5 players already signed by GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

the only fair compensation would be IMO another number one draft pick, simple as that

scully has not come close the returning the club's massive investment in him, unlike a gary ablett

however i think everyone knows there is no chance of that happening, tom.... if you have signed, please just make it public and don't drag this s**t on for another year!!!!

the only fair compensation would be IMO another number one draft pick, simple as that

scully has not come close the returning the club's massive investment in him, unlike a gary ablett

however i think everyone knows there is no chance of that happening, tom.... if you have signed, please just make it public and don't drag this s**t on for another year!!!!

Just on this point did anyone see the Three Boys Dreaming documentary? It mentioned that it cost roughly $300k per draft pick to identify them and get them up and going, hence why it was now such a science.

Cant blame him if he leaves for that kind of money, a good mate of mine knows him pretty well and reckons his as good as gone.

Would think his comp would be close to Abletts if its based off 3 aspects being Salary/Age/Accolades, his on more or similuar coin to Ablett (dunno how much its backended and how much his on after his first year) his much younger than Ablett as well.

Sucks for the D's losing Scully and Watts not developing things arn't looking too good.

It also takes in performance, scully is no where near Ablett on a trade table atm.

Dees will get a 1st round pick and that's it, I reckon D.Martin would command more in an open market.

Just on this point did anyone see the Three Boys Dreaming documentary? It mentioned that it cost roughly $300k per draft pick to identify them and get them up and going, hence why it was now such a science.

really? that definately explains the recent trend to get higher draft picks right

that's quite an astonishing figure, did they say it included travelling, scout wage etc?

Massive investment? Please explain hows hes different to anyone else on your list investment wise.

Melbourne, like Collingwood, Hawks and Saints have benefited greatly from a priority pick rule that overly benefited clubs that had weak years.. If you cant build a decent team now even without Scully. well....

really? that definately explains the recent trend to get higher draft picks right

that's quite an astonishing figure, did they say it included travelling, scout wage etc?

It wasn't specific just more of a general statement in terms of why drafting kids was such a serious business nowadays, but I would imagine a lot of those things you mention would be included. At any rate perhaps the AFL should refund your money if Scully goes.

I think the new franchises being able to take kids like Scully stinks even worse than being able to take the likes of Ablett and believe me I shall have a never ending bee in my bonnet over that one!

Massive investment? Please explain hows hes different to anyone else on your list investment wise.

Melbourne, like Collingwood, Hawks and Saints have benefited greatly from a priority pick rule that overly benefited clubs that had weak years.. If you cant build a decent team now even without Scully. well....

he was a number one draft pick, we used a pick designated in general for the best young talent in the land... so that he could have a career at our club and so that we could build our team with and around him

how is that, in any way, shape or form, not a massive investment??

we could have picked martin, butcher, morabito or a number of other players... who may very well have not left us

It wasn't specific just more of a general statement in terms of why drafting kids was such a serious business nowadays, but I would imagine a lot of those things you mention would be included. At any rate perhaps the AFL should refund your money if Scully goes.

I think the new franchises being able to take kids like Scully stinks even worse than being able to take the likes of Ablett and believe me I shall have a never ending bee in my bonnet over that one!

ah ok, my main problem with the ablett situation was how it affected your footy club... obviously it was disappointing to see a favorite son leave... but i could understand some of the motivation

how do you perceive it affected your footy club?

just so i know what to expect if this becomes a similar long winded situation

ah ok, my main problem with the ablett situation was how it affected your footy club... obviously it was disappointing to see a favorite son leave... but i could understand some of the motivation

how do you perceive it affected your footy club?

just so i know what to expect if this becomes a similar long winded situation

All the conjecture certainly whipped the supporters/members into a frenzy but as for the club I don't think it really put our season off the rails. Yes Thompson v Ablett from July onwards wasn't great but I don't think it cost us anything onfield. We were never going to beat Collingwood in the PF.

The only thing last year did for me was alienate me from the AFL just that little bit more. The next two years of this crap just saddens me I don't wish it on anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he was a number one draft pick, we used a pick designated in general for the best young talent in the land... so that he could have a career at our club and so that we could build our team with and around him

how is that, in any way, shape or form, not a massive investment??

we could have picked martin, butcher, morabito or a number of other players... who may very well have not left us

The only trouble is, we all know you would deserve aanother top pick, but the AFL is in the business of screwing over all the other clubs so I would expect they would offer you a late 1st rd pick, unfairly so.

The only trouble is, we all know you would deserve aanother top pick, but the AFL is in the business of screwing over all the other clubs so I would expect they would offer you a late 1st rd pick, unfairly so.

Of course they won't offer up the #1 pick kinda defeats the purpose of recruiting a top liner doesn't it the AFL wants these 2 new teams to hit the ground running.

I do however think the 1st live pick should be offered, which would be pick 4??

Of course they won't offer up the #1 pick kinda defeats the purpose of recruiting a top liner doesn't it the AFL wants these 2 new teams to hit the ground running.

I do however think the 1st live pick should be offered, which would be pick 4??

I'd be surprises if they even offered pick 4. What did the Cats get for Yablett?

Very likely melbourne will get band 2 compo for him, same as Campbell Brown :D.

Question is whether melbourne should play him or not if they know he is going. Bulldogs had no choice but to play Harbrow because we were trying to put the best side on the park but as a developing side, having someone not in your future structure could mess up your plans and delay development of another mid. Also compo formula was said to be weighted more towards salary and age, so him missing out on a top 5 BF placing should not matter too much.

