06/07 Top 10 'Kids' Thread: Revisited

Remove this Banner Ad

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
I happened to stumble across a thread from late 2006 - early 2007 which asked posters who they thought were the best 10 players on their list that were 21 and under in terms of potential.

After reading many threads in my time on BF, I have noticed whenever threads concerning young players and the word potential are debated, there are often calls to come back in 2-3 years and then make judgments.

What I want to do is revisit said thread and re-assess players now based on their actual output and how far they have come, some 3 and a bit seasons later.

I don't mean to steal Don77's thunder; yet I didn't want to bump his thread and change the parameters of the OP, which is why I have started this one.

Here is that thread.

What I am suggesting is that people critique their own posts or those of others in our 'mother' thread if you like :)rolleyes:) and perhaps confirm or re-jig a new top 10 based on their current worth and output.

There are players who have come and gone at clubs since the original thread, so for the purpose of this thread we shall only deal with players who were on the list and remain so who were 21 and under at the time of Don77's OP.

This website may be of some assistance in working out what players are eligible.

It's obvious that some players will still have scope for improvement but for this thread we are dealing with current day - actuals and are interested in what eligible players have had their Potential Realised!

Should be interesting...

I'll kick things off...

1. Marc Murphy
2. Bryce Gibbs
3. Andrew Walker
4. Adam Bentick
5. Josh Kennedy
6. Jordan Russell
7. Eddie Betts
8. Luke Blackwell
9. Shaun Grigg
10. Shaun Hampson

For Carlton:

1-Marc Murphy/Bryce Gibbs
3-Andrew Walker
4-Josh Kennedy
5-Jordan Russell
6-Adam Bentick
7-Sean Hampson
8-Shaun Grigg
9-Eddie Betts
10-Paul Bower

1. Gibbs
  2. Murphy
  3. Walker
  4. Kennedy
  5. Hampson
  6. Russell
  7. Bower
  8. Blackwell
  9. Hartlett
  10. Betts
  1. Andrew Walker
  2. Marc Murphy
  3. Bryce Gibbs
  4. Josh Kennedy
  5. Jordan Russel
  6. Shaun Hampson
  7. Luke Blackwell
  8. Paul Bower
  9. Adam Bentick
  10. Eddie Betts
These are the first 4 posts from the original thread regarding Carlton (I removed explanations for brevity, luckily for some.... looking at you TG re. Blackwell :p)

Here is my version of today's top 10 based on our criteria.

1. Marc Murphy
2. Bryce Gibbs
3. Michael Jamison (huge bolter)
4. Eddie Betts
5. Paul Bower
6. Jordan Russell (has claims to most improved player in the league ATM)
7. Andrew Walker
8. Shaun Hampson
9. Sam Jacobs
10. Shaun Grigg

In all honesty 8, 9 and 10 could probably go in any order.

Robbie Warnock was at Fremantle
Brock McLean was at Melbourne

With the exception of Judd, that top 6 are currently our best players IMO. Amazing really.

I'll kick things off...

[/LIST]

Here is my version of today's top 10 based on our criteria.

1. Marc Murphy
2. Bryce Gibbs
3. Michael Jamison (huge bolter)
4. Eddie Betts
5. Paul Bower
6. Jordan Russell (has claims to most improved player in the league ATM)
7. Andrew Walker
8. Shaun Hampson
9. Sam Jacobs
10. Shaun Grigg

In all honesty 8, 9 and 10 could probably go in any order.

Robbie Warnock was at Fremantle
Brock McLean was at Melbourne

With the exception of Judd, that top 6 are currently our best players IMO. Amazing really.

No love for Matty Kruezer??

Don 77 had Kepler, Hislop, Jay Nash and Andrew Lee.

So very, very disappointing the way they turned out for us....:eek:

To other Tiger fans... we have only had 3 top 10 draft picks in the past so many years (Deledio, Tambling and Oakley-Nicholls) so them 3 based on potential should be placed higher than someone like Foley who no doubt will be a superstar but was just off the rookie list and therefore people didn't see as much potential in him as they do in JON or Bling.

JON should be in everyone's top 5 if you base the list on potential!

Also Riewoldt would have been a top 10 pick in the super draft had we not traded for Polak, so Riewoldt definately should be in the top 5 for potential at our club.

