AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet now we are playing Martin in a role where he doesn’t defend and also heppell in the back 6. So 2 guys who can’t defend 😂
At least Martin can mark.
They gave away Mass because they did not want to commit long term given he had shown no improvement in his defence.
Martin May only be short term at half back anyway. He may get better he may not.
I have no issues as Roberts and Lual defend a bit and they can keep upgrading the position.

I think you’re the one who needs the Heppell glasses off. He was solid, made a huge blunder with the dropped chest mark and was sometimes a little slow to dispose of the footy. We all know what he is defensively, but he was nowhere near the worst. I wouldn’t have him in the best 22 all fit but unfortunately we were in a position where we missing redman Reid Ridley and Baldwin.

I hope you also weren’t one of the posters nitpicking his good games last season.

I think you’re the one who needs the Heppell glasses off. He was solid, made a huge blunder with the dropped chest mark and was sometimes a little slow to dispose of the footy. We all know what he is defensively, but he was nowhere near the worst. I wouldn’t have him in the best 22 all fit but unfortunately we were in a position where we missing redman Reid Ridley and Baldwin.

I hope you also weren’t one of the posters nitpicking his good games last season.
I wasn't.

He was definitely close to WOG. You listed Cox and McKay as guys who were arguably worse, when McKay shut down one of the hottest young forwards in the game, and Cox had an excellent first half which automatically discards that theory.

Yes we're missing players, which is why most had no problem with him playing, but anybody who lists nearly half the team as worse are delusional.

Other than reading the ball in the air he is hopeless defensively. If he’s up the field and there is a turnover he’s cooked on transition.

Every time the ball hits the deck at an even numbered contest it’s like we are playing one short.

I’m anti Jake Kelly but he actually knows how to defend and has the strength/athlecism to compete. It makes no sense to shift him to the wing and carry Heppell in the backline.

Obviously this is all a bit of whinge until he’s selected when Ridley and Redman are available.

Other than reading the ball in the air he is hopeless defensively. If he’s up the field and there is a turnover he’s cooked on transition.

Every time the ball hits the deck at an even numbered contest it’s like we are playing one short.

I’m anti Jake Kelly but he actually knows how to defend and has the strength/athlecism to compete. It makes no sense to shift him to the wing and carry Heppell in the backline.

Obviously this is all a bit of whinge until he’s selected when Ridley and Redman are available.
We had to shift Kelly to wing so we could move Martin (who can't defend a wing) to half back (where he can't defend a flank).

we know why he's out there
our leadership is shallow. Add Ridley, Redman and Kelly out as senior players in defence, and thus we are where we are.

Reid, Ridley and Redman back will give us a bit to think about, but suspect you add them to McKay, Cox, McGrath and Martin as the back 7.

we know why he's out there
our leadership is shallow. Add Ridley, Redman and Kelly out as senior players in defence, and thus we are where we are.

Reid, Ridley and Redman back will give us a bit to think about, but suspect you add them to McKay, Cox, McGrath and Martin as the back 7.
Carrying spuds in your 22 purely for their "leadership" qualities is such an Essington thing to do.

I'd rather pick an actual best 22 and let the leaders come to the fore

Carrying spuds in your 22 purely for their "leadership" qualities is such an Essington thing to do.

I'd rather pick an actual best 22 and let the leaders come to the fore
leaders train leaders i guess.
we didn't lose because Heppell played. What we're trying to fix by playing him is (in part) why we lose to the good teams.

our over 25s don't exactly scream a lot of leadership
Parish & Redman - elite players, at the club 9 years. never in the LG
Stringer - been with us 7 years.
Shiel i think was there once?
McKay, Gresham, Goldy just come into the joint
Wright, Kelly, Hind have come in but similarly don't appear to be leaders.

It's Merrett, Heppell and McGrath.

Goes to the heart of our issue for over a decade.
too many individuals doing they're thing vs. a team ethic.

Not his job to stop playing to appease fans. It's his career. It was th club's job to tell him it's over last year.

This year? Should be made to dominate at VFL level to get games. It's a competitive sport. Be competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

settle down malaka.

Season 5 What GIF by The Office

leaders train leaders i guess.
we didn't lose because Heppell played. What we're trying to fix by playing him is (in part) why we lose to the good teams.

our over 25s don't exactly scream a lot of leadership
Parish & Redman - elite players, at the club 9 years. never in the LG
Stringer - been with us 7 years.
Shiel i think was there once?
McKay, Gresham, Goldy just come into the joint
Wright, Kelly, Hind have come in but similarly don't appear to be leaders.

It's Merrett, Heppell and McGrath.

Goes to the heart of our issue for over a decade.
too many individuals doing they're thing vs. a team ethic.
Too many individuals doing their own thing. And the leader training our leaders is the guy who left his teammates at the banner to hug friends and family. God help us.

Lav maybe
Hind yes
Duursma no
Hobbs no
Menzie maybe
Goldstein no
Tsatas no
Cox definitely not
McKay? I want to know what game you were watching.

So one yes, two maybes and the rest no. Definitely one of our worst. Take the Heppell glasses off. He was terrible.

He as definitely better than Duursma, Tsatas and Menzie. Having said that ..with Redman, Kelly and eventually Ridley back can't find a place for him in the side.

Too many individuals doing their own thing. And the leader training our leaders is the guy who left his teammates at the banner to hug friends and family. God help us.
that game should be replayed weekly to remind the group its not that long ago we were shown up for the soft bellied organisation we are :p

He as definitely better than Duursma, Tsatas and Menzie. Having said that ..with Redman, Kelly and eventually Ridley back can't find a place for him in the side.
No. He wasn't. He was clearly worse than all three.

I have given up looking at it too much. We all know the problems. He does some good stuff and he has a few mares a game and he is slow and struggles to defend because of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back