FTA-TV First Dates - Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

🎂 Birthdays….

1893 Clas Thunberg, Finnish speed skater (Olympic gold 1500m, 5000m, allround 1924; 500m, 1500m 1928), born in Helsinki, Finland (d.1973) 🇫🇮 ⛸️

1900 Spencer Tracy, American actor (Woman of the Year, Adam's Rib), born in Milwaukee (d.1967) 🇺🇲

1908 Bette Davis, American actress (Of Human Bondage; Jezebel; All About Eve), born in Lowell, Massachusetts (d.1989) 🇺🇲

1908 Jagjivan Ram, Indian independence activist and politician, born in Chandwa, Bhojpur, Bihar, British India (d. 1986) 🇮🇳

1916 Gregory Peck American actor (To Kill a Mockingbird, MacArthur), born in San Diego, California ((d. 2003) 🇺🇲

1921 Christopher Hewett, British actor (Mr. Belvedere; The Producers) and theater director, born in Worthing, Sussex, England (d. 2001) :england:
mr belvedere.gif

1926 Roger Corman, American producer and director (Little Shop of Horrors), born in Detroit, Michigan 🇺🇲

1929 Nigel Hawthorne, English actor (Yes Minister, Tartuffe, Pope John Paul II), born in Coventry, Warwickshire, England (d. 2001) :england:

1937 Colin Powell American General and 1st Black US Secretary of State (2001-05), born in Harlem, New York (d. 2021) 🇺🇲

1946 Jennifer Penney, Canadian ballerina, born in Vancouver, British Columbia 🇨🇦 :dancers:

1948 Dave Holland, English heavy metal rocker (Judas Priest - "Breakin' The Law"), born in Northampton, England (d. 2018) :england:

1948 Hans Theessink, Dutch blues guitarist, mandolin player, singer-songwriter, born in Enschede, Netherlands 🇳🇱

1950 Agnetha Fältskog, Swedish singer (ABBA - "Dancing Queen"), born in Jönköping, Sweden 🇸🇪 :microphone:

1955 Akira Toriyama Japanese manga artist (Dragon Ball), born in Nagoya, Japan (d. 2024) :japan:

1958 Cammie Lusko, Guinness' World Strongest Woman, born in Los Angeles, California 🇺🇲 🦾

1965 Adrie Bogers, Dutch soccer defender (RKC Waalwijk) and manager (NEC Nijmegen, Sparta Rotterdam, NAC Breda), born in Breda, Netherlands 🇳🇱 :soccerball:

1966 Michael "Mike" McCready, American musician and lead guitarist (Pearl Jam), born in Pensacola, Florida 🇺🇲 :guitar:

1967 Gary Gait, Canadian lacrosse player 🇨🇦

1976 Sterling K. Brown, American actor (The People v. O. J. Simpson, This is Us), born in St. Louis, Missouri 🇺🇲

1982 Hayley Atwell, British-American actress (Captain America; Agent Carter), born in London, England :england:
h-a.jpg

1989 Lily James, English actress (Cinderella, Yesterday), born in Esher, England :england:

1990 Haruma Miura, Japanese Actor :japan:

💀 Deaths...

1531 Richard Roose, boiled to death for trying to poison an archbishop
That’s guaranteed to get yourself into hot water

1884 John Wisden, English cricket all-rounder (launched Wisden Cricketers' Almanack 1864; Sussex CCC, Kent CCC, Middlesex CCC), dies at 57 🏏

1923 George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon, English financier and Egyptologist who funded the search for and excavation of Tutankhamun's tomb in the Valley of the Kings, dies at 56 after a severe mosquito bite became infected by a razor cut 🦟

1973 John Coleman, Australian rules footballer (b. 1928) :footy:

1976 Howard Hughes, American reclusive billionaire, filmmaker and aviator, dies at 72
hh.gif

1985 Arthur Negus, English antiques expert and broadcaster (Antiques Roadshow), dies at 82.

1994 Kurt Cobain, American grunge rocker (Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"), commits suicide at 27.

1994 Roy Smeck, American musician (guitar and banjo), dies at 94 🪕

1998 John Wilbraham, British classical, baroque, and session trumpeter (Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields; English Chamber Orchestra; The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour), and educator, dies at 53 :trumpet:

2008 Charlton Heston, American actor (The Ten Commandments; Ben-Hur; Planet of Apes)Ben-Hur), dies at 84

2012 Ferdinand A. Porsche, German car designer (Porsche 911), dies at 76 🚗

2020 Honor Blackman, English actress (Goldfinger, The Avengers), dies at 94 🐈‍⬛ ♣️♠️♥️♦️

2022 Joaquim Carvalho, Portuguese soccer goalkeeper (6 caps; Sporting CP), dies at 84 :soccerball:

:twohearts: Weddings….

1614 Native American princess Pocahontas and daughter of chief Powhatan marries English colonist John Rolfe

1653 Dutch painter Jan Vermeer marries Catharina Bolenes in Schipluiden
The wedding self-portrait took years

1955 American musician Ray Charles (24) weds Della Beatrice Howard

1999 Talk show host Wayne Brady (26) weds dancer Mandie Taketa

It's still really good but I think the last season of The Wire is definitely the weakest if I had to pick one.

McNulty and the serial killer plot was funny at times but was way too unrealistic, bordering on just ridiculous. I liked the print media focus with The Sun and Gus but even then the characters were either totally good or bad, no shades of 'grey'.

Flaws that weren't in any of the other seasons.

Oh yeah and how Omar finished up was such an anti climax for one of TV's greatest characters.

It's still really good but I think the last season of The Wire is definitely the weakest if I had to pick one.

McNulty and the serial killer plot was funny at times but was way too unrealistic, bordering on just ridiculous. I liked the print media focus with The Sun and Gus but even then the characters were either totally good or bad, no shades of 'grey'.

Flaws that weren't in any of the other seasons.

Oh yeah and how Omar finished up was such an anti climax for one of TV's greatest characters.
Agreed.

Hard to follow season 4, and the cast made S5 better than it was written. For me it's an epilogue rather than a season in its own right.

Didn't mind Omar's conclusion.

Agreed.

Hard to follow season 4, and the cast made S5 better than it was written. For me it's an epilogue rather than a season in its own right.

Didn't mind Omar's conclusion.
Yep season 4 the best by far. Shame Shell quit watching before that might have enjoyed it with the kids and the school system focus.

Then I'd go 3, 2, 1 and finally 5 last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back