AFL Player #10: Sam Weideman

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he was a shithouse footballer who had double the goalless games than he did multiple goals, and averaged under a goal a game over his 80-odd game career?

How could anybody love him is the actual question.
Coz he had a weird neck length to body length ratio and kicked crazy goals at crazy times. He was fun to watch in a battling team.

If Smack is born 20 years earlier he tears the arse out of the league for a decade and ends up comfortably better than Corey. If Corey is born 20 years later he ends up a shorter Shaun and probably less successful than Shaun.

Swings and roundabouts

Ethan doesn't rate Corey either

You let Shaun stick his arm in someone’s chest in the ruck or push someone out in a marking contest and it’s game over. And he could jump pretty well and kick straight enough.

Unfortunately for Shaun for his entire career it was literally game over because it was automatic free kick against him and it ruined his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a moment today that pretty much sums him up.

Nice lead. Kick goes a bit behind him and gets spoiled and rather than a second effort his head went down and he followed on with the lead and the ball ended up being cleared. He just doesn't contest for long enough as a forward. Unlike Caddy who attacks it at 100 miles an hour and then looks to make a tackle or win the footy in the next contest if he does not mark it.

Had some okay form in the VFL in defense but his form forward is gone.

Another comparison. He had a chance to shoot at goal from around 35 out on the boundary and took a risky pass attempt instead which did not come off. Up the other end Langford simply too the shot. Missed the goal but did not think twice about it.

He just looks devoid of any confidence.

Doesn't bode well if he's void of confidence even in pre-season where nothing is on the line.
Without having an inside read the body language sometimes looks like a player that knows his fate is sealed. He has only been in full training the last two weeks. Hopefully he can find some mojo .

Trust us to trade Francis for probably the only other player in the AFL with bigger confidence issues in Weideman

There was a moment today that pretty much sums him up.

Nice lead. Kick goes a bit behind him and gets spoiled and rather than a second effort his head went down and he followed on with the lead and the ball ended up being cleared. He just doesn't contest for long enough as a forward. Unlike Caddy who attacks it at 100 miles an hour and then looks to make a tackle or win the footy in the next contest if he does not mark it.

Had some okay form in the VFL in defense but his form forward is gone.

Another comparison. He had a chance to shoot at goal from around 35 out on the boundary and took a risky pass attempt instead which did not come off. Up the other end Langford simply too the shot. Missed the goal but did not think twice about it.

He just looks devoid of any confidence.

It's a shame - he looked okay at times, at least I thought, early on last year.

He kicked 11.9 in a 5-game stretch. That equates to just about a 50-goal season - I know it's easy to pick a small sample size to make any player look good or bad, but stats are stats.

On the other hand, how many chances can you give someone? He'll turn 27 before the season is out.

I think he still has a huge chance to play some games, especially early on.

It's a shame - he looked okay at times, at least I thought, early on last year.

He kicked 11.9 in a 5-game stretch. That equates to just about a 50-goal season - I know it's easy to pick a small sample size to make any player look good or bad, but stats are stats.

On the other hand, how many chances can you give someone? He'll turn 27 before the season is out.

I think he still has a huge chance to play some games, especially early on.
Agreed. He didn't look too bad a choice at all for a short while, to a point where I thought the change of scenery must have been working for him.

Depth only now, sadly.

Agreed. He didn't look too bad a choice at all for a short while, to a point where I thought the change of scenery must have been working for him.

Depth only now, sadly.

You would think so (being depth only), but I still think there’s a chance he plays 10-odd games - which I guess is exactly what depth is. I think he and Jones would be fighting for that last forward spot, unless they go small. And Jones has only averaged 10 games a year since his debut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back