Review GBU vs collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

True, he did have a great first half.
Wtf????

He was ok - got 11 touches including quite a few handy ones.

How about he do that 3 or 4 weeks in a row, and for more than a half.

rather than once every 25 games.

The bar is so low for this guys that the plaudits when he has a handy 11 disposal half are insane.

Wtf????

He was ok - got 11 touches including quite a few handy ones.

How about he do that 3 or 4 weeks in a row, and for more than a half.

rather than once every 25 games.

The bar is so low for this guys that the plaudits when he has a handy 11 disposal half are insane.
Fine, maybe not great - Pretty good.

Definitely deserves a spot over Ned, if it has to be one in the team.

He keeps saying at press conferences we are still learning.

Well here is a thought, Mr Nicks, are you learning at all by the spuds you keep choosing to get the job done.

And the ones in my gun are Laird and McSpudly.
He can say we're learning, that's true for part of the team, but a huge group of players holding us back are way past that "learning" phase.

I feel sorry for Brodie. It’s like watching treacle seeing him run these days. He has become cooked very quickly.

I don’t feel sorry for McSpudly or Murphy - have always been talentless triers who shouldn’t get games.

Oscar Ryan SURELY couldn't be any worse than Smith at this point?

Taylor for Scholl/Keays even

Obviously I could be wrong but make those changes and I think we are a more skilled more dangerous team.
... in 20+ games time.
I agree with all of those. Also, we are short on game-winners, relying on too few.

If it was a choice between Sholl (do you c what I c? :sneaky: ) and Keays, I'd stick with Keays every time, even against the weakest sides when Sholl is ok-to-useful.
Keays two-way gut running is always helpful, he can tag and he has more good games than Sholl.

Crouch isnt the problem.

Crouch and laird in the same team is the problem..

1 of them needs to go. And, given crouch is the better player, it is the absolute hack that is Rory Laird that needs to go.

Crouch plays far better without Laird in the side.

Crouch came back into the side last year cause laird went out. Crouch looked bloody good and made the club reconsider him as he played bloody good footy. And the midfield looked instantly better cause crouch isnt a selfish accumulator.

Laird is the selfish accumulator.. a stat padder..

Watch how many times the hack calls for the footy when he isnt in a position to do something better with it than the bloke who already has it is..

Laird aims for one thing and one thing only.. to get 30+ possessions a game. He thinks thats his KPI and as long as he hits it.. all is good, he’ll be classed as a “gun footballer”..

Why?… because thats exactly the KPI this club has set for him and praised him for everytime he’s reached it.

And no.. that doesnt mean, as some are suggesting here, that laird gets moved back to half back. We have far better options than putting “kicks it to the moon and back” at half back.

Laird needs to go bavk to the sanfl.. he can accumulate his 30+ pointless possessions a week back there.

But this club wont do that.. it’ll persist with this useless hack for another 3 years.

Absolutely nailed it

The funniest thing I saw with Rory Laird was a few weeks ago when I'm pretty sure it was Dawson running out of the middle. Laird was standing there flat footed with his back to the goal screaming for the ball so Dawson handballs to him and then instantly handballs back to Dawson who keeps running with the ball.

Dawson had metres on his opponent and the one two pass was nothing but a cheap stat pad for Laird. There was absolutely zero reason for Laird to call for the ball because it didn't offer anything and yet he still did it.

He literally runs around amassing cheap stats and doesn't care about anything else, I don't think he has much of a footy IQ.

Absolutely nailed it

The funniest thing I saw with Rory Laird was a few weeks ago when I'm pretty sure it was Dawson running out of the middle. Laird was standing there flat footed with his back to the goal screaming for the ball so Dawson handballs to him and then instantly handballs back to Dawson who keeps running with the ball.

Dawson had metres on his opponent and the one two pass was nothing but a cheap stat pad for Laird. There was absolutely zero reason for Laird to call for the ball because it didn't offer anything and yet he still did it.

