

I get that people are frustrated by our boring selection but the kids who have actually held a spot in the side this year have shown a bit and that talent would have shone through in the off-season and at training where these other guys have not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I've advocated for his retention but hard to maintain that argument. Happy to see Laurie given a go.
Played well first month of the season but has stunk it up since. Looking like a solid VFL player but struggling at the top level. Laurie could be the same, but it's time to swap them over and find out.

What’s the go with Laurie and why did we trade a future first rounder for this kid?

3 years on our list and nothing but a list clogger and can’t even get a run in the firsts behind the likes of Spargo, Chandler, ANB and Melksham.

Is this kid gonna be another 2nd round pick like Sparrow, Jordan and Spargo who Goodwin never gives up on and tries to shoehorn into the team despite next to no improvement and next to no AFL traits?
ANB and Sparrow are good players especially ANB. So not sure what you mean. But draft picks are speculative. You could say why did we draft Watts, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, Morton, Toumpas, Bate, etc. So the fact that Laurie didn't make it doesn't mean much. It's very common.

Looks like he has also fallen behind Woey now. Not looking good for the kid.
Maybe.

I would've described Laurie as a mid who plays a bit of time forward earlier this year in the VFL, and that's now flipped to be a forward who plays a bit of time mid.

It's definitely a role change and that won't have happened by accident.

Woewodin has been playing quite a bit of mid, more than Laurie of late.

I don't think Laurie and Woewodin are competing for the same role anymore with Laurie first and foremost a high half forward, and Woey a mid, whereas they might have been at the start of the year when they both seemed to be primarily mids.

Woewodin has more pace (not hard as Laurie isn't quick) and is a more classic run and carry type with a longer kick and that might be what they want at AFL level for this week.

I'm a Laurie fan and still quite surprised he didn't get a run when Spargo was out as that's the player he's most similar to, so maybe it isn't looking good for him.

It's kind of easy to write off a player like Laurie, but you also need to replace him with someone who is likely to be better.

Melk will go, probably Hibberd, likely Deakyn Smith, Jordon and/or Harmes may also go along with Tomlinson, maybe a retirement of one of Brown or McDonald too. Not all of those will go, but several will and if Laurie also goes, you're looking at going very deep into the draft at pick 70 or whatever to replace him - is that player likely to be better ever, let alone in the short term, than Laurie after three years of AFL level development? Not very likely.

Laurie got a contract 12 months ago to the end of 2024. I just hope we have a plan for him. He's clearly playing well at VFL level.

I'm in no way calling for ANB to be dropped cause I really like him as a player but it's insane to me we havent given him a couple weeks off as well as Spargo and a couple others to have a look at some kids in the season. Some guys can just adapt to the step up and you deepen your squad

Last edited:
The time to throw some kids in was before the bye IMO , we should have a fair idea of what we look like by now . We don't , still have no idea what our best forward line looks like , especial now with Fritsch gone for 2 months . Laurie should get a chance to show if he has the makings of an AFL player , but then i would give Langdon a week off and run Howes on a wing , which is what i think he is , a winger .
The team is as stale as our coaches pressers , FFs he has turned May into a pussey !.
Oh well , lose to the Saints and i reckon we will struggle to make finals , the only reason Goodwin has avoided intense scrutiny i think is because we won the flag in 2021. He appears to be unable to evolve with the times .

I'm in no way calling for ANB to be dropped cause I really like him as a player but it's insane to me we havent given him a couple weeks off as well as Spargo and a couple others to have a look at some kids in the season. Some guys can just adapt to the step up and you deepen your squad
I wasn't super impressed by McVee at VFL level last year but he's looked comfortable at the top level and seems a long term player, it just clicks for some. Got to admit Laurie has looked out of his depth in his limited AFL exposure so far, but it's got to be worth giving him a 3-4 game block to show something.

Spargo and ANB are known quantities imo; role players who generally play their roles to a decent level, but limited ceilings.

He definitely deserves a few games with out half-forwards so out of form.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If he was son of a former gun I suspect he’d be a constant. Laurie Is a good user of the ball, and has form. How he doesn’t get a game is beyond me. He is a serious footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back