Preview Round 1 v Carlton MCG Thursday March 14 7.30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shame in getting jumped, we experienced the same thing on the weekend

Don't get me started on McClure, deadset knob. I see us in the 13- 16 win range
I'd say better than 13 -16. Regardless of the McClure overhype - you do have 2 very good forwards ( 1 elite, 1 very good) that the umps like.
My brother is a blue. I won't be shattered if you win it all.
Best of luck. You talk far too much sense to be a blues fan. lol

Just over 24 hours until the team is named. It will be interesting to see just which way Yze and co go. Lynch Nankervis & Martin definitely in, Mansell was penciled in for a spot before hurting his ankle against Melbourne in the first scratch match, so would have to be in serious contention to return.

The bigger issue is who makes way and there are plenty of candidates after Opening Round.

Of the older guys:
Grimes struggled yet again and doesn't quite have the same standing with Yze as he did with Hardwick
Prestia backing up on a 5 day break with his injury history should be managed based on last weeks decision to rest Martin
Broad was another older guy who didn't have his normal impact that we've come to expect.
KMac played a typical game for him, but does he offer more long term than a younger player.

Of the younger kids:
Dow didn't quite live up to the preseason hype, but had a lot of more experienced teammates struggle.
Banks was quiet on his wing with limited impact.
Ryan likely makes way for either Nankervis or Lynch
Koschitzke limited impact, but surely you give him a shot playing alongside Lynch as Yze would have been planning all summer.

Personally I'd like to see Dow Koschitzke & Banks retained as we need to pump game time into them for their development, but is doing so bringing selection integrity into question as surely you pick players on form, not potential.

On the flip side there are the experienced players who will be less likely to be phased by the big game atmosphere and should provide a more consistent performance across 4 quarters.

Like I said it will be interesting to see which way Yze and co go.
Nice to read a balanced comment. Resting Prestia is the obvious out to bring Dusty in Ross has to play so kmac looses his spot. Nank for Naismith. Who makes way for Lynch. I think it has to be Grimes out and Balta back. If it was me I would also play one of Taranto and Hopper as a third tall and part time midfielder

Just over 24 hours until the team is named. It will be interesting to see just which way Yze and co go. Lynch Nankervis & Martin definitely in, Mansell was penciled in for a spot before hurting his ankle against Melbourne in the first scratch match, so would have to be in serious contention to return.

The bigger issue is who makes way and there are plenty of candidates after Opening Round.

Of the older guys:
Grimes struggled yet again and doesn't quite have the same standing with Yze as he did with Hardwick
Prestia backing up on a 5 day break with his injury history should be managed based on last weeks decision to rest Martin
Broad was another older guy who didn't have his normal impact that we've come to expect.
KMac played a typical game for him, but does he offer more long term than a younger player.

Of the younger kids:
Dow didn't quite live up to the preseason hype, but had a lot of more experienced teammates struggle.
Banks was quiet on his wing with limited impact.
Ryan likely makes way for either Nankervis or Lynch
Koschitzke limited impact, but surely you give him a shot playing alongside Lynch as Yze would have been planning all summer.

Personally I'd like to see Dow Koschitzke & Banks retained as we need to pump game time into them for their development, but is doing so bringing selection integrity into question as surely you pick players on form, not potential.

On the flip side there are the experienced players who will be less likely to be phased by the big game atmosphere and should provide a more consistent performance across 4 quarters.

Like I said it will be interesting to see which way Yze and co go.
The Prestia one for mine is an interesting one. Pretty sad when we might be looking to rest Dion after having played just the one game, albeit on a five day turnaround. Just an indication of the big problems we have with our current list.

The Prestia one for mine is an interesting one. Pretty sad when we might be looking to rest Dion after having played just the one game, albeit on a five day turnaround. Just an indication of the big problems we have with our current list.
No not a problem...just a viable direction!

According to some posters here, Young is out best one on one defender, so there is no issue with him locking down one of them.
Not sold on Young yet now that we have Gibcus there. That makes it an inexperienced tall BL with two struggling backmen in Broad and Grimes. Miller needs to play FB beside Gibcus as he's tougher, cleaner faster and better equipped than Young in taking a monster forward. Miller will eventually break into the side with Brown, Trezise, Sonsie and KMAC2. It's only when the MC finally realize the old campaigners are taking us nowhere.

Prestia doesn't have the best injury history so if there is any query over him, I'd like to see them take the same precautions they did with Martin and give him the week off, with a 10 day break until R2 he would be coming in fresh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see the following changes
OUT: Grimes (stupidity has to be punished), KMAC (Disposal accuracy is the same as a North Korean Missile), Ryan, Prestia, Koschitzke

IN: Brown, Ross, Lynch, Nank, Dusty and starting Sub: Cumberland
"KMAC (Disposal accuracy is the same as a North Korean Missile)"

Hahah this is brilliant and so true

Not sold on Young yet now that we have Gibcus there. That makes it an inexperienced tall BL with two struggling backmen in Broad and Grimes. Miller needs to play FB beside Gibcus as he's tougher, cleaner faster and better equipped than Young in taking a monster forward. Miller will eventually break into the side with Brown, Trezise, Sonsie and KMAC2. It's only when the MC finally realize the old campaigners are taking us nowhere.
Don't get the Young hype. Played out of necessity last year. Just a player

One thing that always seems to be forgotten is that when your midfield is smashed it makes your defenders look very very average.
And that is why the Brownlow Medal of late is awarded to the best mid fielder player!
The mid field is where the movers and shakers are playing...
First to the contest and ball...first to dictate the tempo of the game!

Don't get the Young hype. Played out of necessity last year. Just a player
Still inexperienced at the caper, but we need to still have him on the list bc that necessity is unfortunately still there. It will be interesting to see if he can develop his game further to an Astbury level or whether he's at his peak now.

One thing that always seems to be forgotten is that when your midfield is smashed it makes your defenders look very very average.
Agree and I've stated this on numerous occasions as sometimes people look at the symptom and not the cause. However, the Young reference i was making is he able to take on a monster like Curnow or McKay which another poster suggested also? Young is also iffy and in two minds at ground level and can make horrendous errors and some unforced ones.

100%

There was intent
He punched Neale on the jaw
It made contact

…seems to have got off because it didn’t cause injury…wtf is that?….i Might go on a blinder …drive my car…if I don’t kill anyone, cops shouldn’t charge me

Only explanation is CFL didn’t want to suspend a blooze player bc we are their next opponent…
Behind angle showed it glanced off Neale’s shoulder first so they said intent was to the arm

So throw haymaker kill whoever you want just make sure it glances up off the shoulder first. Good to see they cleared that all up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back