Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think you can be that hard and fast. Especially if a number of countries have their national opens included in the world tour. Imagine an AUS Open with only 6 or 7 Aussies, or even worse a Scottish open with one. There are some great tournaments around the world that don't have many, if any local players in the top 100. Some of those locals that would miss out might be extremely popular, for example Japanese or Thai golfers if a tournament went to either of those countries.

Having the flexibility for tournaments to include locals/ past winners/ drawcards guys like Phil, Bubba/ all timers etc would maintain the profile of those tournaments.
Yeah fair enough, maybe 10-20 at the discretion of the individual tournament.

But if you want a genuinely top-tier competition (with the $$$ and interest that goes with it) you have to make a choice I guess.

Using the Aussie Open as an example, do you want the best 100 players in the world playing serious big boy golf at Royal Melbourne (even if that means only 5 Aussies) or a whole bunch of hometown players playing and Min Woo Lee and Cam Smith being the only players of much interest?

Whatever way it's done, it won't be perfect, but I'd rather see the best players going at it, at the best courses around the world, than some of the best and some hometown ring-ins.

Yeah fair enough, maybe 10-20 at the discretion of the individual tournament.

But if you want a genuinely top-tier competition (with the $$$ and interest that goes with it) you have to make a choice I guess.

Using the Aussie Open as an example, do you want the best 100 players in the world playing serious big boy golf at Royal Melbourne (even if that means only 5 Aussies) or a whole bunch of hometown players playing and Min Woo Lee and Cam Smith being the only players of much interest?

Whatever way it's done, it won't be perfect, but I'd rather see the best players going at it, at the best courses around the world, than some of the best and some hometown ring-ins.
Full fields allow for about 144 - 156 (I think), so it does give some flexibility, which I think would be needed and wouldn't detract from the tournament. In fact I think it adds value.

If the top 100 players were selected right now based on world ranking and adjusting to include the top 20 from LIV last year it would look like this:

SchefflerUSA
McIlroyIRE
RahmSPA
HovlandNOR
CantalayUSA
SchauffeleUSA
HomaUSA
FitzpatrickENG
HarmonUSA
ClarkUSA
MorikawaUSA
Tom KimKOR
SpiethUSA
HattonENG
FleetwoodENG
BradleyUSA
StrakaAUT
DayAUS
KoepkaUSA
TheegalaUSA
FinauUSA
BurnsUSA
YoungUSA
FowlerUSA
KirkUSA
ImKOR
HenleyUSA
SmithAUS
ThomasUSA
AbergNOR
GloverUSA
FoxNZ
KitayamaUSA
MW LeeAUS
GrilloARG
McCarthyUSA
EnglishUSA
ConnersCAN
ColeUSA
RoseENG
PostonUSA
LowryIRE
ZalatorisUSA
DavisAUS
SchenkUSA
KimKOR
ScottAUS
HadwinCAN
MeronkPOL
MatsuyamaJAP
N HojgaardDEN
Hun AnKOR
MooreUSA
TaylorUSA
KucharUSA
NorenSWE
SvenssonCAN
MacintyreSCO
ToddUSA
HodgesUSA
HogeUSA
PutnamUSA
HughesCAN
RaiENG
HorschelUSA
NiemannCHI
WallaceENG
SuhUSA
HerbetAUS
PerezFRA
NorrmanSWE
BurmesterSA
SmithENG
HisatsuneJAP
ReedUSA
BjorkSWE
MitchellUSA
LeeKOR
HosslerUSA
OlesenDEN
LawrenceSA
ListUSA
Van RooyenSA
SmalleyUSA
PowerIRE
GoochUSA
DechambeauUSA
JohnsonUSA
PereiraCHI
VarnerUSA
Howell IIIUSA
LahiriIND
MunozCOL
GraceSA
UihleinUSA
GarciaSPA
OrtizMEX
LeishmanAUS
PuigSPA
OosthuizenSA

Now for the Australian Open you could then include the next ten ranked Aussies:

BaddeleyAUS
SmythAUS
ScrivinerAUS
LuckAUS
KennedyAUS
JonesAUS
MicheluzziAUS
EndycottAUS
PercyAUS
GhibsonAUS

Add Australian Open winners from the past 20 years not already qualified:

AncerMEX
SeniorAUS
ChalmersAUS
OgilvyAUS
ClarkSA
ParryAUS
SendenAUS
AllenbyAUS
LeonardAUS

Add Major Champions of the last 10 years not already qualified:

B WatsonUSA
M KaymerGER
Z JohnsonUSA
H StensonSWE
WalkerUSA
WillettENG
MolinariITA
WoodlandUSA

Next might be a couple of Amateur champions:

Australian AmKazuma KoboriNZ
Asia Pacific AmJasper StubbsAUS

Add some all timers on invitation:

WoodsUSA
MickelsonUSA
ElsSA
FurykUSA
SinghFIJI

Then fill out the field with the next ranked guys from the Australasian Region:

NakajimaJAP
HoshinoJAP
SemikawaJAP
KanayaJAP
KimKOR
D HillierNZ
PANCTAI
InamoriJAP
YuanCHI
SharmaIND

Thats 144

Obviously not all would come. So you could fill in gaps with other categories or fill from the next 10 from the region:

BhullarIND
ImahiraJAP
ParkKorea
SongKorea
KhongwatmaiTHA
OtsukiJAP
ZechengCHI
KaewkanjanaTHA
HigaJAP
B CampbellNZ

Tournaments also have sponsors exemptions, winners exemptions, medical exemptions, not to mention limited status for guys who may have finished just outside season OOM. The flexibility needs to be there. So I like the idea of a top 100, but tournaments have the ability to set their own exemptions beyond that point. Much like the majors.

