Autopsy Come and stay for the Hayward show 48 point win vs Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got home from the game.

I must admit, I saw it a bit different to most.

I didn’t see “manic Sydney pressure” as the press has reported. Instead, I saw a Freo side playing an aggressive running game that troubled us - but it did enable us to punish them on turnover.

And if it wasn’t for their wonky goal kicking, the score would have been very close at half time. It was not a dominant performance by Sydney.

Main positive for me - I’m now a JJ convert. He ran with Clarke, as well as spending some time on Young and O’Meara. And whoever he played on struggled.

The only question - can he offer more than a negating role? If he can - he’s going to be a real asset for plenty of years.

And Warner looked incredibly good when he played forward.

I found it curious that Sydney clearly saw Young and Clarke as the key men to contain - not Serong.

Overall, a solid win, but not a dominant win.

Too good tonight. You have a stacked list, talent all over the ground. Good luck for the rest of the year, seems like you'll have a deep finals run, hope you go all the way
Your lads had more important things on their mind. I'm sure things will be different next time.

Main positive for me - I’m now a JJ convert. He ran with Clarke, as well as spending some time on Young and O’Meara. And whoever he played on struggled.

The only question - can he offer more than a negating role? If he can - he’s going to be a real asset for plenty of years.

I found it curious that Sydney clearly saw Young and Clarke as the key men to contain - not Serong.

I knew you'd come around to my thinking eventually. And he's already scored goals and sets up more than a few.

GIF by Lifetime

Have those damn riff raff interlopers finally left?
riff raff alert.png

My good lady Marjorie would really like to remove the silver from under her nightie, where she placed it for safekeeping.
Although for some odd reason she wants to take her late Grandma's candlestick with her to her bedchamber.

I asked mama why and she just said 'best I don't know'.

Much easier when it's just us chaps.

After the game I found myself wondering “would Parker have helped us tonight?”

I’m honestly not sure - as he’s a terrific player, but our success is currently built on fast transition and quick, precise ball movement.

Im surprised to be saying this - but I can kinda see why he’s not back in the firsts. Our current game-style is working & it perhaps doesn’t play to Parker’s strengths.

After the game I found myself wondering “would Parker have helped us tonight?”

I’m honestly not sure - as he’s a terrific player, but our success is currently built on fast transition and quick, precise ball movement.

Im surprised to be saying this - but I can kinda see why he’s not back in the firsts. Our current game-style is working & it perhaps doesn’t play to Parker’s strengths.
As it gets closer to finals and the footy gets more contested Parky will be worth his weight in gold. The problem is "who makes way?".

Others inc me are having the same problem. Guessing the hamster wheel at BF is in a violent spin.

Surely Ken Hinkley has not stuffed Big Footy as well? Thoughts Uncle philreich ?
Well he stuffs everything else he touches - you might be onto something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A game clear on top of the ladder
Best % in the league (151.9%)
Have taken over the mantle of best defensive team in the league, against the former best defence in the league.
Currently the best attacking team in the league, and will remain so if GWS score 92 or less
Beaten 4 top 8 teams, including 2 top 4 teams.
Best player in the comp, with Warner right up there.
2 of the best wingers in the league

Apart from the minor speed-bump (Richmond), we haven't put a foot wrong and have continued to answer any criticisms that were directed our way.

I’ve got no idea why I was tagged here, it makes no difference anyway as We’ll smash you next week!
You weren’t tagged, you know you just clicked through yourself….everyone wants to be a blood,

Surprised that more hasn't been made of the hammering that Grundy and McLean gave Jackson and Treacy in the hitouts. Freo nudged the clearances but our rucks sure did their bit
I think we've come to expect that sort of game from Grundy and in a sense it becomes 'well Grundy had another good game tonight', nods head and moves on.

But he certainly deserves credit for his game and although McLean's stats are nothing to write home about I really liked his game tonight.
Competitive and effective.

Indeed I thought it was our 'role' players that took centre stage to a degree tonight.
Cunningham on Frederick/Walters, Jordon on Clark, Wicks getting up the ground much more and leading our I50s & tied for goal assists and the tall fwds all contributed, as well as McLean in the ruck.
Plus guys like Lloyd and Hayward also had fine games.

I think the cliche is a good all round team performance. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
One thing that is noticeable being at the game is the difficulty of the kicks the team is prepared to take. They have no fear kicking the ball to someone with an opponent hot in their hammer if it gets the ball where they want to be.

I have been hugely critical of horse over the years but this is a massive step for him. Old swans teams wouldn't dream of taking the risks these boys do. Yea it doesn't work all the time but it's absolutely devastating when it does

Just got home from the game.

I must admit, I saw it a bit different to most.

I didn’t see “manic Sydney pressure” as the press has reported. Instead, I saw a Freo side playing an aggressive running game that troubled us - but it did enable us to punish them on turnover.

And if it wasn’t for their wonky goal kicking, the score would have been very close at half time. It was not a dominant performance by Sydney.

I think the scoreline was dominant but the general play wasn't to the same extent. Brutal efficiency though!

A percentage booster away at Freo... take that any day of the week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back