Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

....and it was someones nephew in the middle of their journalism degree thinking it will be a good chance to get something to go on socials.

Was certainly a thing.
Were there others there, I couldn’t see?
Pretty disrespectful to a coach and team surely.

You’re the one saying he doesn’t have any midfield attributes. Saying he is too slow. Another one Josh Dunkley. I’d also love to know what evidence there is of Owens being slow. You are so damn overly critical of our young players.

Mitch’s biggest problem is that he is a good forward meaning he didn’t develop as a mid in the twos like Windy did last year.

Evidence?...I'm an unashamed armchair critic amongst you evidenced-based experts, but I suppose if you are looking for my "evidence" it is my fan eyes and the fact he doesn't play in the midfield, is that "evidence"? I could also be maths based, because I take the evidence of him not playing in the midfield, add the fact that as you rightly point out he is a forward and also add my subjective eye test that tells me he looks sluggish in the midfield which isn't a really good quality as full time midfielder. simple arithmetic of basic shyte is all I got, but I note the coaches don't play him in the midfield so is that evidence?

As we get more forwards back Owens has to become a part time mid. He’s at best an average kick and missing targets going inside 50 or missing goals really hurts.

If he can become a ball hunting, draw and handball player (with his size and strength) we’ll be so much better for it
I have no doubt he will be.

Oh gosh, a nano second Google search for a headline and then copy paste is not reading and comprehension...

No having 3 kids and watching them all stop getting taller beyond 18, watching all their friends stop getting taller beyond 18 and having a basic secondary school education teaches anyone with an inch of room in their head that this is a fact.

The Google was just for you.

Anyway, I'll follow you up in 12 months and we will check and see if Owens is then 195.

Byrnes another who could be in trouble.

Listening to Lyon it seems the plan is to throw lots of numbers through the midfield. Crouch also to come back in.

It will be interesting to see if we improve with more numbers to run in there. Jimmy back definitely helped the defence. Dow, Crouch, Clark and Henry can all run through the middle.

Probably the big story out of the game is Sincs is back to his best and had probably his best midfield game. Also getting through unscathed is important.
Butler and Higgins as well, eventually.

Evidence?...I'm an unashamed armchair critic amongst you evidenced-based experts, but I suppose if you are looking for my "evidence" it is my fan eyes and the fact he doesn't play in the midfield, is that "evidence"? I could also be maths based, because I take the evidence of him not playing in the midfield, add the fact that as you rightly point out he is a forward and also add my subjective eye test that tells me he looks sluggish in the midfield which isn't a really good quality as full time midfielder. simple arithmetic of basic shyte is all I got, but I note the coaches don't play him in the midfield so is that evidence?
He played in the midfield in his first year and then was such a good forward they play him there and allow him to ruck because his size and clearance work.

No, hit the body not the head, contesting the ball, no injury.

If that’s weeks the roos should feel as hard done by as us.

Wardlaw is a beauty too
Tried to avoid him they both zigged when one should have zagged, nothing in it at all. The hit on Hastie is another thing all together, that will be looked at.

No having 3 kids and watching them all stop getting taller beyond 18, watching all their friends stop getting taller beyond 18 and having a basic secondary school education teaches anyone with an inch of room in their head that this is a fact.

The Google was just for you.

Anyway, I'll follow you up in 12 months and we will check and see if Owens is then 195.
My son grew 5 cm between his 18th and 19th birthdays. He stopped growing after that.

He played in the midfield in his first year and then was such a good forward they play him there and allow him to ruck because his size and clearance work.

Could become a good forward who can help out with bursts in the midfield, not the other way around, but for him to be an AFL standard forward he is going to need to do some serious work on his set shots, he looks drunk when approaching the goals. Please don't take offence to this, I just like much bigger sample sizes before labelling players best 22, or champions and stuff like that, a long way to go for Mitch before he makes the grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the reactions to Max’s absolute stinker are laughable.

