#12: Toby Bedford- With great number comes great responsibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

For mine kossie hasn’t shown enough consistency throughout the pre season to play round 1. Admittedly Kossie will be the type that can have more impact with 10-12 touches than spargo, Bedford, ANB, Hannan.

I just hope we're patient with Bedford and allow him to continue to progress. Always thought he was very small when he first arrived. Also looks like he has the skillset to potentially be an option down back as well.

I always thought we discarded Dion Johnstone a year too early

For mine kossie hasn’t shown enough consistency throughout the pre season to play round 1. Admittedly Kossie will be the type that can have more impact with 10-12 touches than spargo, Bedford, ANB, Hannan.

Agree, Id hope we are above handing out games to justify draft pick selections. Especially against a side like WCE first up. I like to make guys earn it a bit more. Pickett and Jacko ( who has been pretty decent tbf) can have the first week off.

I’m trying to work out if Bedford is challenging Pickett? Or with his aerobic capacity, whether he is more challenging ANB? Or Spargo?

Either way, I have him fourth in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about the roving skills but he looks a decent finisher, far better than ANB and Spago any way. Not that that is saying much. I just can't have Spargo anywhere near round 1 selection on what I've seen, his disposal this preseason has been absolutely atrocious.

Not sure about the roving skills but he looks a decent finisher, far better than ANB and Spago any way. Not that that is saying much. I just can't have Spargo anywhere near round 1 selection on what I've seen, his disposal this preseason has been absolutely atrocious.

if we don’t have him in the side we will have to come to peace with the fact we won’t hear from dr truth - as a forum are we willing to live with that?

Did Spargo miss a target on friday night? I’m not his biggest fan by any means, but I actually think of the small forwards he has been the most impressive in the pre-season. Had a hand directly in at least a couple of goals on Friday.

Did Spargo miss a target on friday night? I’m not his biggest fan by any means, but I actually think of the small forwards he has been the most impressive in the pre-season. Had a hand directly in at least a couple of goals on Friday.

Sprayed two kicks horribly. Can't remember if it was the first or third quarter but there was one kick in the forward pocket where I think (? Not sure) he had a shot at goal and it ended up directly in the opposite pocket. I only say not sure becoz it missed by that much, and we didn't have a player anywhere near if he was centring it.

if we don’t have him in the side we will have to come to peace with the fact we won’t hear from dr truth - as a forum are we willing to live with that?

I'm not sure about round 1, but if he does have the running capacity that he apparently does, over in Perth in fairly warm conditions probably isnt the worst call.

Sprayed two kicks horribly. Can't remember if it was the first or third quarter but there was one kick in the forward pocket where I think (? Not sure) he had a shot at goal and it ended up directly in the opposite pocket. I only say not sure becoz it missed by that much, and we didn't have a player anywhere near if he was centring it.

He wasn’t the only one on both sides to have bad kicks. Spargo was good against north, on form he deserves a spot round 1. Bedford not far behind but needs more work, kossie has shown glimpses. ANB is in, Hannan is injured.

He wasn’t the only one on both sides to have bad kicks. Spargo was good against north, on form he deserves a spot round 1. Bedford not far behind but needs more work, kossie has shown glimpses. ANB is in, Hannan is injured.

He must have played great in that North game that I didn't see coz he was shithouse vs Adelaide.

He must have played great in that North game that I didn't see coz he was shithouse vs Adelaide.

It’s not about playing great but he was good, and played his role. Based on his form and what we need in the forward line he plays round 1, whether kossie or Bedford leapfrog him by round 3 we will wait and see.

It’s not about playing great but he was good, and played his role. Based on his form and what we need in the forward line he plays round 1, whether kossie or Bedford leapfrog him by round 3 we will wait and see.

We will have to agree to disagree. I think there is only room in the side for one of ANB or Spargo and I'll take ANB over him. I'm all for rewarding form but not when it comes at the expense of someone who could potentially be a difference maker, and who's form you could argue is actually better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will have to agree to disagree. I think there is only room in the side for one of ANB or Spargo and I'll take ANB over him. I'm all for rewarding form but not when it comes at the expense of someone who could potentially be a difference maker, and who's form you could argue is actually better.

Happy to agree to disagree, just giving my two cents 👍

Personally on form Spargo is first picked as the small forward. ANB looks not better or worse than we’ve seen previously. Bedford has shown improvement but coming on in the second half shows were in the pecking order he sits. Kossie has shown glimpses of what he can do but also goes long periods without impacting the game. I don’t think he should be selected based on the hype/potential what he could do. Nothing wrong making him earn his spot.

