Preview 2024 Pre season trial game 2 - Vs West Coast - Hisense Sat Mar 2 @2:40

Remove this Banner Ad

Except Hinge is in pretty bad form, for the last three weeks. Are we meant to ignore that? For how many weeks? How many kicks need to go to the opposition before we decide it's an issue - 20? 30? 50?

The issue with Sholl is we keep asking him to improve his flaws instead of maximise his weapons. He has a lot he can offer a team that makes the most of him, which hasn't been us. A wingman that accumulates at the level he does with his disposal efficiency has value - we just worry that he's not also a contested bull.

I think we play Hinge and let him run into form, but he's certainly a little bit concerning.
Good post.

We need to learn how to use & management Sholl during the season.

Ie. Don't play his for all the early games til he is burnt out.

Use him on grounds & opposition where suited to his hard running on the outside. Don't play him it wetter conditions where it is more contested.

nah its trial/warm up games , the whole purpose is to get it out of your system

pick your best players, i'm pretty sure hinge and pedlar are game day performers in real games
You absolutely play them both early... but they need to sort their form out quickly!

We had all our picks inside the top 30 I believe and didn't rate him inside where our draft picks were. We didn't want to lock ourselves into picking a guy with a later pick when we thought more talented guys were available.

Plus I don't think Tyson really wanted him at the Crows anyway, he put plenty of blame on the club for Jackson not having an AFL career where it's probably more a case of the only reason he even got on an AFL list was cause we went for the PR.

We took Rowe at 38. Wonder what pick would have been required to match at 52? I like the romance of father son and prefer we’d had a go. But I do think the Edwards’ weren’t fussed either way. And Eagles better for the kid as they’ve had to play their entire list.

i've watched the game numerous times and quite recently as paid close attention due to rankine being my fav player and this was his statement game

he didn't play behind the ball and I think one possession in defensive 1/3 proves that

trying to belittle nicks for being too defensive doesn't really work given we scored more points than anyone, maybe belittle him for being too offensive and not good enough at slowing down opposition run ons defensively , you'll have more credibility

So...wait, he played in defense for a time during that game. funny that! if only someone pointed that out. Lack of possession literally means nothing. Thats like saying 4 possessions to Murphy for an entire game means he must have only been on the field for 2 minutes.

Well well well well well well well if it isn't time to dust off my President of the Hinge Anti-Fan Club hat. Savoury edit: Can't kick very well.

I know you've all be waiting for my shit (hot) takes.

Loved Berry today.
Loved ROB.
Loved Rankine
Loved Rachele
Loved Soligo, you just see the flashes of brilliance.
Loved plenty.

Ok thanks, hope this was enough to satisfy your hunger

Last edited:
We took Rowe at 38. Wonder what pick would have been required to match at 52? I like the romance of father son and prefer we’d had a go. But I do think the Edwards’ weren’t fussed either way. And Eagles better for the kid as they’ve had to play their entire list.

I think it just came down to our rating of him compared to our needs. I dont think we thought he'd never be an AFL player but clearly Rowe was a stop gap player to have someone with a mature body at the ready to replace Stengle thats why we selected him. It was probably between Edwards and Cook and Berry for that selection.

So...wait, he played in defense for a time during that game. funny that! if only someone pointed that out. Lack of possession literally means nothing. Thats like saying 4 possessions to Murphy for an entire game means he must have only been on the field for 2 minutes.
the guy was our best player on the day, literally dominated and his best game for us

i'm sure he would have found plenty of ball in defence if he was ACTUALLY playing in defence

he was playing high forward , managed to get ball ONCE in back 1/3 , not uncommon

haha has to bring murphy into it for no reason at all LOL

the guy was our best player on the day, literally dominated and his best game for us

i'm sure he would have found plenty of ball in defence if he was ACTUALLY playing in defence

he was playing high forward , managed to get ball ONCE in back 1/3 , not uncommon

haha has to bring murphy into it for no reason at all LOL

He was and he didn't. But im not for one minute suggesting he played anymore than 5 or 10 minutes of the entire game at most. It was merely a humorous observation because of the too defensive criticism and the talk Nicks likes putting our best players behind the ball prior to 2023. Sense of humour can go a long way.

He was and he didn't. But im not for one minute suggesting he played anymore than 5 or 10 minutes of the entire game at most. It was merely a humorous observation because of the too defensive criticism and the talk Nicks likes putting our best players behind the ball prior to 2023. Sense of humour can go a long way.
Oh it was a joke, all good then

makes more sense now

I think it just came down to our rating of him compared to our needs. I dont think we thought he'd never be an AFL player but clearly Rowe was a stop gap player to have someone with a mature body at the ready to replace Stengle thats why we selected him. It was probably between Edwards and Cook and Berry for that selection.

At 52, I doubt getting a pick to get him was going to be at the expense of Cook or Berry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 52, I doubt getting a pick to get him was going to be at the expense of Cook or Berry.
Remember at the time we were maybe looking for players with more speed or power and basically ruled ourselves out early

Also not sure we wanted to take another son of Tyson’s unless we really rated him and were going to give him opportunities early

OK so can someone refresh me on why we didn't nominate Luke Edwards as F-S?

Only thing I can see is Tyson's weird behaviour towards the club after he retired. But he was touted as a first round pick on 2020 and we didn't even nominate him. Seems bizarre. Or maybe he's just not that good! All indications seem to be that he will be though.
Honestly I think he’ll be delisted at the end of this year. Does some very nice things with ball in hand, seems to find (and put team mates into) space quite easily but then goes missing for an entire half. Well played today btw, ROB absolutely killed us.

Honestly I think he’ll be delisted at the end of this year. Does some very nice things with ball in hand, seems to find (and put team mates into) space quite easily but then goes missing for an entire half. Well played today btw, ROB absolutely killed us.

He’s played less than 20 games in an absolute rabble where most of the team has gone missing for long periods regularly.

If you’re making a point, it’s very subtle.

It can be a bit difficult to judge, if you hadn't been so crap, he mightn't have played and had a chance to look ok in patches. But he migh5 also have played better and more consistently with better players around him and/or if you weren't getting regularly thumped. Either way, a couple of years in and 20 games, it's pretty normal he'd have ups and downs. Not that I've seen him play, you haven't exactly been on the watch list during his tenure.

He’s played less than 20 games in an absolute rabble where most of the team has gone missing for long periods regularly.
That is fair enough - but logic says that they're delisting a minimum of eight players at year end, and currently Edwards is likely to be one of them.

Of course, he has a season to turn that around.

That is fair enough - but logic says that they're delisting a minimum of eight players at year end, and currently Edwards is likely to be one of them.

Of course, he has a season to turn that around.

Why are they delisting 8 players? Drafts barely get through the 4th round these days, that'd have Eagles drafting 3 or 4 players after every other club has packed up and gone home. Highly doubt they'll do that.

Just watched the replay. Sholl was very good IMO. There’s a player there.
Sholl showed us there's a player there in the 1st half of last year but significantly faded as his body still can't cope with a full season of AFL, another preseason under Burgess might have improved otherwise he will likely get delisted and I can't see another club taking a chance on him since they will also noticed he can't play a full season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back