Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/judds-secret-pokies-stake-20120502-1xzi6.html

CARLTON AFL star Chris Judd attempted to conceal a $500,000 investment in a business that operates poker machines because he did not want to be publicly associated with the gaming industry, a court has heard.

However, Judd's attempt to keep his investment confidential ran foul of Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation rules, which require people connected to gaming venues to be disclosed on a public register.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/judds-secret-pokies-stake-20120502-1xzi6.html

Look after those shoulders Judd. Dick Pratt must be looking up and saying how could it have turned out this way? I can hear Dick from the grave now: "You didn't recycle anything for Visy other than your own wages/sponsorship. Bless you my son." Chutzpah

off to the NCA with you. Lucky they don't exist anymore. ;)

If I understand that article correctly : a company owned by Judd lent some money to a hotel that had pokies on the condition that his involvement was kept confidential but once it became apparent that couldn't happen he wanted his loan repaid and had to go to court to get his money back

Don't see what he did wrong tbh

Not as much of a philanthropist as he is an environmentalist obviously.

If I understand that article correctly : a company owned by Judd lent some money to a hotel that had pokies on the condition that his involvement was kept confidential but once it became apparent that couldn't happen he wanted his loan repaid and had to go to court to get his money back

This.

Man's a consummate professional.

Firstly it was an investment not a loan and although it doesn't explicitly say why they were in court in the article, I suspect it is related to the part that says

''Judd's attempt to keep his investment confidential ran foul of Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation rules, which require people connected to gaming venues to be disclosed on a public register''.

But secondly, and more importantly, you don't think there is something wrong with anybody (much less somebody of his stature) making money out of pokies and going to such lengths to conceal it?

Good point Keyser.

There are plenty of ways to make money. ;)
Being a footballer is just one of them. :D

God you guys take all this so seriously, its not like we are saving lives here. The media are making an issue out of it due the hypocrisy. He's happy to be involved and make a profit yet doesn't want his name attached. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Unless you are demetriou in which cause you eat everyone's cake.

God you guys take all this so seriously, its not like we are saving lives here. The media are making an issue out of it due the hypocrisy. He's happy to be involved and make a profit yet doesn't want his name attached. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Unless you are demetriou in which cause you eat everyone's cake.

Demetriou operates within a Den of Jackals, most people can see that (eg. Case in point Leigh Montagna's report being withdrawn this week) is true.

What is under discussion is Chris Judd? Not John Elliot's dealings with the NCA, Greg Williams Pub or Lance Whitnall/Brendon Fevola's gambling habits?

This thread is about Chris Judd. Like it or lump it! :):D:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way to fail comprehension ..or ignore facts due to being a troll .:rolleyes:

''The court has deemed it was a loan and it has been agreed to be paid back with interest,''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/judds-secret-pokies-stake-20120502-1xzi6.html#ixzz1tj5SNsB9

get a life and grow a Brain.

The story also describes it as an investment but whatever you can have that if you want, it doesn't matter whatsoever.

Whether it was a loan or an investment, he knew what the money was for. He knew that he would be making money off desperate gambling addicts. It worried him enough to cover his tracks....but not enough to steer clear of it.

It became clear some time ago that Judd is a man of questionable character (and that's being generous). This just confirms it.

Firstly it was an investment not a loan and although it doesn't explicitly say why they were in court in the article, I suspect it is related to the part that says

''Judd's attempt to keep his investment confidential ran foul of Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation rules, which require people connected to gaming venues to be disclosed on a public register''.

But secondly, and more importantly, you don't think there is something wrong with anybody (much less somebody of his stature) making money out of pokies and going to such lengths to conceal it?

Whether it was an investment or a loan isn't clear from that article but either way his involvement was indirect at best but given the nature of the pokies industry I guess it's prudent that any involvement whether direct or indirect is disclosed

That said pokies are legal and there seems no suggestion that Judd did anything untoward other than have a desire that his involvement not be disclosed which is somewhat understandable. Once it became apparent his involvement had to be disclosed he wanted out which I believe led to him having to go to court to get his money back

Whether it was an investment or a loan isn't clear from that article but either way his involvement was indirect at best but given the nature of the pokies industry I guess it's prudent that any involvement whether direct or indirect is disclosed

That said pokies are legal and there seems no suggestion that Judd did anything untoward other than have a desire that his involvement not be disclosed which is somewhat understandable. Once it became apparent his involvement had to be disclosed he wanted out which I believe led to him having to go to court to get his money back

He could have just bought shares in Cash Converters? The dividend isn't that bad. Maybe better things were available? :p

The story also describes it as an investment but whatever you can have that if you want, it doesn't matter whatsoever.

Whether it was a loan or an investment, he knew what the money was for. He knew that he would be making money off desperate gambling addicts. It worried him enough to cover his tracks....but not enough to steer clear of it.

It became clear some time ago that Judd is a man of questionable character (and that's being generous). This just confirms it.

Inclined to take the courts point of view over a sensationalised article.

I'm also inclined to think that the confidentiality is more to do with the example he wants to set rather than the dodgy money he thinks he's going to earn.

It's pretty clear that Judd is a reluctant role model but he still recognises the fact that he is a public figure.

Inclined to take the courts point of view over a sensationalised article.

I'm also inclined to think that the confidentiality is more to do with the example he wants to set rather than the dodgy money he thinks he's going to earn.

It's pretty clear that Judd is a reluctant role model but he still recognises the fact that he is a public figure.

I'm inclined to think that making money is quite a common practice.
How it's made on the other hand is very different?

For example, if your job is to recycle the garbage of others to better the environment is quite "noble" in today's energy conscious society.

You don't give a 500,000 loan without knowing what it is for.

Saying that he has done nothing wrong.

The interesting thing about this is that he wanted his involvement with pokies hidden up and as a result it was shown to the world. Love it. If he didnt try and hide his involvement in the first place it's likely that it wouldn't even rate a mention. Plenty of footy players have a stake in pubs with pokies, it's not a big deal. Amusing Judd would think it is though.

Judd is a money-hungry snake.

He was obviously happy to profit from the pokies investment but recognised that association with pokies investment would impact his reputation and earning capacity in other channels.

Either there's nothing wrong with investing in pokies venues and he should not be afraid of being publicly associated with them, or, though legal, it's unethical and he was willfully attempting to conceal his profit-driven involvement from the public.

I'm CJ is deeply touched by the moral warriors on this board.

If Judd didn't care about his public perception why would he go to such lengths to conceal his involvement?

Why would he pull a $500k investment when it was revealed he had to be added to a public roster of pokies investors?

The public know that Coles and Woolworths are heavily invested in pokies machines. People don't, however, hire lawyers to enable them to get in the back entrance after hours to get their groceries so other people don't know they shop there, allowing them to continue to pretend to source local produce from organic farms.

It's not the investment that's a problem, it's the act of attempting to conceal it.

To the people arguing, a loan IS an investment in this case. Judd loaned the $$$ expecting a return?

I see nothing wrong with what he's done at all. Mountains out of molehills etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back