Micky S's Top 10 so far:

Remove this Banner Ad

BigBadCam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2006
Glenroy, Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
#1: Gary Ablett - Undeniably the most skilled ane electrifying player in the game at the moment. Still number one in anyone's book.

#2: Chris Judd
- Struggled a bit for form. Had a few good games, but definitely doesn't deserve to be at number 2 and has come nowhere near close to deserving his massive pay packet.

#3: Lance Franklin - Can't get a kick at the moment. Fat, and looks lost at times as he chases the ball up to the backline to try and get a kick. Got towelled up by Chris Tarrant against Freo and is still struggling with his frees against tally. He'd have to be somewhere in the top 10 still you'd think.

#4: Dean Cox - Doing his bit, but struggles. Definitely not close to being the premier ruckman this year. Sandilands has him covered any day. Based on what I have seen of him this year he wouldn't be in my top 10.

#5: Luke Hodge
- Struggling with injuries and doesn't seem to have pulled up too well from the grand final last year. Put in a massive effort, but playing injured he probably did himself more harm than good in the long run. Based on this year, nowhere near anyone's top 10.

#6: Brendan Fevola
- Another who has struggled with injuries this year. Admirably, he wont stop to rest though. Probably lets his team down a bit through his stubborn nature. On his day he's unstoppable, but his days are few and far between. I'd probably still have him around the #5 mark. Has seemed to drop his head after letting Dick Pratt down.

#7: Jonathan Brown
- Has kicked a few goals, but doesn't seem to be the dominant force he used to be. Perhpas his body has taken a pounding with his physical style of play. Would'nt be in my top 10 and I probably wouldn't put him in my AA side either.

#8: Nick Reiwoldt - Presenting and marking like a champion. He's only taken 12 less marks than Roughead and Franklin combined and has been a big part of StKilda's form thus far. He would probably be ranked higher than 8 based on his performance thus far.

#9: Matthew Pavlich - A gun, but seems to be moving away from the genuine forward for the Dockers. He plays effectively up the ground and seems to be taking up the general role for Freo, not unlike Goodes for Sydney back in the day. Definitely a star of the competition.

#10: Matthew Scarlett
- Does his bit, but I wouldn't say he's been as impressive as he has in previous years. Definitely still AA defender, but whether he has it in him to take the fullback position remains to be seen. At this stage probably doesn't deserve to be top 10.

Way too harsh on Judd. Has been mighty in every, or at least most, Carlton games I've seen this year. Has justified the pay packet as he leads from the front and gives Ratten the ability to build a midfield around him, opposed to someone like Stevens who they've tried to build around in the past.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the top 3 or so in the Brownlow, not saying that's a key indicator, but still.

Fevola kicked 8 in one game but if your rating key forwards this year I would have it as Whitey and Tredrea as the best and most consistent, Buddy etc next.

#1 rule...to be a great footballer u need to actually be on the paddock.
#2 rule...to be a great footballer u need to actually play great footy.

Whilst class may be permanent far too many refuse to open their eyes or reward the ups and downs of form amongst the class players. We dont suddenly shunt them from #1 to #5 simply because they miss a cpl of games but at the same time when comparing a #1 with #2 it is ridiculous to reward nothing and not reward what is earnt.

We have all seen Chris Judd undoubtably OVERrated in the past on occasions with hype...especially when out of form and carrying niggles. This has also happened with Ablett on occasions. I think its very fair to say that during that period late 07 thru 08 it was silly of some to simply continue to rank Judd at #1 or #2 and not reward those killing it...but at the same time when he does deserve it then it needs to be recognised.

Right NOW (round 8) Chris Judd has overhauled Ablett as the #1 midfielder in the game and its fair to say he is the #1 footballer playing the game currently. He has EARNT it.

Simple fact is he has contributed more to his team than Ablett so far this season and he has been on the paddock playing fantastic footy in EVERY game. Anyone saying his form has been patchy hasnt watched him or simply has a biased agenda...amazingly consistent win or lose.

By contrast Luke Hodge has been an ordinary afl standard footballer this year regardless of what you think of him. Whether that is because of form or injury just isnt important..its just reality.

