Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? He wants to leave us for all the services we gave him? I don’t understand your logic based on the loyalty argument as it seems to have double standards.
Because there's a big difference between getting pushed when you want to stay or choosing to exercise your rights to leave? One is earnt, one is dictated.

I hear a lot of people saying Dusty owes us nothing. I get that point of view and obviously think he’s the most influential player to a club since Carey.

BUT if it wasn’t for the clubs patience (especially Cotchin) and good culture he wouldn’t have won any flags, if it was any other club he would’ve left to rot at North or GWS.

I personally expect that Dusty owes us to be a 1 club player after what RFC has helped give him even if it means going down with the ship.

Maybe I’m harsh but Richmond have a great history with 1 club players I don’t want that ruined because he can’t be stuffed playing in a s**t side and wants to hang out at the beach. You have plenty of time to do that when you retire.
It has been a win win situation
Without Dusty, we don’t have the silverware in the cabinet.
Without the support of the club (players , coaches and administrators) especially early in his career, Dusty doesn’t have the success and longevity in the game he’s had.
But I don’t think he owes us, the ledger is square.

Norf retired off a couple of their all time greats in Boomer and Petrie (went to Eagles for a year). How’d that strategy go?

Or what about Bombers encouraging Lloyd into retirement? Haven’t won a final in 18-years.

Demons forcing out Robbo, James McDonald and others to play the kids? Disaster.

Or Hawks shoving Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge out the door … how’s that looking for them?

I’m struggling to think of many examples where fast tracking club legends into retirement or trading / delisting them has proven to be a positive move? So not sure why anyone would think it’s a good idea based on a pretty bleak track record for clubs who’ve done it to ‘move on’..??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So you think all of those changes affected those clubs from being successful? lol how has Martin helped us the last two years . So should Essendon have kept Lloyd for 18 years? Or was it a drug scandal? 😜 Hawks introduced some terrible trades and their retirements were justified. They were down and out.
So all of those stuffed up the clubs yet they’ve had years to repair it? Never read anything so stupid in my life as all those clubs were out and gone except for Melbourne who still have a reasonable list, but it’s on the decline as they gave a handball machine tractor a giant contract and messed up the Grundy trade. Never read such a childish rationale in my entire life. lol norf included to make your case. Maybe Wayne Carey having a root with Stevos wife in the dunny was culture building then ? 😜 only on bigfooty.

Because there's a big difference between getting pushed when you want to stay or choosing to exercise your rights to leave? One is earnt, one is dictated.
So he can say I want to leave , but the club can’t say we would like to trade you? Still bull dust to me.
So he’s still a nice bloke and the club are culture killers in your eyes? 😜

Last edited:
Many probably thought the same thing when Pies finished 17th in 2021… why keep Pendles, Sidey etc..when they won’t be part of next flag? Or Cats after they got demolished in the 2021 PF by Demons … they looked cooked. But they weren’t.

If we look really honestly at our season thus far, if we had 2-3 players out and not 7-8, where do you think our win/loss would sit?

GC: Loss
Carlton: Win
Port: Loss
Swans: Win
Saints: Win
Eagles: Win

Even being quite harsh we’d be 3-3 and in the mix.

It’s crazy to write off the next 4-years when things can turn so quickly in AFL footy.

They could both still play, but our list has nowhere near the young talent so your point is mute and we are carrying at least ten blokes who are cooked . Pies carried two and moved a truckload on so you are generating nonsense with no real investigation into the real facts to make your argument. You’re a sloppy and lazy poster bc you post with emotions yet are too lazy to do any research or collate relevant information that may have caused clubs to fail.

Last edited:
Norf retired off a couple of their all time greats in Boomer and Petrie (went to Eagles for a year). How’d that strategy go?

Or what about Bombers encouraging Lloyd into retirement? Haven’t won a final in 18-years.

Or Hawks shoving Mitchell, Lewis and Hodge out the door … how’s that looking for them?

I’m struggling to think of many examples where fast tracking club legends into retirement or trading / delisting them has proven to be a positive move? So not sure why anyone would think it’s a good idea based on a pretty bleak track record for clubs who’ve done it to ‘move on’..??

I had to quote this twice to tell you how stupid it was. 😜

I dont think we'll have an issue with forcing Dusty's retirement as I reckon he will decide he doesn't go around with us again next year.

He's got the cash, he's got the legacy and career achievements both personal and team, most of his best mates are gone, his extremely close relationship with a coach is gone, he's no longer the main man, and we're facing the start of a rebuild and probably miss finals for a couple years at least.

All that doesn't drive mental engagement, think he'll probably just recognise that with us, his incredible journey is set to end.