I prefer one big tournament than 2 medium ones.

In tennis, you have different level of tournaments. For example, Adelaide this week is a WTA 500, while Hobart is smaller at 250. Different points,

You need to make it worth while for a pro golfer to come to this country, regardless of money and rank. One event probably doesnt do that. Say, we have a tournament in Sydney the week before, have it as a warm up event. less points and money overall but gives you a chance to qualify for the Melbourne 1000.

Some top top golfers would only be interested in the big one in Melbourne, while those around the 50-150 rank would play Sydney to make it worth while to come down here and a chance to qualify for Melbourne. You could easily have this cycle all over the world to save travel costs and make it regional. Say Sydney would be part of a restructured Euro World Tour or US PGA or similar, like in Tennis, the lower levels are ITF run, with the ATP/WTA only for the top 100(mostly, it depends week on week).

as you can tell, I come from a tennis follower guideline. Tennis does a lot wrong, but its world tour, while imperfect, is the thing Golf should learn from.

Full fields allow for about 144 - 156 (I think), so it does give some flexibility, which I think would be needed and wouldn't detract from the tournament. In fact I think it adds value.

If the top 100 players were selected right now based on world ranking and adjusting to include the top 20 from LIV last year it would look like this:

SchefflerUSA
McIlroyIRE
RahmSPA
HovlandNOR
CantalayUSA
SchauffeleUSA
HomaUSA
FitzpatrickENG
HarmonUSA
ClarkUSA
MorikawaUSA
Tom KimKOR
SpiethUSA
HattonENG
FleetwoodENG
BradleyUSA
StrakaAUT
DayAUS
KoepkaUSA
TheegalaUSA
FinauUSA
BurnsUSA
YoungUSA
FowlerUSA
KirkUSA
ImKOR
HenleyUSA
SmithAUS
ThomasUSA
AbergNOR
GloverUSA
FoxNZ
KitayamaUSA
MW LeeAUS
GrilloARG
McCarthyUSA
EnglishUSA
ConnersCAN
ColeUSA
RoseENG
PostonUSA
LowryIRE
ZalatorisUSA
DavisAUS
SchenkUSA
KimKOR
ScottAUS
HadwinCAN
MeronkPOL
MatsuyamaJAP
N HojgaardDEN
Hun AnKOR
MooreUSA
TaylorUSA
KucharUSA
NorenSWE
SvenssonCAN
MacintyreSCO
ToddUSA
HodgesUSA
HogeUSA
PutnamUSA
HughesCAN
RaiENG
HorschelUSA
NiemannCHI
WallaceENG
SuhUSA
HerbetAUS
PerezFRA
NorrmanSWE
BurmesterSA
SmithENG
HisatsuneJAP
ReedUSA
BjorkSWE
MitchellUSA
LeeKOR
HosslerUSA
OlesenDEN
LawrenceSA
ListUSA
Van RooyenSA
SmalleyUSA
PowerIRE
GoochUSA
DechambeauUSA
JohnsonUSA
PereiraCHI
VarnerUSA
Howell IIIUSA
LahiriIND
MunozCOL
GraceSA
UihleinUSA
GarciaSPA
OrtizMEX
LeishmanAUS
PuigSPA
OosthuizenSA

Now for the Australian Open you could then include the next ten ranked Aussies:

BaddeleyAUS
SmythAUS
ScrivinerAUS
LuckAUS
KennedyAUS
JonesAUS
MicheluzziAUS
EndycottAUS
PercyAUS
GhibsonAUS

Add Australian Open winners from the past 20 years not already qualified:

AncerMEX
SeniorAUS
ChalmersAUS
OgilvyAUS
ClarkSA
ParryAUS
SendenAUS
AllenbyAUS
LeonardAUS

Add Major Champions of the last 10 years not already qualified:

B WatsonUSA
M KaymerGER
Z JohnsonUSA
H StensonSWE
WalkerUSA
WillettENG
MolinariITA
WoodlandUSA

Next might be a couple of Amateur champions:

Australian AmKazuma KoboriNZ
Asia Pacific AmJasper StubbsAUS

Add some all timers on invitation:

WoodsUSA
MickelsonUSA
ElsSA
FurykUSA
SinghFIJI

Then fill out the field with the next ranked guys from the Australasian Region:

NakajimaJAP
HoshinoJAP
SemikawaJAP
KanayaJAP
KimKOR
D HillierNZ
PANCTAI
InamoriJAP
YuanCHI
SharmaIND

Thats 144

Obviously not all would come. So you could fill in gaps with other categories or fill from the next 10 from the region:

BhullarIND
ImahiraJAP
ParkKorea
SongKorea
KhongwatmaiTHA
OtsukiJAP
ZechengCHI
KaewkanjanaTHA
HigaJAP
B CampbellNZ

Tournaments also have sponsors exemptions, winners exemptions, medical exemptions, not to mention limited status for guys who may have finished just outside season OOM. The flexibility needs to be there. So I like the idea of a top 100, but tournaments have the ability to set their own exemptions beyond that point. Much like the majors.

