Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not swap the Hbs and wings?
Scott/fisher for stevens/tucker. The latter two have the physical tools to be small defenders - would be a good challenge for stevens - ball use is ok. And fisher is a liability in defence and is being exploited. We risk damaging scott by playing him out if position for too long.

He hasn’t been great, but writing off Stephens because he didn’t contribute enough in two games played on ovals with widths of 110m and 115m is a bit like writing off a key forward because he didn’t score enough in two games played in the Darwin wet season.

For all his defensive limitations and for all our gameday problems, this season we’ve become far better at running out games for four quarters as a team. That indicates repeatability, which is a position we can build from.

Well it wasn't me that said but I agree with it. Beatson said they were disappointed with the whole trade but had to eventually cut and run.

They didn't want to lose him and offered him a contract there's nothing else they could do.
So they do lose players they want to retain?

He hasn’t been great, but writing off Stephens because he didn’t contribute enough in two games played on ovals with widths of 110m and 115m is a bit like writing off a key forward because he didn’t score enough in two games played in the Darwin wet season.

For all his defensive limitations and for all our gameday problems, this season we’ve become far better at running out games for four quarters as a team. That indicates repeatability, which is a position we can build from.
I haven't written him off either, nor do I criticise the trade, but there was a contest on the weekend where the ball bounced high between him and (I think) Matt Henry. Stephens slapped at the ball and/or Henry, who unhindered took possession and drove the ball forward.

It was just unacceptable, and if it were me, he'll be in the 2s this week until he provides a better contest.

Why not swap the Hbs and wings?
Scott/fisher for stevens/tucker. The latter two have the physical tools to be small defenders - would be a good challenge for stevens - ball use is ok. And fisher is a liability in defence and is being exploited. We risk damaging scott by playing him out if position for too long.

Stephens to defense? Yuk! Can you honestly see him standing in a hole in front of anyone? I doubt he would have a single defensive orientated cell in his body!

I haven't written him off either, nor do I criticise the trade, but there was a contest on the weekend where the ball bounced high between him and (I think) Matt Henry. Stephens slapped at the ball and/or Henry, who unhindered took possession and drove the ball forward.

It was just unacceptable, and if it were me, he'll be in the 2s this week until he provides a better contest.

He has done that in nearly every match including the one intra club I saw. Billy Hartung, Aaron Black and Aaron Mullet’s tickets were stamped by Brad Scott for respective single moments of softness. This bloke is a repeat offender protected by his 4 year contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has done that in nearly every match including the one intra club I saw. Billy Hartung, Aaron Black and Aaron Mullet’s tickets were stamped by Brad Scott for respective single moments of softness. This bloke is a repeat offender protected by his 4 year contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pay the contract out, heck him off and sack Rawlings for letting this happen.

Knock on him as a junior - soft.

Can’t get midfield time at Sydney. Why? Soft.

Why would he be any different here?
When do we change players fortunes for the better? When do we make them want to be better? Never.

Soft and I think there should be a Bigfooty tag to show you who has NFI based on wanting Stephens to be a defender. lol.

He went when it was his turn. Had an impact on a contest. Then pissed all over that goodwill by kicking somehow in between three North players from his defensive goal square. I don't get or understand him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He went when it was his turn. Had an impact on a contest. Then pissed all over that goodwill by kicking somehow in between three North players from his defensive goal square. I don't get or understand him
I was at the game and what you don’t see is him constantly trailing Morrison by 50-100 metres.

Not only do we have one of the softest players to pull on our jumper, but we also have a lazy campaigner that won’t run.

I was at the game and what you don’t see is him constantly trailing Morrison by 50-100 metres.

Not only do we have one of the softest players to pull on our jumper, but we also have a lazy campaigner that won’t run.
Nah I was there too. Morrison wanted it more. All afternoon. Stephens was buns.

4 years. Staggering.

Pay him out now

I just about rather the AFL pay out all of our stupid contracts than get anymore draft concessions. We'd just burn them on more dumb trades or bring them into a culture of mediocrity. Digging the cancers out might work better than bringing in treatments that won't work.

Nah I was there too. Morrison wanted it more. All afternoon. Stephens was buns.
One was playing his role and the other was a lazy campaigner that was looking for the cheap easy possession all day.

Some of those Hawthorn overlap goals were a direct result of having a winger that was too lazy to bust arse and run.

This call alone should stamp Rawlings papers.

It’s hardly assistance if you actually waste it. We would have been better the AFL giving us nothing and not having Stephens and Fisher on the list. Absolute criminal how we wasted those picks on players that struggled at other teams.

Last edited:
This.

That play where he ran it over the line on the wing was as gutless as it gets. Yes we didn’t have much forward, but instead of trying to create or taking the tackle over the line, he exited stage left to avoid any contact or responsibility. It was downright pathetic and rightly so he was penalised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back