Not important to me if that doesnt sit well with some but thats just another average joe opinion.

Unless you are prepared to roll with the medium term intra-season form amongst the top echelon (and recognise/reward change when EARNT) then you will always be behind. This doesnt mean changing with every wind shift and game but it does mean at least rewarding form medium term. A third of a season is a chunk of footy and Judd has simply contributed more...not forgetting that footy is a TEAM game first and foremost.

Franklin still managing to lead the Coleman, and kicked 4 while being "towelled up". He'll be okay.

For mine Judd has moved back past Ablett. Does everything Ablett does in a worse team, averages more kicks instead of racking up little handballs, wins more contested possession and clearances.

Bit harsh on Judd, Buddy and Cox.

Judd should now be number 1, was absolutely super on the weekend against Collingwood.

Buddy may not be kicking 8 goals every week but we need to remember the bloke that he didn't have an ideal lead up to the season. He will start to dominate shortly.

Cox has been great this season. In the games WCE has won he would be close to BOG, and his last quarter against Sydney nearly won WCE the game. He is still the best ruckman going around.

If it is this year, then it should be something like this:

1. Ablett
2. Judd
3. Riewoldt

Then any number of blokes who are having great years, like Goddard, Stevie J, Dal Santo etc.

I have defended Judd against the Hodge hordes over the years, but really - how short term are the memories of posters on this board. Juddy was quite simply outstanding on Sunday, but Ablett has been UNTOUCHABLE this year. Until he got injured, he was far and away the number one player in the competition.

At the stage of the season, the ratings would surely be

1. Ablett

2. Riewoldt

the rest.

Sheeesh.

This year? wtf?

I'm one of Hodges biggest fans (outside hawks) but he's played like rubish, all be it injured.

Why even say top players so far.

Just call it, "more of Mikes absolute crap"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EDIT: This is just the top 10 from Mike's top 50 before the season is it?? If so that's forgivable. Would have been nice if the OP bloody mentioned that.

Yep. OP is obviously rating the players Mike predicted as the top 10 in his intial top 50. People like to go off on rants more than they like to think through things rationally. Anyone who saw Hodge's name should've realised it can't be a 'rating on the 1st 8 games'.

Yep. OP is obviously rating the players Mike predicted as the top 10 in his intial top 50. People like to go off on rants more than they like to think through things rationally. Anyone who saw Hodge's name should've realised it can't be a 'rating on the 1st 8 games'.

Normally that would be the case, but we are talking about Mike Sheahan remember...

Normally that would be the case, but we are talking about Mike Sheahan remember...

One thing I love about Bigfooty is that almost daily you get a thread that attacks a "stupid journo" for being wrong but the poster gets proven that they were actually wrong. The response is not one of humility but "yeah but he is still ****ing stupid"

Coming off a great season and a Norm Smith I would have put Hodge up there too*, unfortunately Mike isn't Nostrodamaus and can't foresee injuries.

The OP's comments about Judd and Cox are ridiculous. Judd on the weekend showed he's pretty much back to his best, his couple of pack grabs, something we haven't seen for years, the perfect example.

After playing most of last year with a broken foot, Cox's mobility and ability to kick with both feet is back. Star.

*still behind wiggins

Buddy is nowhere near his best as we all know, and still had a lot more shots at goal than anyone else this year, while still leading the coleman - that is the scary thing for opposition teams. Hoping that other teams are satisfied with letting him kick 4 goals a game or as you put it 'towelled up', if he got 'towelled up' every game that still has him on target for close to 100 goals a year, not bad for someone who's fat and getting beaten every game. You're right though, currently he would not be in the top 10, had he had a pre-season things might be different.

Hard to split ablett and judd, at their absolute best i'd still have judd first but this season it's hard to go past ablett's form, pity he is missing with injury.

The only 3 i think are still in the top 10 from that list are ablett judd and reiwoldt.

I agree with the comments by Bollox about hodge, has struggled this year, obviously because he missed pre-season and has played injured for the last month, but struggled nonetheless. Once he is right had not having to play full back you'll see him emulate his gf form

#1 rule...to be a great footballer u need to actually be on the paddock.
#2 rule...to be a great footballer u need to actually play great footy.