I’d prefer neither tbh

I just hope we're patient with Bedford and allow him to continue to progress. Always thought he was very small when he first arrived. Also looks like he has the skillset to potentially be an option down back as well.

I always thought we discarded Dion Johnstone a year too early

I though Dion Johnstone was starting to show a bit as a small defender too, but I think he marked his own papers by getting suspended for the VFL GF after stupidly whacking a guy late over the boundary line.

I watched a really small snippet of the replay yesterday on Foxtel IQ. Started a minute before 3 quarter time then stopped watching about 5 minutes into the last quarter.

In that time we kicked 3 goals. Bedford had two goal assists and one goal for himself.
I coincidentally probably selected the best possible patch of the game to judge him on but still, he seemed to be making a big impact! I remember him doing some good things against North too. A run down tackle on Majak and goal, and another beautiful overlap goal later on.

Happy for him to play Round 1 if there's a spot. He couldn't be any worse than Corey Wagner in that role.

i'd have one of ANB or Spargo, as the higher link up small forward, and one of Pickett or Bedford, as the small around the goals, in the team. I'd personally go for Spargo and Pickett as I think they have the better skills and are the more natural footy players. ideally you'd have Pickett and Bedford alternately switching in and out of the side as they need a break throughout the year. then its just down to form between Spargo and ANB.

I though Dion Johnstone was starting to show a bit as a small defender too, but I think he marked his own papers by getting suspended for the VFL GF after stupidly whacking a guy late over the boundary line.

Where did he play in 2019?

Bedford will play Round 1 over Spargo and Pickett

Just looked smart and lively, which is what we need

Round 1:
B- Jetta, May, Hibberd
HB - Lever, O McDonald, Salem
C - Langdon, Viney, Tomlinson
HF - Petracca, T McDonald, Harmes
F - Fritsch, Brown, Melksham
Rucks - Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw
Int - Jones, Bedford, Hore, ANB

Just as important as F50 pressure is the ability to get it at ground level.

For me, Kozzy is first picked in the forward pocket. He will get gassed and need rests every few rounds, but for me he's the most natural at ground level out of Spargo/Bedford/Nibbler. Like vs Adelaide we ran plays to get him running onto the footy in space off a F50 stoppage.

Imagine if that's Gawny inside 50 with his amazing tapwork, and you've got Trac Gus Pickett Milkshakes as threats to score directly off a clearance.

And also, Kozzy brings pressure. He's going to be out of position occasionally with the forward press, but he's quick and can stick a tackle. Chaz can legit not stick a tackle, neither could Hunt last year. Kozzy is a strong kid.

Bedford's kicking and finishing looked good; as someone else said, I'd love to see if he could replace/push Nibbler. Ultimately the Nibbler we saw late 2017 was a legitimate walk up start at half forward, but his goal sense/finishing isn't there like it was that year, and his actual kicking inside 50 is very much like that of an inside midfielder.

Just as important as F50 pressure is the ability to get it at ground level.

For me, Kozzy is first picked in the forward pocket. He will get gassed and need rests every few rounds, but for me he's the most natural at ground level out of Spargo/Bedford/Nibbler. Like vs Adelaide we ran plays to get him running onto the footy in space off a F50 stoppage.

Imagine if that's Gawny inside 50 with his amazing tapwork, and you've got Trac Gus Pickett Milkshakes as threats to score directly off a clearance.

And also, Kozzy brings pressure. He's going to be out of position occasionally with the forward press, but he's quick and can stick a tackle. Chaz can legit not stick a tackle, neither could Hunt last year. Kozzy is a strong kid.

Bedford's kicking and finishing looked good; as someone else said, I'd love to see if he could replace/push Nibbler. Ultimately the Nibbler we saw late 2017 was a legitimate walk up start at half forward, but his goal sense/finishing isn't there like it was that year, and his actual kicking inside 50 is very much like that of an inside midfielder.

Really good points, our forward ground ball gets were horrendous last year and it allowed the opposition to waltz out of our 50 and into theirs with no pressure.

ANB's running ability is what gets him picked (rightly or wrongly) similar to how we will use Tomlinson, becuase there tanks are so big they can get up and down the ground/repeat efforts to defend. BUT with kossie, spargo, and more so Bedford (also has great running capacity) ANB needs to add more to his game.

Such a good play. Fritsch lifting his knee and killing that Lions player in the marking contest is such a delicious little entrée to Bedford's Banana. I love this video I'm going to watch it heaps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back