List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Sure but that's only $1.2M afaik and doesn't explain the other two.

Three of the biggest clubs and $5M more than West Coast. Maybe balance sheet shenanigans but if those figures are real, that's a bizarre discrepancy.

There’s other money included in there that isn’t handouts. Distributions from MCC membership is one I think.

I’d like to see the actual handout money set out, I don’t think I’ve seen that.

Surely Buss and Cumming are the 2 top priorities, the rest are optional. They fill the 2 roles we need most imo.
Get Cumming in and give him full license to do what he wants with the ball from half back.

Perryman is nice but at the end of the day, hes a mid/defender who plays either a role similar to Cole, or a defensive mid. Not entirely needed imo
Comparing the pair, they're not the same. Even though they might play similar roles. (Perryman would be more versatile too)

1714783787284.png

COLE

1714784008288.jpeg

PERRYMAN

There’s other money included in there that isn’t handouts. Distributions from MCC membership is one I think.

I’d like to see the actual handout money set out, I don’t think I’ve seen that.

Found it.

F1F84908-5ADC-40EF-8E41-C6E838F86671.jpeg

An excellent game from Zak Johnson as he propelled his Knights team to victory over the Lions Academy. Starting off in defense in a lackluster first half overall for the Knights, it was his move into his more customary mid/fwd role that kicked his team into gear as they gradually pulled ahead on the scoreboard. Zak was pivotal in a number of scoring chains as well as chipping in two goals of his own.

Looks like we are being linked to Jack Graham who is a free agent and seems to be the right age. What's everyone's thoughts on potentially getting Graham and Baker if first rounder wasn't involved and would that mean trading sheed?

There are a number of reasons the AFL are giving out more. My understanding are the following:

1. The Marvel Stadium deal was worse for the clubs based there compared to the MCG and hence compensation to clubs playing at an inferior stadium. I am taking the baseline as being Carlton since Essendon have the Dreamtime and the ANZAC Clash at the MCG and get an additional $ uptick from that. That calculates to around $6.5 mln paid out to Melbourne based clubs for not playing at the MCG

2. Geelong are required to play games in Melbourne and at Corio Bay and I assume this is the $1.5 mln offset.

3. Freo and Port get a $1.5 mln feed at the Little Runt Syndrome Beggar Bowl for being the second in at AFL dominant states. Please, when will this stop.

4. The SA clubs get to feed at the Beggar splitting (unequally $5 mln). Maybe the Gather Round is about reducing this although there are usual comments about Port being financially crap. The game looks pretty healthy in SA

5. The Melbourne Beggar Bowl where the clubs have no reason for needing funding other than they are now and have for many decades been rubbish clubs that people do not want to support. The answer to stopping this $21.5 mln is to merge 4 clubs into 2 and make it 8 teams in Victoria. Dees and Saints become Bayside or Eastern Melbourne. Neither club has heart or soul so hoping this works. Then merge Dogs and Norf to become Western Melbourne!!! Alternatively, do a deal with Norf becoming the Northern Roos when Tassie comes in and merge them with Gold Coast. At least this would restore integrity in the draft.

6. If I use Sydney as the baseline, then our Northern Clubs get $5 mln each for being in enemy territory and growing the game and running academies to steal talent away from Rugby. I am actually OK with this.

7. Suns and Giants get the start up allowance of around $9 mln each while Lions get an some $3 mln for the Leigh Matthews kissed on the Codpiece Award that makes no sense what so ever.