Whilst class may be permanent far too many refuse to open their eyes or reward the ups and downs of form amongst the class players. We dont suddenly shunt them from #1 to #5 simply because they miss a cpl of games but at the same time when comparing a #1 with #2 it is ridiculous to reward nothing and not reward what is earnt.

We have all seen Chris Judd undoubtably OVERrated in the past on occasions with hype...especially when out of form and carrying niggles. This has also happened with Ablett on occasions. I think its very fair to say that during that period late 07 thru 08 it was silly of some to simply continue to rank Judd at #1 or #2 and not reward those killing it...but at the same time when he does deserve it then it needs to be recognised.

Right NOW (round 8) Chris Judd has overhauled Ablett as the #1 midfielder in the game and its fair to say he is the #1 footballer playing the game currently. He has EARNT it.

Simple fact is he has contributed more to his team than Ablett so far this season and he has been on the paddock playing fantastic footy in EVERY game. Anyone saying his form has been patchy hasnt watched him or simply has a biased agenda...amazingly consistent win or lose.

By contrast Luke Hodge has been an ordinary afl standard footballer this year regardless of what you think of him. Whether that is because of form or injury just isnt important..its just reality.

Not important to me if that doesnt sit well with some but thats just another average joe opinion.

Unless you are prepared to roll with the medium term intra-season form amongst the top echelon (and recognise/reward change when EARNT) then you will always be behind. This doesnt mean changing with every wind shift and game but it does mean at least rewarding form medium term. A third of a season is a chunk of footy and Judd has simply contributed more...not forgetting that footy is a TEAM game first and foremost.
Ablett misses 2 weeks of footy, and Judd gets beaten by an average Freo midfielder, and then has his best game against an injury riddled Collingwood side who let him run free. And he's now the number 1 player in the comp? :rolleyes:

I generally respect your opinion Bollox, but that is a joke.

One thing I love about Bigfooty is that almost daily you get a thread that attacks a "stupid journo" for being wrong but the poster gets proven that they were actually wrong. The response is not one of humility but "yeah but he is still ****ing stupid"

Gee, lighten up mate! If Mike Sheahan got as upset as you are on his behalf, whilst reading an internet forum, he'd give up the caper. You sound like his brother.

Anyway, there are journo's and then there are journo's. What I was saying was that in addition to the ambiguity of the OP, I misunderstood the premise of the thread on the basis that Mike Sheahan could actually devise something that wrong. There's no harm in suggesting Mike Sheahan is a twit, because it's true:thumbsu:

If it makes you feel any better though, I admit that I misunderstood the thread, and thus passed judgement unfairly.

Love it how Buddy is fat and getting toweled up but he's still leading the coleman. Can't kick 100 goals every year.

But he's the greatest player to ever play the game, isn't he?

No, Leigh Matthews is the greatest player ever to play the game.

Whats your point about Buddy?

My Top 10 so far (purely on the 1st 8 rounds):

1. Chris Judd
2. Gary Ablett
3. Nick Riewoldt
4. Nick Dal Santo
5. Steve Johnson
6. Leigh Montagna
7. Jimmy Bartel
8. Jonathan Brown
9. Matthew Scarlett
10. Brendan Goddard

That would be mine, with guys like Pendlebury, Davey, Tredrea, Roughead, Cox, Boyd, Gilbert, Fisher, Selwood and Sewell thereabouts.
Bartel is getting underrated this season with all the Ablett hysteria. Franklin is not hitting form yet. Yes, he’s leading the Coleman but watching the Hawks play this year, he doesn’t stand out like he usually does.

#2: Chris Judd
- Struggled a bit for form. Had a few good games, but definitely doesn't deserve to be at number 2 and has come nowhere near close to deserving his massive pay packet.
What world are you living on? Judd has been great in every game this year... in games where most of our players were really poor... he's been superb... will give Gazza a shake for the Brownlow... Judd could easily have polled in every game this year... struggled for form... what a load of shit... honestly that is as valid as me saying Gazza has struggled for form...

I sense someone fearing that Gazza might not be on that pedestal by him self...

Remove this Banner Ad

Micky S's Top 10 so far:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back