Lots of options for fields - but your open field needs room for qualifiers. It ain’t an open without them.

As Rory pointed out, the PGA Tour still needs US Corporate dollars as its base.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I prefer one big tournament than 2 medium ones.

In tennis, you have different level of tournaments. For example, Adelaide this week is a WTA 500, while Hobart is smaller at 250. Different points,

You need to make it worth while for a pro golfer to come to this country, regardless of money and rank. One event probably doesnt do that. Say, we have a tournament in Sydney the week before, have it as a warm up event. less points and money overall but gives you a chance to qualify for the Melbourne 1000.

Some top top golfers would only be interested in the big one in Melbourne, while those around the 50-150 rank would play Sydney to make it worth while to come down here and a chance to qualify for Melbourne. You could easily have this cycle all over the world to save travel costs and make it regional. Say Sydney would be part of a restructured Euro World Tour or US PGA or similar, like in Tennis, the lower levels are ITF run, with the ATP/WTA only for the top 100(mostly, it depends week on week).

as you can tell, I come from a tennis follower guideline. Tennis does a lot wrong, but its world tour, while imperfect, is the thing Golf should learn from.
Came here to post this.

Take the best 10/15 tournaments from each of the PGA/European Tour plus the Majors and that’s the ‘elite’ tour. The equivalent being the Masters 1000 series events. As golf isn’t as physical, you can have more high level tournaments.

Then you have the ‘challenger’ level tournaments. An amalgamation of the lesser PGA, European, Korn Ferry, Asian tour tournaments.

Came here to post this.

Take the best 10/15 tournaments from each of the PGA/European Tour plus the Majors and that’s the ‘elite’ tour. The equivalent being the Masters 1000 series events. As golf isn’t as physical, you can have more high level tournaments.

Then you have the ‘challenger’ level tournaments. An amalgamation of the lesser PGA, European, Korn Ferry, Asian tour tournaments.

Something like that would be nice - but the Tour still needs most of its tournaments in the States - that’s where the money is. To replace a Travellers/John Deere/RSM, etc., they need a new sponsor willing to pay up as much as they were to have a tournament elsewhere. Not that simple.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's complete fantasy stuff to think that Australia could generate the sponsorship levels required for 2 world tour events (circa $20M per event).

Literally the only sponsors for golf tournaments out here are at present are the governments.

1. Tennis can do it. Global sport, global sponsors.
2. This is what it means to "grow the game". Easy for these clowns to say it but it requires some sacrifice to achieve it. The USA and the PGA need to realise there's a world out there that can grow this game significantly in 10, 20..50 years time.
3. Asia is all but ignored (including Aus). How many Asians are there? (squillions). What happens when China ramps up? India?
4. This how monopolies get attacked. They become arrogant. Jeez if the Saudis can disrupt wait til the Chinese get interested.

It's complete fantasy stuff to think that Australia could generate the sponsorship levels required for 2 world tour events (circa $20M per event).

Literally the only sponsors for golf tournaments out here are at present are the governments.
The Aussie Open could be turned into a big event imo, there are enough good courses and you have the sporting culture to make it attractive.

If it was part of a world tour it could be paired with an event in Asia over two weeks and there would be no reason most of the big names couldn't come to both.

Sookilroy and our now the golden Bear changing their tune in regards to LIV golf, the media should bash the hell out of these guys but nope they just let them off the hook for being knobs for 2 years.
Clearly they are getting close to an agreement, wonder what the hold up was?
Who has the power?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Aussie Open could be turned into a big event imo, there are enough good courses and you have the sporting culture to make it attractive.

If it was part of a world tour it could be paired with an event in Asia over two weeks and there would be no reason most of the big names couldn't come to both.

Agree that it would be no issue having the Aussie open as an elevated event.

Sure. You’ve already given us Sookilroy. What order cutting put downs have you have? Jay “Dunderhead” Monaghan? Tiger “poopy pants” Woods?

Your new contributions are great. I can only claim Sookilroy.
Never seen a sportsman sook more in my life. Such a shame as he is a great golfer.

I don’t think you need 2 x $20 m events. A $10m and $6m or thereabouts would be plenty and allocate extra ranking points……that’s how you attract the talent.
What is the purse for the AO atm?
Aside from the Joker and Tsisipas….no one knows who the rest of other players are, or can pronounce their names….even more so on the women’s side….except for Camilla Georgi who I have a passing 😎 interest in 🍆🍆🍆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back