Where and how inequity is paid out by the vAFL.
1714795827854.png

In an ideal world, the AFL should be paying:-
1. $198 mln split evenly to all 18 clubs for their share of the TV Rights. That pretty much pays for the salary cap.
2. Nothing for the Marvel disadvantage. Allowing Geelong to play all games at their home, reducing the Melbourne teams by 2 and schedule more interstate v Melbourne games at Marvel takes away the pressure on the MCG. BTW - it is OK to schedule 2 games in Melbourne at the same time.
3. The Little Runt Syndrome (or a word that rhymes with runt) needs to stop now. Port and Freo have been moaning long enough and time to wean them away.
4. SA Beggar Bowl needs to stop and including them (and WA clubs) into a reserves competition would eradicate that hand out and make it equal. Even more so now that SA have Gather Round
5. Keep the Norther Expansion supplement at $5 mln per club but make the clubs pay fair draft capital for academy prospect.
6. Stop the $3 mln Leigh Matthews kissed on the Codpiece Award to the Lions. They have had enough time. Alternatively, start reducing it by $0.5 mln per anum and wean them off it.
7. Start a 20 year process to wean the expansion clubs off their $9mln pa handout.

So we the AFL could immediately save $40.5 mln per annum. This coul dbe then used to up the baselines for all clubs to spend so the baseline becomes $13.25 mlin. Or why not put some of that to the concussion kitty or the send more money to the AFLW.

And I post this under contracts and list management as above actions would improve draft integrity and equalisation.

There are a number of reasons the AFL are giving out more. My understanding are the following:

1. The Marvel Stadium deal was worse for the clubs based there compared to the MCG and hence compensation to clubs playing at an inferior stadium. I am taking the baseline as being Carlton since Essendon have the Dreamtime and the ANZAC Clash at the MCG and get an additional $ uptick from that. That calculates to around $6.5 mln paid out to Melbourne based clubs for not playing at the MCG

2. Geelong are required to play games in Melbourne and at Corio Bay and I assume this is the $1.5 mln offset.

3. Freo and Port get a $1.5 mln feed at the Little Runt Syndrome Beggar Bowl for being the second in at AFL dominant states. Please, when will this stop.

4. The SA clubs get to feed at the Beggar splitting (unequally $5 mln). Maybe the Gather Round is about reducing this although there are usual comments about Port being financially crap. The game looks pretty healthy in SA

5. The Melbourne Beggar Bowl where the clubs have no reason for needing funding other than they are now and have for many decades been rubbish clubs that people do not want to support. The answer to stopping this $21.5 mln is to merge 4 clubs into 2 and make it 8 teams in Victoria. Dees and Saints become Bayside or Eastern Melbourne. Neither club has heart or soul so hoping this works. Then merge Dogs and Norf to become Western Melbourne!!! Alternatively, do a deal with Norf becoming the Northern Roos when Tassie comes in and merge them with Gold Coast. At least this would restore integrity in the draft.

6. If I use Sydney as the baseline, then our Northern Clubs get $5 mln each for being in enemy territory and growing the game and running academies to steal talent away from Rugby. I am actually OK with this.

7. Suns and Giants get the start up allowance of around $9 mln each while Lions get an some $3 mln for the Leigh Matthews kissed on the Codpiece Award that makes no sense what so ever.

View attachment 1978877

1. $198 mln split evenly to all 18 clubs for their share of the TV Rights. That pretty much pays for the salary cap.
2. Nothing for the Marvel disadvantage. Allowing Geelong to play all games at their home, reducing the Melbourne teams by 2 and schedule more interstate v Melbourne games at Marvel takes away the pressure on the MCG. BTW - it is OK to schedule 2 games in Melbourne at the same time.
3. The Little Runt Syndrome (or a word that rhymes with runt) needs to stop now. Port and Freo have been moaning long enough and time to wean them away.
4. SA Beggar Bowl needs to stop and including them (and WA clubs) into a reserves competition would eradicate that hand out and make it equal. Even more so now that SA have Gather Round
5. Keep the Norther Expansion supplement at $5 mln per club but make the clubs pay fair draft capital for academy prospect.
6. Stop the $3 mln Leigh Matthews kissed on the Codpiece Award to the Lions. They have had enough time. Alternatively, start reducing it by $0.5 mln per anum and wean them off it.
7. Start a 20 year process to wean the expansion clubs off their $9mln pa handout.

