News General gaming stuff, random news etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like SONY already backtracked and kept things as it was.

A linked PSN account was supposed to be required from the start which is I guess why they thought it would be ok to just try and enforce it after the fact. I wonder how many refunds Valve processed? Also another good lesson to devs/publishers that no matter how much good will you've earned it can disappear in a moment.

People cry too much, I need a PSN account to play PS games online, same for xbox. Don't you need to link a Microsoft account to play sea of thieves on Playstation?

People cry too much, I need a PSN account to play PS games online, same for xbox. Don't you need to link a Microsoft account to play sea of thieves on Playstation?

I think a bulk of the complaints come from those in countries where PSN isn't available. Then there were some other quirks it caused in places like Japan according to this.

I think a bulk of the complaints come from those in countries where PSN isn't available. Then there were some other quirks it caused in places like Japan according to this.

I've said my peace.

The Fall Guys update.... wtf

Replaced the format with three rounds. Rounds are capped at 32 people.

Worst part though is most of the levels have been replaced with very average fan created ones.

The piggybacking is stupid, the screen gets filled with all sorts of call outs. Worst update to a game I can remember.

Reddit's recent threads summarises the general feeling pretty well:

I thought that game died a long time ago. They really screwed the pooch with the greed and lack of listening to what the community wanted. Could have been a game I played for years but they turned it to s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A linked PSN account was supposed to be required from the start which is I guess why they thought it would be ok to just try and enforce it after the fact. I wonder how many refunds Valve processed? Also another good lesson to devs/publishers that no matter how much good will you've earned it can disappear in a moment.
Seems they're pre-emptively refunding people who pre-ordered Ghost of Tsushima now as well.

Seems they're pre-emptively refunding people who pre-ordered Ghost of Tsushima now as well.

Probably won't stop the review bombing but probably smart for Steam get in early on that. I read even other stores like Green Man Gaming are doing it too so I wonder if the directive came from Sony.

Probably won't stop the review bombing but probably smart for Steam get in early on that. I read even other stores like Green Man Gaming are doing it too so I wonder if the directive came from Sony.
Yeah bit strange they're willing to forego thousands of sales, but I'm guessing they look at it as potential customers in their own ecosystem down the line?

I thought this was more interesting generally than just to do with GTA 6. I think the "hit driven industry" thing is very true.

This board I think reflects it very well. I started posting here during the PS3/360, and even into early PS4/XBX the first page of the board could turn itself over in a day. Now games are taking so much longer and there are fewer big developers so we already have less to post about. Then when an anticipated game flops the board traffic generally dries up with it.

Not to get too dramatic (yet) but I still feel that if gaming stays on the current trajectory then we are headed for a crash.

I thought this was more interesting generally than just to do with GTA 6. I think the "hit driven industry" thing is very true.

This board I think reflects it very well. I started posting here during the PS3/360, and even into early PS4/XBX the first page of the board could turn itself over in a day. Now games are taking so much longer and there are fewer big developers so we already have less to post about. Then when an anticipated game flops the board traffic generally dries up with it.

Not to get too dramatic (yet) but I still feel that if gaming stays on the current trajectory then we are headed for a crash.

PC and mobile seems to be doing well though right? It the AAA console stuff that seems to be unsustainable. Learning that Spider Man 2 cost four times what the original did was mind boggling.

PC and mobile seems to be doing well though right? It the AAA console stuff that seems to be unsustainable. Learning that Spider Man 2 cost four times what the original did was mind boggling.

That last bit sums it up and why I don't think the current trend is sustainable. Go back two generations and even early last generation and games were coming thick and fast. There were lots of AAA studios and they were turning around games in 2-3 years on average. Since then we've had so many closures and the costs and development times have blown out as you said with Spidey 2.

There have been some really interesting articles coming out in the last 12 months from more the corporate levels of Sony and Microsoft where they've basically conceded that the audience isn't growing. The battle did shift for gamer's time with live service games but more of those are starting to be cancelled as it's a saturated market already.

Currently we're heading for a future where it's mostly just forever games like CoD, FIFA, Fortnite etc with a big developer releasing a single AAA for an entire generation, and with the massive costs now there is no guarantee they'll even see a meaningful return. In this scenario it makes it very hard for Sony and Microsoft to try and sell a console.

PC gaming is definitely having a resurgence though as you mentioned. I think a part of this is because there is a much larger library of quality indie and AA games available. It's also getting much easier to make quality games with small teams so we're only going to see more of it.

That's my worst case prediction at the moment. We could see a massive crash in AAA gaming as we'll hit the tipping point where there simply aren't enough sales to cover the costs of a lot of the games. The revival will come from small developers with tight budgets.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the rising popularity in FPS and multiplayer games over the last 10 years. It seems like the more popular they have become the less popular story driven single player games have become.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the rising popularity in FPS and multiplayer games over the last 10 years. It seems like the more popular they have become the less popular story driven single player games have become.
I like story driven single player

But I'm also happy for that to be a 10-20 hour experience

I don't need it padded out to some giant world where I spend most of my time avoiding the story

Studios need to realise bigger isn't better.

Games are getting too bloated

This is true. I think it's a combination of ambition to constantly outdo your previous work as well as everyone else. Also I think partly a driver now is to separate themselves from smaller teams.

Previously AAA studios had a monopoly on graphics. Everything that came with 3D graphics design was a tedious process. This is why indie and small development was confined to something like Unity using sprites.

If you told me I had a week (and sufficiently motivated me lol) to create a AAA scene complete with a rigged, animated and textured player character I could do it with UE, Blender, a heap of handy plugins and some cool (and paid) middleware like Substance Painter, Fabulous Designer and Speedtree.

Do you know what I don't have though? Time and resources. This is what separates a team of 100+ from me. I don't have the time to create complex gameplay systems or systems to handle optimising large open worlds for example. This is how AAA developers flex over the little guys and I think it's how they justify making big games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back