Past #15: Luke Delaney - selected with #25 in '08 RD - traded to St Kilda for #77 in 2013 TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Arden Street

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
lukedelaney-1.jpg

Name: Luke Delaney
Height: 194cm
Weight: 94kg
Recruited From: Geelong Falcons
Draft History: Pick 25 in the 2008 Rookie Draft

Luke Delaney is a strongly built key defender. The former Geelong Falcon has great kicking skills and is very good in a contested marking situation.

The 19 year-old performed well playing on both Watts and Vickery against Sandringham this season.

Size matters for Delaney

By Steve Lavell

28 January, 2009

NORTH Melbourne had an early request for Luke Delaney soon after securing him in December's NAB AFL Rookie Draft: please put on more weight.

It's a challenge thrown to many recruits in their transition from under-18 football to the elite level, however, Delaney was already a strapping 194cm and 96kg.

Spectators at Arden Street in recent weeks would have noticed the powerful defender doing skill work with his fellow draftees. He stands out, just as he did in his final year with Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup.

Increasing his size is nothing new to Delaney. He recalls he was tall "but a little bit on the podgy side and a bit slow" in 2006, his first year with the Falcons.

The following pre-season he worked hard in the gym and has maintained that commitment since.

"Outside of what we usually do [at North], I probably try to get to the gym a couple of times a week," he said.

Delaney has added a kilo-and-half since his arrival and plans to reach 100kg with a key position in mind.

Michael Firrito (190cm, 96kg) and Josh Gibson (189cm, 92kg) have held down full-back and centre half-back for much of the last two seasons, and Delaney is aware of the support he can provide them.

"I've definitely got a good opportunity because of the size of the boys down back," he said. "My size and height definitely helps me out a lot, so I've just got to push for selection.

"After round 11 you can play a rookie either way, even if you don't have a long-term injury. If one of the boys does go down and I've got good form then hopefully I can get an opportunity."

After his 2007 season was ruined by injury, Delaney remained on Geelong's list as a 19-year-old with the blessing of coach Garry Hocking and regional manager Mick Turner.

It was his third season with the club after missing out on selection in its under-15 squad.

"[Garry and Mick] had a lot of faith in me," he said. "They thought that if I worked hard enough I'd definitely get the opportunity [at an AFL club]. Without them I wouldn't be here today.

"Last season I knew what Garry wanted from me and it was more about going out and performing at my best.

"I thought that if something happened [in the drafts] it was definitely going to be a bonus, but I wasn't holding out for the opportunity."

Delaney had been training with Geelong's VFL squad for a month when North's talent ID manager Bryce Lewis contacted him.

Used in a number of roles with the Falcons, including the ruck, Delaney caught the eye of a few clubs. Solid performances on Melbourne's No. 1 draft pick Jack Watts and key Richmond signing Tyrone Vickery (No. 8) encouraging the interest.

He's only had a handful of sessions with the main group, but Delaney has savoured his experiences with big men Drew Petrie and David Hale.

"I want to understand how they play the game, because they've been there and done it," Delaney said. "If I can fast-track my learning with those boys it'll definitely enhance my chances.

"It's definitely a step up from anything else I've ever done. With high expectations of the level of fitness you have to [reach] physically and mentally, it's been a good challenge but I'm enjoying it."

Delaney has relocated from Geelong and is currently sharing a club house with teammates Matt Campbell and Cruize Garlett.

kangaroos.com.au

Is this the Full Back we have been craving for? With Turner and Hocking believing in him makes me hope/pray that we will unearth a player this year.feck im excited...

Delaney has relocated from Geelong and is currently sharing a club house with teammates Matt Campbell and Cruize Garlett.

Thats a funny thought!!:D

No need for a ladder when Dels around.....

There must be a reason why he slipped to the rookie draft and for other teams to pass on him. What's his limitations?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There must be a reason why he slipped to the rookie draft and for other teams to pass on him. What's his limitations?

He's not eye catching at all. He's the sort of player who just consistently beats his man with no fuss, whilst offering very little offensively. Nothing wrong with that at all, but that just makes it harder for him to stand out.

Even though he looks like he moves quite well for his size, he doesn't test well for pace/mobility.

Because he was injured last year and a 19 year old this year he didn't represent Vic Country at the national carnival, meaning less exposure.

Those areas don't bother me much at all, but I thought I'd mention them regardless. My main worry with him is his footy smarts, is sometimes slow to react, his starting positions aren't great and his decision-making can let him down.

That said, I think there's plenty to work with with Luke he's competitive, strong, quick and uses the ball very well). I think he's a good chance to make it as a FB at AFL level.

Thanks for the info macca - Boomer seems to rate him as well. Was quick to bring up his name as a FB candidate in a radio interview a couple of weeks ago.

He's not eye catching at all. He's the sort of player who just consistently beats his man with no fuss, whilst offering very little offensively. Nothing wrong with that at all, but that just makes it harder for him to stand out.

Even though he looks like he moves quite well for his size, he doesn't test well for pace/mobility.

Because he was injured last year and a 19 year old this year he didn't represent Vic Country at the national carnival, meaning less exposure.

Those areas don't bother me much at all, but I thought I'd mention them regardless. My main worry with him is his footy smarts, is sometimes slow to react, his starting positions aren't great and his decision-making can let him down.

That said, I think there's plenty to work with with Luke he's competitive, strong, quick and uses the ball very well). I think he's a good chance to make it as a FB at AFL level.

Do you know him?

Nah, I've just seen Geelong play a few TAC Cup games over the last couple of years, and I happened to like the look of him.

Thanks macca:thumbsu: I hope to one day read a story headlined by "Geelong Discards Lead North's Charge", with Scotty Thompson, Nathan Grima and Luke Delaney reshaping and bolstering our backline going forward.

T'toes

Re: 45. Luke Delaney

Has played down back in our senior side at Werribee and has shown plenty of potential, aside from some undisciplined acts against Williamstown last weekend.

Re: 45. Luke Delaney

Very mobile for such a big boy. I like the look of him.

Grima, Hansen and Delaney to form the best defence in the AFL in 5-6 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back