So we the AFL could immediately save $40.5 mln per annum. This coul dbe then used to up the baselines for all clubs to spend so the baseline becomes $13.25 mlin. Or why not put some of that to the concussion kitty or the send more money to the AFLW.

And I post this under contracts and list management as above actions would improve draft integrity and equalisation.

Nice table and good explanation, and good suggestions which I agree with just about all of them (anything to help the coasters)

Every single one of these arguments always comes back to two things:
1) but vAFL! need to protect the boys club and
2) but TV rights deal! - AFL will never reduce teams to 'make a better product'.

If the AFL got rid of 2 of the teams they own i'm not sure they hold the numbers and power to just go along doing as they please, another reason it won't happen

Bigwean...I like it. #Timetostopthesuck.
Jim Carrey Breastfeeding GIFs | Tenor

View attachment 1978877

There's a million things they should be spending that money on before they go siphoning off more to the AFLW.

View attachment 1978877

I hate to do this, but I genuinely encourage you to go and find the recent discussion on our forum about the QLD academies.

Trust me, we're not stealing talent away from rugby league/union. Financially, you'd be stupid to choose AFL over League if you're a talented multi-sport kid.

Then you can come back and rail some more about the academies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun article on Bailey Smith trade options are reporting recruiters saying the top 12 prospects this year are very even. Three suitors for Smith in Hawks Pies and Cats. Only Hawks likely to have the currency this year placing them as favourites. Suggestions that Hawks might split pick 2 if that is where they finish and offer a top 10 to Dogs

Freo holding 3 x R1 picks look like all 3 of them will be after “desirable dozen” as Lombard and Ashcroft will mean the top end is only 10 available in open draft. Will they want to bundle up 2 of them to move up the board?

That (unfortunately) adds greater value to the Suns 2 R1 picks (own and Dogs currently both in single digits). Suns likely to trade out both first rounders to get multiple picks in 2025 like they did last year. Meanwhile have points for Lombard

Question. Would you offer our F1 for the Suns better pick this year plus one of their R2 picks? Take to the draft 3-4, 7-8, 24 and another in the 30’s and then keep our R4 as a possible late pick

Go to draft with
3-4 Draper or Smith
7-8 Travaglia or Trainor
23-24 to Dogs for Busslinger trade
30 best fit
R4 Champion as nga or speculative hoping for another Long
FA of Perryman or Cumming

I am aware this year’s WA crop is rubbish while 2025 looks normal again but it looks like Sam is wrong about us only wanting WA talent and scared to pick Vics

Of course what rule changes will the AFL make with F/S and academy matching?
Is bailey Smith really worth a top 10 pick ?
Coming off ACL , took time out of the game for 'mental health issues ' and known to be more keen on the outside of football life more than the game .

Hawks would be stupid to split pick 2 .

I could see them selling their future first

I hate to do this, but I genuinely encourage you to go and find the recent discussion on our forum about the QLD academies.

Trust me, we're not stealing talent away from rugby league/union. Financially, you'd be stupid to choose AFL over League if you're a talented multi-sport kid.

If the clubs aren’t stealing talent and growing the pool from the other codes yet creating high end talent, then the system is broken. Self interest prevails.

Academies should be run by the AFL

Actually mate. You are the one that has come onto our board. So maybe think about that first before you type

This wouldn't be the response, if you went and read the discussion.
I must admit, I do tune out from a lot of your posts. Not much chance of that happening.

To be fair though, I'm easily distracted and only communication through gif will hold my attention. 😆

Also, Asterix is a board legend and I would, and will follow in blind faith, just like I'd do with any of my team mates and the mighty West Coast Eagles

Last edited:

Why then do the Lions deserve the extra AFL funding? The Lions appear to be kissed on the codpiece and it sounds like your board agree

Time to equalise across the whole competition

Thanks for the offer of trawling but I suggest you should be bringing us the news. I thought the mods expected it from you - your entry fee to bring on our board so much

Last edited:
What a poor decision to re-sign Liam Ryan 6 months ago. Should have made him earn it this year and if he didn't perform let him go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back