All the conjecture certainly whipped the supporters/members into a frenzy but as for the club I don't think it really put our season off the rails. Yes Thompson v Ablett from July onwards wasn't great but I don't think it cost us anything onfield. We were never going to beat Collingwood in the PF.

The only thing last year did for me was alienate me from the AFL just that little bit more. The next two years of this crap just saddens me I don't wish it on anyone.

yeah i agree, it's good to know your season wasn't too badly affected

this is a very important season for the MFC, we can't afford any distractions

yep, that is pretty much what i am expecting

I think you're probably right about Maroubra or Sans Souci. There are lots of possibilities. I'm 50km south of Sydney at Stanwell Park, 200m from a beautiful beach. You get on Heathcote Road, the M5 then the M7 and you're at Blacktown in 1 hour. The airport is 45 minutes away. I think the Giants are lining up apartments on the river for a lot of the players. I'd suggest some players might go for an apartment plus a beach house (you pick Maroubra, Sans Souci, Cronula, Stanwell Park, Mona Vale, Whale Beach etc).

Some of the lads have a house in Surry Hills. Saw them getting home from training yesterday in their GIANTS gear.

And why wouldn't they, probably the best restaurant/bar precinct in the country and 15mins to Bondi Beach.

The whole hideous Western Suburbs argument putting players off is rubbish.

Yes it is :thumbsu:

It also takes in performance, scully is no where near Ablett on a trade table atm.

Dees will get a 1st round pick and that's it, I reckon D.Martin would command more in an open market.

Very likely melbourne will get band 2 compo for him, same as Campbell Brown :D.

Doubt it.

Upon review of the League's original compensation scheme in June last year, the List Development Group came out with the following key recommendations (which were approved by the AFL):

1. The player’s age and the new contract offer to a player from the expansion club would be the key criteria used to determine the compensation for his original club;

2. Greater compensation for the loss of a ‘top echelon’ player;

3. Establishment of a committee to examine each compensation selection to ensure it did not produce a materially anomalous result.

Player compensation statement

Scully will be 20 at the end of this season. As a second year player who was a first-round pick and played more than 16 games in his first season, his base contract for 2011 will be $77,700 (plus $4,200 match payments).

If he plays all 22 games this year, the maximum he can earn in 2011 will be $170,100 (plus a bonus for finishing top 10 in the club Best & Fairest).

AFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, 2007-2011

If, as claimed, Scully has already signed with GWS, then the Dees wouldn't even have a chance to put to him a new contract offer (which would ordinarily be taken into consideration against GWS' offer when determining the compensation criteria for losing a player). Therefore, any compensation from the AFL would have to be based on the $170,100 (plus B&F bonus) he would earn in 2011...

Going on the rumored 6 year, $6 million offer from GWS, in 2012 they would be paying him approximately 5 times the amount he earned the previous year as a 20 year old.

If, as Eddie claims, the GWS look at front-loading to as much as $3 million in the first year, that would be approximately 15 times what he earned in 2011 with the Dees...

The head of the Working Group, Andrew Dillon stated:
It was the Working Group’s view that the new contract offer by an expansion club would provide a better reflection of a player’s worth, relative to other players...

Taking his age and new contract offer from GWS into consideration, it is hard to see how Melbourne wouldn't receive at least the same compensation as Geelong did for Ablett, even if at this stage of his career Scully wouldn't be considered as a 'top echelon' player.

It would also be interesting to see whether the compensation committee considered a club losing a 20 year old player drafted first overall (as a Priority Pick) to be 'anomalous'. According to Dillon:

If there was a situation where the compensation formula provided an anomalous result, it was agreed there should be a safeguard system in place where the compensation can be reviewed.

That being the case, perhaps the Dees would receive compensation which would be more commeasurable to the type of player they have just lost, such as a number one overall pick??

Doubt it.

Upon review of the League's original compensation scheme in June last year, the List Development Group came out with the following key recommendations (which were approved by the AFL):

Scully will be 20 at the end of this season. As a second year player who was a first-round pick and played more than 16 games in his first season, his base contract for 2011 will be $77,700 (plus $4,200 match payments).

If he plays all 22 games this year, the maximum he can earn in 2011 will be $170,100 (plus a bonus for finishing top 10 in the club Best & Fairest).

If, as claimed, Scully has already signed with GWS, then the Dees wouldn't even have a chance to put to him a new contract offer (which would ordinarily be taken into consideration against GWS' offer when determining the compensation criteria for losing a player). Therefore, any compensation from the AFL would have to be based on the $170,100 (plus B&F bonus) he would earn in 2011...

Going on the rumored 6 year, $6 million offer from GWS, in 2012 they would be paying him approximately 5 times the amount he earned the previous year as a 20 year old.

If, as Eddie claims, the GWS look at front-loading to as much as $3 million in the first year, that would be approximately 15 times what he earned in 2011 with the Dees...

Taking his age and new contract offer from GWS into consideration, it is hard to see how Melbourne wouldn't receive at least the same compensation as Geelong did for Ablett, even if at this stage of his career Scully wouldn't be considered as a 'top echelon' player.

It would also be interesting to see whether the compensation committee considered a club losing a 20 year old player drafted first overall (as a Priority Pick) to be 'anomalous'. According to Dillon:

That being the case, perhaps the Dees would receive compensation which would be more commeasurable to the type of player they have just lost, such as a number one overall pick??

This post needs a whole lotta luv :thumbsu:

Doubt it.

great post x2 :thumbsu:

There was also a group set up to modify the compensation pick for certain players if the equation spitted out a compensation pick that was not deemed worthy.

I would think a pick after there first and a pick at the end of the first round Melbourne would be happy with? More likely a pick after there first and a pick after the second round??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back