Player Watch #11: Max Gawn (C) – 6 x All-Australian, 2 x Best & Fairest, AFLCA Champion Player and Premiership Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously rate this man as a forward also. If dawes or fitz can step up as the second ruck/forward, or we chase a charlie dixson. Would love to see him play a bit more out of the square.

Really looking forward to two of the most inform ruckmen of the last two weeks. I'm really happy for Gawn that he is going to make it as a good afl player.
Should be a good duel, see if Goldstein can use his experience or if Gawn's size will win out. They both seem to be the prototype new breed of ruck who get plenty of it around the ground on top of hit-outs.

Should be a good duel, see if Goldstein can use his experience or if Gawn's size will win out. They both seem to be the prototype new breed of ruck who get plenty of it around the ground on top of hit-outs.
I'm pretty sure Goldstein will work Gawn over, but it's a great opportunity for Gawn to step up. Goldie is several years of experience and development ahead and should be too strong and fit. We will all be watching this dual closely.

Their work around the ground with marking is also based on the same thing, confidence with taking an early contested nark and then it flows from there.

Was just checking out some stats (drooling over jesse hogans season stats) and i saw that gawny has gone into second, in front of hogan, for contested marks per game! He is also fourth in the league for hitouts per game.
I posted in the Tom boyd thread earlier in the year, when max wasnt even getting a game, that i would take max over boyd, and was met with a fair deal of ridicule. I wonder who the dogs would like to have now, with a finals series coming up?
Always had faith in big Maxy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just checking out some stats (drooling over jesse hogans season stats) and i saw that gawny has gone into second, in front of hogan, for contested marks per game! He is also fourth in the league for hitouts per game.
I posted in the Tom boyd thread earlier in the year, when max wasnt even getting a game, that i would take max over boyd, and was met with a fair deal of ridicule. I wonder who the dogs would like to have now, with a finals series coming up?
Always had faith in big Maxy

MFCforever

Is he even still alive? Or has he just blocked everyone on this forum?
Barely alive but the big fella is having a good month. Happy to be wrong but let's keep our powder dry ladies very early in his career. I hope he keeps improving and becomes the monster so many on here said he will become. Good luck Gawny!

Gawn's biggest problem in advancing his career was his versatility. Whenever he played in a side with either Jamar or Spencer he would play the majority of the match up forward because he's a better forward than the other two. The sub rule has also halted his (& other ruckman's) develpoment as well. Out of all the positions on the ground I think Ruckmen have been hurt the most by the sub rule so instead of playing two ruckman you get one plus either a bits & pieces fill in or a ruck who can fill in on the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back