“On his last chance” “Will be back at Sandy”

Give me a spell.

He got sucked into wrestling with Corr instead of beating him with his strengths.

Anyway… Darcy Darcy Darcy is the story of the night.

Thought Windy was great too & what a difference big Hayesy makes. Allowing Ro to play deep forward creates a nightmare for opposition coaches.

I think we really missed a trick not playing Collard… he could have had a field day with the amount of loose balls that Norf create by chopping arms.

Would have also liked to see Dow play ahead of Hugo… the kid looks promising but would benefit from racking up some VFL touches.

BTW if we’re offering LDU megabucks… can we double it & snag George Wardlaw too. He’s unbelievable for a 2nd year player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King won’t be dropped and it’s just crazy to suggest it, the guy will eventually hopefully be a superstar. He does need to get smarter and we have coaches down there who can help him develop his game. Number 1 on the list should be to use his strengths, he has great pace and a massive leap neither of which are worth a dam if he locks up and wrestles.

That first kick of his wasn’t a great decision.
He actually looked pretty rattled for the first 10-15 but he settled well.

He was getting booed with a conviction I can’t recall seeing since Milburn tried to kill SOS at Optus Oval many moons ago (it was deafening when he got the ball) so he did very very well to settle.
After the first few touches, we couldn't hear the boos over the saints fans cheering. Not sure what it was like on the neutral wing. But it was good to hear sainters fans getting around him.

Last edited:
Could become a good forward who can help out with bursts in the midfield, not the other way around, but for him to be an AFL standard forward he is going to need to do some serious work on his set shots, he looks drunk when approaching the goals. Please don't take offence to this, I just like much bigger sample sizes before labelling players best 22, or champions and stuff like that, a long way to go for Mitch before he makes the grade.
He has a lot to work on but his marking and contested ball winning are outstanding for a young guy. His goal kicking approach looks manufactured like he has a pole in a very uncomfortable place. Sure have a routine but you do you would be my advice, so long as they go through and it’s repeatable who cares if it’s pretty or not.

That was a good goal and a sweet kicking action Hastie has but Owens will nether kick like that and it’s just messing with his mind imo trying to change his approach. I think he’ll end up splitting his time between the midfield and forward line, looks more of a midfield bull to me but apparently prefers playing forward.

Last edited:
Josh Dunkley not a bad comparison, with the right development. mitch probably a better mark. Also feel Mitch playing mostly forward suits the Team structure thing. Not sure they have identified his best spot yet.

No, hit the body not the head, contesting the ball, no injury.

If that’s weeks the roos should feel as hard done by as us.

Wardlaw is a beauty too
Wardlaw was everywhere. He must have been a challenge for his parents growing up. I can just imagine him pinging off the walls on rainy days. You'd need a back paddock so you could take him for a run so he can sleep well at night. I'm a big fan by the way and stamped his papers for the merger at Moorabin after yesterdays audition.

The thing that annoys me about this claim Mitch is slow is the fact he's actually quick for his size.

Wilkie said in the offseason he was impossible to beat 1v1 because he was so quick and cat-like with his recovery.

We only need to go back 12 months and he was running away from Gold Coast players with running bounces etc... The role hew playing ATM doesn't really lend itself to him expressing the speed he has.

Also he doesn't need to be super quick so it's all a moot point

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’re the one saying he doesn’t have any midfield attributes. Saying he is too slow. Another one Josh Dunkley. I’d also love to know what evidence there is of Owens being slow. You are so damn overly critical of our young players.

Mitch’s biggest problem is that he is a good forward meaning he didn’t develop as a mid in the twos like Windy did last year.
Good comments.

After the first few touches, we couldn't hear the boos over the saints fans cheering. Not sure what it was like on the neutral wing. But it was good to hear sainters fans getting around him.
I was closer to the north cheer squad and it was deafening. When he was defending that end it would have been pretty full on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back