Game Day Preseason Game 2 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Fellas I couldn't watch the game, could I get a basic summary of our highlights and lowlights? Why is no one mentioning Young's 26 disposal 2.3 goal performance?

Hungry Food GIF

The most concerning thing to me was our inability to move the ball from D50 to F50 which has been our fundamental issue for years. Conversely Port did the same with ease.

Port did because we let them walk it out with ease.

What’s quite terrifying is that I think the coaching group went into this game genuinely thinking Wagner and Walker are not B22 right now and will start the year at peel… and instead Worner and Hughes are the two guys that will start the season on the half back flanks.

Goodness gracious me, as BT might say 🥺😳

Voss looks fairly agile, but looks shorter than 194 to me. Not much aerial presence, yet has a great set shot, finds the pill and is strong in the contest. Can at least halve a marking contest.

I think he’s more in the mould of the 4th tall (medium option) so should be competing more against Sturt and Banners imo. He added plenty of defensive pressure too.

Yeah play him rd 1.

What’s quite terrifying is that I think the coaching group went into this game genuinely thinking Wagner and Walker are not B22 right now and will start the year at peel… and instead Worner and Hughes are the two guys that will start the season on the half back flanks.

Goodness gracious me, as BT might say 🥺😳
Imo Walker isn’t ready yet so take him out of it..

Wagner on the other has been in full training for a few weeks now I thought and looked unhampered last week.

Yes Clark is faster and more talented, but tbh Wagner has more balls in that dept. He plays far more attacking and it’s possible Clark will get tagged out etc..every more reason to bring in a 2 time delisted “recycled” player who plays positive, fast, down the corridor footy. No team sees Wagner as damaging and won’t be tagged out like Clark.
Clark looked great last week against a non entity footy club.
On another note what was with the kick outs. I knew coming in we were going to take the less risky option out of d50 which was premeditated, but long bombs to a contest is just s**t.

This supporter group is turning into a doomsday cult. The amount of hand wringing over a ******* preseason game is laughable.

The only thing we should be talking about is one H Young’s move into the middle. We have found ourselves a goal kicking big bodied inside mid that runs two ways and will cut you to ribbons with his left boot AND added that to Darcy, Brayshaw and Serong. That’s dynasty stuff.

You really think we would be going full tilt hoping to win that with the team we sent over? Hah.

What playing port really highlights is the lack of 'it' factor in our midfield. We have a deep midfield full of really good B+ to A players but there's no one that's going to cut you up, they are all weight of numbers guys. Rozee can get it 20 times and cut you up. None of our guys are like that. We rely on method moving it out of there and our coach is JL. That's a concern.

That Brisbane loss last year we got spanked but there were encouraging signs. This was just depressing. We are being let down by coaching and the football department. The wing situation is a shambles.

Fellas I couldn't watch the game, could I get a basic summary of our highlights and lowlights? Why is no one mentioning Young's 26 disposal 2.3 goal performance?

Hungry Food GIF
Biggest concerns for me was slow play and kick outs bombing to a pack. We’ll need a plan B when oppo floods the corridor and takes awa the game plan.

Excellent:
Young
Darcy
Fyfe
Pearce
Simpson
Walters

others:
Sturt had a shocker
Forwards didn’t work together, lead to the same spot etc
Kick outs, I hope they don’t bomb to 55 every kick out this year

Apart from SPP, Port looks close to full strength and played full strength to the end bar their one injury.

JL benched quite a few but slow play but forward delivery the biggest red flags.

Adding Amiss, Jackson, Frederick, Walker/Wagner and maybe Emmet and we’ll look very different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rewatching and to half time it’s Darcy Fyfe Pearce standing up. Young could’ve had 4 goals already. Quieter than expected from AB Serong JOM. Sharp isn’t playing rd1 and Hughes Worner are weak spots in the back. Otherwise I didn’t mind the hit out with a hard opponent. kicking out from fullback still as predictable and stupid as ever.