The 50/50 part for me is whether that's via retirement or whether he does in fact go to the Suns for a couple of years because you can guarantee guys like Dimma, Grigg, Ellis, Rance will all be in his ear trying to get him up there.

Mate if you can't see the difference between a forced eviction and a simple end of lease I can't help you.
You are not seeing my point on what I quoted you on. You blamed the club for poor culture if they put him up for trade , yet if he requests a trade bc he wants to move onto greener pastures or whatever then he’s a nice bloke . Are you getting it as he’s not being loyal ? So why should he be treated as a good bloke bc of his disloyalty ? That’s the analogy and comparison I was making to your bullshit line where you were claiming it to be destroying culture if they traded him out. The other thing is can you prove it that it actually will destroy the culture? It’s also not an end of lease ?or contract as we need to give him a new offer to start any negotiations off otherwise
If a player fails to qualify for free agency but is out of contract, they can only move clubs via trade or the draft. So he’s equally guilty of your crime suggested by the club bc he has the options not the club. If he tries to get a deal worth overs then he’s playing games and the club also has no choice, but to trade him out. It’s still on him how this pans out and not the club.
The club can be a bit negligent if they force a trade by trying to low ball him which won’t happen as we will have a heap of cap space. So in reality he’s the only party that can be disloyal and a culture breaker not the club as you’ve suggested.

Last edited:
You must have missed last year when Hawkins mate Josh Jenkins 'leaked' that the Dees were interested in Hawkins. He had a new deal from the cats soon after.
i didn't. there was absolutely nothing in it that interesting tbh. Hawkins was never, ever leaving. Did anyone write stories that the Cats should cut Hawkins or not resign him? The Dusty situation is far more loaded & they know. Its unnecessary at this point of the relationship

It seems like best 22s change by 5 players each season

Last year we had 2 injury retire George & Tarrant.
2 retire Cotch & JR
1 trade Soldo

5 kids in 2021 was a good haul. Do that for 2 years.

Something similar next 2 years be good....RFC has a reluctance to have anyone senior in the VFL is limiting. With Dusty money and no free agents, I look at MFC Old mate Ben Brown still on the list spends time in the VFL. Good depth. hopefully we can bring that attitude here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL carrying on about that little touch that Reid gave Dusty is ******* embarrassing
I remember one play on the weekend Reid bent over, picked up the ball and handballed to a teammate and the commentary was something like "that gather, the disposal, that's why he's gone number 1, you just don't see that" he literally picked the ball up and handballed it. There's obviously an AFL directive to make these top picks (Daicos the other prime example) look like rockstars so they can exploit them but it often strays into the realm of the farcical.

From Freo we could surely get around pick 14. But even then after all the Academy picks etc that will prob become an early 20s pick. It's nothing great and we wont get more than that.
Your still getting the 14th best player that is available in the open draft though.F/s & academy picks are always going to that one club.

You are not seeing my point on what I quoted you on. You blamed the club for poor culture if they put him up for trade , yet if he requests a trade bc he wants to move onto greener pastures or whatever then he’s a nice bloke . Are you getting it as he’s not being loyal ? So why should he be treated as a good bloke bc of his disloyalty ? That’s the analogy and comparison I was making to your bullshit line where you were claiming it to be destroying culture if they traded him out. The other thing is can you prove it that it actually will destroy the culture? It’s also not an end of lease ?or contract as we need to give him a new offer to start any negotiations off otherwise
If a player fails to qualify for free agency but is out of contract, they can only move clubs via trade or the draft. So he’s equally guilty of your crime suggested by the club bc he has the options not the club. If he tries to get a deal worth overs then he’s playing games and the club also has no choice, but to trade him out. It’s still on him how this pans out and not the club.
The club can be a bit negligent if they force a trade by trying to low ball him which won’t happen as we will have a heap of cap space. So in reality he’s the only party that can be disloyal and a culture breaker not the club as you’ve suggested.
Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF

The AFL carrying on about that little touch that Reid gave Dusty is ******* embarrassing
even Reid said - i wouldn't have called it fend off it was barley a touch and Dusty gave him a wink as they approached the bench.
but don't let the truth get in the way.

There's obviously an AFL directive to make these top picks (Daicos the other prime example) look like rockstars so they can exploit them but it often strays into the realm of the farcical.
Exactly. Just like how when the abominable stand rule came in the commentators were falling over each other to say how much it's improving the look of the game, and increased scoring.

They were wrong on both counts.

Very cool of the goat.
Yeah I rate that. At the end of the Reid might be built like a man, but he's still a kid, a kid who got to touch greatness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back