He literally runs around amassing cheap stats and doesn't care about anything else, I don't think he has much of a footy IQ.
He did it again against the lions too.. exact same thing..

Then fluffed it and got run down.. turn over

McHenry, Jones, Smith and ROB on the other hand… they were absolute stink pants. The club really needs to do more than yo-yo some of the younger players in and out of the team and actually make a statement at the selection table. Enough of this honourable loss garbage and drop an underperforming senior player or two… or three… to make clear that losses such as these are no longer acceptable.
I agree 100% with this.

I'd be happy as a pig in you-know-what if at least 2 of them were dropped this week.
My choices: ROB and Smith, to send the strongest messages to the senior players (read: Laird) to lift their game.
Dropping Jones and/or McHenry will only make the seniors feel more cosy.

Keeping those seniors safe, unaccountable and complacent would only reward their poor games and cause more losses.

Anyone got footage of Rankine fending off and then torching another 2-3 players? I know it didn't come off but that was sexy. Actually reminded me of McLeod.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All jokes aside, no, I've never heard "hygiene factor" used like that before. Learned something today :thumbsu:.

You named these factors/attributes:
"Skills and Execution/Composure, Footy Smarts/IQ, Speed and Power".
Aren't they all necessary at AFL level? Fitness is assumed, but endurance helps. A player without any one of those will be found out.
Cases in point:
--- McHenry (lacks skills and execution + no composure + not too bright)
--- Sholl (no power, contact averse, lacks composure)
--- Smith (slow, poor execution)
--- ROB (slow/lumbering/unco, dreadful kick, panics with ball in hand)

:think: Afterthought: it's clear that only our best players (Dawson/Rankine/Soligo) have and use them all.
The more a player is deficient, the worse the player.
I think they are all necessary, but rephrasing you want to be elite at at least 2 out of the 3.

I agree those that are elite at 3 are genuine elite players.

Those with 1 or none should be relegated to role players and are a dime a dozen. You want to be very careful where you place these players and you definitely don't want to focus your game or important minutes on these players.

So after we took the lead with 7 minutes left on the clock, here's just some of the errors we made

1. After De Goey's miss and we're kicking out, Jones turns it straight over to Frampton, literally kicking it to his advantage, and Collingwood get a repeat shot on goal (out on the full, luckily) because Murphy comes up to affect a contest which leaves his man wide open on the counter through overlap
  2. After that miss we play very very slow football down the line which gets turned over because we don't have contested markers up the field
  3. At a stoppage inside Collingwood's 50, Laird lets Nick Daicos get completely in the clear. Daicos kicks it out on the full
  4. A kick goes inside 50 and Rankine miraculously wins it at ground level, handballs it to Jones who's in the clear but is too slow to react to Rankine winning the ball and is in poor position. Jones attempts to handball it over the top of three Collingwood players to Laird but it's smothered (obviously) and it's a stoppage.
  5. O'Brien wins it out of the ruck (3 minutes left now) and attempts a shot on goal but shanks it, both completely missing the goals and not making the distance. Soligo was behind him calling for it
  6. Shortly after this Keays attempts a snap shot on goal he was never going to kick with at least three players free calling for the handball inside 50 in goal scoring positions. This is what leads to an epic fast turnover from Collingwood that lets De Goey kick the sealer. Keane slips over on him
  7. We're now down with 2 minutes left. With 1 minute left to go, Butts wins a free kick about half way. Butts kicks it long to the boundary with Collingwood in best position, ignoring Fogarty short. Butts was always too far to get it reasonably inside 50 and Collingwood had stacked that area of the ground. We commit four players to this contest and leave at least three Collingwood players outside in ball receiving positions along with Hill who is probably 30m away from anyone in the corridor
  8. Stoppage on the wing with 43 seconds left, O'Brien wins a perfect tap to Jones who completely misjudges it and it falls to his feet so he soccers the ball 2m into a Collingwood player
  9. After this, the ball spills clear and Nankervis wins it. O'Brien, who was right there, fails to block a Collingwood player coming from behind him, who is able to tackle Nankervis out of bounds
  10. When Rankine was running forward and ultimately called for running too far with 17 seconds left, he had absolutely no support whatsoever with most players too far forward and nothing in an acre of space around the 50

With Jones turning it over and being absolutely terrible, O'Brien shanking it, Laird being ineffective, Keays making a diabolical decision inside 50, Murphy contributing nothing, and Smith having no impact, who stood up?