Rewatching and to half time it’s Darcy Fyfe Pearce standing up. Young could’ve had 4 goals already. Quieter than expected from AB Serong JOM. Sharp isn’t playing rd1 and Hughes Worner are weak spots in the back. Otherwise I didn’t mind the hit out with a hard opponent. kicking out from fullback still as predictable and stupid as ever.
AB, Serong, Johnson and JOM were a bit concerning, not sure if it’s new roles due to young and Fyfe in the middle but some of Sarong’s decision making was diabolical. AB with some very basic skill errors and Johnson and JOM virtually unsighted.

AB, Serong, Johnson and JOM were a bit concerning, not sure if it’s new roles due to young and Fyfe in the middle but some of Sarong’s decision making was diabolical. AB with some very basic skill errors and Johnson and JOM virtually unsighted.
Serong and AB can and will get better… JOM is a downhill skier.

Put me in the mad house. I felt optimistic in the first half. I thought we had periods of dominance which we scored from and despite the commentators plaudits for Butters and Rozee, I thought our midfield was on top.

Second half back to old habits. No answers to their overlap run which we should have been ready for, and bombing down the line to packs, why are we still doing that?

Hungry Food GIF

It was ugly, smashed at ground level outside of clearances. Struggled to get going by hand, lots of fumbles, missed targets and handballs to players who were in poor positions and immediately dispossessed. Only got some fluency when Port dropped their pressure. Kick outs were uncreative and generally Port were able to either intercept or spoil and win it at ground level for entries.

If we dish that up r1 we will lose by 10 goals.

The other issue was our tall forwards didn’t create a contest, Port were able to easily intercept and our small forwards were ineffective in pressuring their rebounders.

Port stretched the ground when they rebounded, sending their forwards deep so there was a lot of space thru the middle, so they were hitting targets in the centre square and getting easy entries.

Our defence fought hard but the players down the ground didn’t help them.

The good news is Port showed us all the areas we need to improve, and we have two weeks to work on it. Coaches really under the microscope to ensure we are better able to perform.

Some players may have played themselves out of r1 contention - Johnson, Treacy and JOM in particular.

Supporter of JOM and will play rd 1..but gee he was like the invisible man out there. Needs to get more involved than that as a senior player.

The coaches ask for consistency, and JOM consistently goes missing. He is a caricature of a good footballer, he says the right things, he is chiseled like a statue, and he is likeable.

But if he were a good player he would play well. Would prefer Banners, Dris or Brodie over him depending on which role the coaches have for him.

At some point the club needs to realise that being a good bloke isn’t sufficient to make the team, there needs to be a line drawn on production and contribution.

I'm just astounded by how much Lachie Jones looks like some kind of a wild boar-type creature.
What's worse is that Sturt made him look All Australian quality.

I like Sturt, but that was a horrific performance. I know he has again had an interrupted pre-season however basics like getting your hands out in front of the body to mark instead of chest mark don't require fitness. Think he is looking at playing for peel for at least 4-6 weeks until he is match fit and regained confidence.

Preseason or not, that is the worst game Brayshaw and Serong have played collectively. They will improve.
I am not trying to be dramatic but that game from Sturt is bordering on Jack Anthony, and honestly, might not see him selected for another 10 - 12 weeks. Treacy had a shocker, is a better third tall rather than playing on the oppositions best defender.
As many have said, bring Wagner and Walker back (give Walker minutes for Peel if needed) as we desperately need run from half back. Not a bad first hit out from Sharp IMO, he will only improve from here and should be given a shot on the wing.

Finally, it is only preseason and this team is going to look a fair bit different with Jackson, Amiss, Freddy, Emmett, Cox, Walker and Wagner, (Who should all be there round 1).

Last edited:
The most concerning thing to me was our inability to move the ball from D50 to F50 which has been our fundamental issue for years. Conversely Port did the same with ease.

Our forward line was total dogsh*t but hopefully it will look completely different personnel wise in the season proper.
This is a funny post because it's like you're answering the question in your first paragraph in the second paragraph.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back