He's a top 10 super draft pick for crying out loud!

Hehe but with guys like Raines (pick 76 ?) dominating then it doesn't matter where we draft our players in the draft, with GM pulling the strings our young list is filled with quality.

Haha I love foresight. (accidentally posted that in the other thread :S)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this was someone's, i've bolded the players who've been moved on via delisting or trade. ouch

1. Brett Deledio
2. Richard Tambling
3. Jarrad Oakley Nicholls
4. Jack Riewoldt
5. Jay Schulz
6. Danny Meyer
7. Dean Polo
8. Andrew Raines
9. Cleve Hughes
10. Nathan Foley/Shane Edwards/Cam Howat/Matthew White/Adam Pattison/Travis Casserly/Carl Peterson/Andrew Collins/Brent Hartigan/Daniel Jackson/Luke McGuane/Will Thursfield/Daniel Connors

1. Daniel Wells
2. Lachlan Hansen
3. Jesse Smith
4. Brad Moran
5. Daniel McConnell
6. Andrew Swallow
7. David Trotter
8. Matt Riggio
9. Ed Lower
10. Lindsay Thomas

The first North post in that thread....3,4,5,7,8 no longer at the club, 2 of them on other clubs lists. Wells, Swallow, Hansen would probably make up the top 3. Adams, Campbell, Goldstein, McMahon, Urqhart & Warren would probably be in the mix with Lower & Thomas

top 10 'kids' as of <21 that guys post (end of 06)

1. Pearce
2. Chaplin
3. Carlile
4. Gray
5. Boak
6. Hartlett
7. Salter
8. Krakouer
9. Stewart P
10. Trengove

top 10 'kids' as of <21 that guys post (end of 06)

1. Pearce
2. Chaplin
3. Carlile
4. Gray
5. Boak
6. Hartlett - drafted in 2008
7. Salter - drafted in 2008
8. Krakouer
9. Stewart P
10. Trengove - drafted in 2008

john_stewart_facepalm.jpg

READ THE OP!

1. Beau Waters
2. Sam Butler
3. Shannon Hurn
4. Matt Rosa
5. Mark LeCras
6. Matt Priddis
7. Mitch Morton
8. Eric McKenzie
9. Mitch Brown
10. Ben McKinley

Interesting to note that in the first response from an Eagles fan, all are still playing, and with the exception of Mitch Morton, all at the Eagles.

Does that mean we're either...
- Excellent at player development, or
- The legacy of our three midfield guns all either leaving or becoming a walking sick note?

To other Tiger fans... we have only had 3 top 10 draft picks in the past so many years (Deledio, Tambling and Oakley-Nicholls) so them 3 based on potential should be placed higher than someone like Foley who no doubt will be a superstar but was just off the rookie list and therefore people didn't see as much potential in him as they do in JON or Bling.

JON should be in everyone's top 5 if you base the list on potential!

Also Riewoldt would have been a top 10 pick in the super draft had we not traded for Polak, so Riewoldt definately should be in the top 5 for potential at our club.

He's a top 10 super draft pick for crying out loud!

Hehe but with guys like Raines (pick 76 ?) dominating then it doesn't matter where we draft our players in the draft, with GM pulling the strings our young list is filled with quality.

Gotta feel for the poor bastards :eek:

Melbourne's top 5 is pretty impressive

1. Brock McLean
2. Clint Bartram
3. Matthew Bate
4. Nathan Jones
5. Colin Sylvia
6. Lynden Dunn
7. Michael Newton
8. James Frawley
9. Petterd
10. Isaac Weetra

8 still on our list, 1 traded(brock), 1 delisted(weetra), 8 have played in the last 4 or so weeks. 5-6 look to be long term players, dunno if dunn has it in him, newton will probably be delisted at the end of the year.

new list imo (brock would be higher if he was at club obv), top4 could all be jigged around depending on if were talking about potential, what they've achieved so far or how important they are to the team etc.

1. Colin Sylvia
2. James Frawley
3. Matthew Bate
4. Petterd
5. Nathan Jones
6. Clint Bartram
7. Lynden Dunn
8. Michael Newton
9. Brock McLean
10. Isaac Weetra

Only player that would be added is Garland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back