Very noticeably, it was Dawson, Rankine, Nankervis (special mention to him, he was excellent busting his ass everywhere), then Hinge was decent, Crouch decent but appeared to be benched for the final minutes. Michalanney was constantly providing options on the far wing but we never used him. Soligo played a bit on Nick Daicos who had little to no influence in that period

Also, Nicks' plan to play slow and kick long down the line with a narrow lead, 7 minutes to go, with little to no contested marking power, is idiotic. Especially when down with 2 minutes to go we hugged the boundary and kicked long to packs. No creativity, no switching the play, no attempts to make space. Just players stuffing it up.

Great detail and analysis, Scorpus, thanks.
3.42 to play. Smith (top of pic, rhs) has the ball a bit forward of rhb and is just about to kick about 50m down the line to congestion.
Have a look at the only Crow free, Rachele about 35m away in space (in line with the word "WHAT'S"), whom he ignores:

1716098377954.png
Unbelievably ROB marks Smith's kick and Rachele runs on to receive and kick from deep at rhf. Point.
If Smith had hit up Rachele in the first place, all of Collingwood's intercepting defenders would have been stranded out at our rhf flank, AND it would've opened up our I50.
Dawson would've hit Rachele on the chest with a bullet, but Smith is no Dawson.
A kick goes inside 50 and Rankine miraculously wins it at ground level, handballs it to Jones who's in the clear but is too slow to react to Rankine winning the ball and is in poor position. Jones attempts to handball it over the top of three Collingwood players to Laird but it's smothered (obviously) and it's a stoppage.
Even worse: Jones had Dawson in the clear behind him! A pivot around and handball to Dawson would have put him on his sublime L leg.
Jones: NO awareness :poov1:, only looking straight ahead :grimacing: .
O'Brien wins it out of the ruck (3 minutes left now) and attempts a shot on goal but shanks it, both completely missing the goals and not making the distance. Soligo was behind him calling for it
That might be Soligo behind him to the R, but ROB is clueless, panics, and doesn't even look where he is ie well clear, with time to steady. He shanked the kick because he slipped when he planted his L foot hastily, leaning back, and fell. Here:
1716099627963.png
To be fair, he's a tad over 40m out, but
--- he's ambitious if he thinks that he is going to get the distance let alone the accuracy, and
--- he could easily have chipped forward to that last Crow in front of him (white boots, Fog?) who was in front of his opponent.
Who am I kidding to expect that short pass, right? :rolleyesv1:

Hurried when they didn't need to be, not knowing their own limitations or looking for better options, lacking composure, panic after panic after panic, but there's the thing:
WHY are they doing that?

Because they are not being Coached not to.

He made the same mistake last year and then this year again, you honestly think he won't be sack next year if we don't make Finals????
Why are you asking me this?
I was commenting on losing close games, not speculating about Nicks' position (to keep my sacred promise to jenny :innocent::innocent:)
We got close last year so he got a 2 years extension (yes should have waited) but I can't see him surviving if we don't make Finals next year.
No comment, as above (but Nicks is hopeless).

I know people don't want to hear it, but thought Frampton was actually pretty good defending 1 on 1.

He's definitely improved that aspect of his game but I also haven't seen him play for a while.
I don't mind hearing it at all. I always thought he was ok for us. He was always ridiculed and underrated here. Now he's a premiership player getting a regular game in the premiership team.

Anyone got footage of Rankine fending off and then torching another 2-3 players? I know it didn't come off but that was sexy. Actually reminded me of McLeod.
AFL have full replay of every game on their website. Here's the link to the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back