BigFooty Official 2023 Bigfooty Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

PICKS AND ORDER
Round 1
Pick 1 - West Coast Eagles - Harley Reid
Pick 2 - Gold Coast Suns - Jed Walter (Matched bid) [Picks 24, 26 and 27 used to match, 203 points in the bank for next match]
Pick 3 - North Melbourne - Colby McKercher
Pick 4 - North Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
Pick 5 - Hawthorn - Zane Duursma
Pick 6 - Western Bulldogs - Nick Watson
Pick 7 - Gold Coast Suns - Ethan Read (Matched Bid) [Picks 30 and 34 used, 58 points for next match]
Pick 8 - Melbourne - Nate Caddy
Pick 9 - GWS - Ryley Sanders
Pick 10 - Geelong - Connor O'Sullivan
Pick 11 - Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (Matched Bid) [Picks 46, 48, 50 and 51 used, 101 points for next match]
Pick 12 - Essendon - Caleb Windsor
Pick 13 - Adelaide - Darcy Wilson
Pick 14 - Melbourne - James Leake
Pick 15 - Sydney - Zane Zakostelsky
Pick 16 - St Kilda - Ollie Murphy
Pick 17 - Adelaide - Harry Demattia
Pick 18 - North Melbourne - Mitch Edwards
Pick 19 - Gold Coast Suns - Jake Rogers (Matched Bid) [Picks 36, 60 and 65 used, 45 points for next match]
Pick 20 - GWS - Luamon Lual
Pick 21 - North Melbourne - Arie Schoenmaker
Pick 22 - North Melbourne - Riley Hardeman
Pick 23 - Hawthorn - Will McCabe (Matched bid) [Picks 42 and 45 used, 124 points for next match]
Pick 24 - Collingwood - Archie Roberts
Pick 25 - Adelaide - Taylor Goad
Pick 26 - St Kilda - Lance Collard
Pick 27 - Carlton - Koltyn Tholstrup

Round 2
Pick 28 - West Coast Eagles - Charlie Edwards
Pick 29 - Geelong - Joel Freijah
Pick 30 - Carlton - Ashton Moir
Pick 31 - Richmond - Archer Reid
Pick 32 - Brisbane - Angus Hastie
Pick 33 - Essendon - George Stevens
Pick 34 - Collingwood - Will Green
Pick 35 - Gold Coast Suns - Will Graham (Matched bid) [Pick 65 gobbled up. Deficit of 190 points applied to Gold Coasts 2023 2nd round pick]
Pick 36 - Fremantle - Luke Lloyd
Pick 37 - Hawthorn - Calsher Dear (Matched Bid) [Pick 46 used]
Pick 38 - Essendon - Tew Jiath
Pick 39 - West Coast - Wil Dawson
Pick 40 - Brisbane - Phoenix Gothard
Pick 41 - St Kilda - Harvey Johnston
Pick 42 - Richmond - Koen Sanchez
Pick 43 - Melbourne - Clay Hall
Pick 44 - GWS - Lachie Charleson

Round 3
Pick 45 - Sydney - Caiden Cleary
Pick 46 - Fremantle - Shaun Mannagh
Pick 47 - Brisbane - Cooper Simpson
Pick 48 - Brisbane - Joe Fonti
Pick 49 - Sydney - Jack Delean
Pick 50 - Western Bulldogs - Kane McAuliffe
Pick 51 - North Melbourne - Logan Morris
Pick 52 - West Coast - Will Patton
Pick 53 - GWS - Vigo Visentini
Pick 54 - Fremantle - Sam Clohesy
Pick 55 - Essendon - Michael Rudd
Pick 56 - Hawthorn - Nathan Philactides

Round 4
Pick 57 - Hawthorn - PASS
Pick 58 - Fremantle - Thomas Anastasopoulos
Pick 59 - Richmond - PASS
Pick 60 - Brisbane -PASS
Pick 61 - Richmond - PASS
Pick 62 - Western Bulldogs - Kade De La Rue
Pick 63 - Carlton - Aiden O'Driscoll
Pick 64 - Western Bulldogs - PASS
Pick 65 - Port Adelaide - Jack Callinan
Pick 66 - Western Bulldogs - PASS
Pick 67 - Geelong - Billy Wilson
Pick 68 - GWS - PASS
Pick 69 - Carlton - Sam Van Rooyen
Pick 70 - GWS - PASS
Pick 71 - Collingwood - Will Lorenz

Round to get Port Adelaide to reach the two minimum selections
Pick 72 - Port Adelaide - Tarkyn O'Leary

MINI DRAFT (2024 First Round)
Pick 1 - West Coast Eagles - Jagga Smith
Pick 2 - North Melbourne - Josh Smillie
Pick 3 - Hawthorn - Finn O'Sullivan
Pick 4 - Gold Coast Suns - Sid Draper
Pick 5 - Fremantle - Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane F/S)
Pick 6 - Richmond - Christian Moraes
Pick 7 - Geelong - Tyler Welsh (Adelaide F/S)
Pick 8 - Essendon - Tom Gross
Pick 9 - Adelaide - Sam Lalor
Pick 10 - Gold Coast Suns (From Western Bulldogs) (Pie 4 Life to select) - Leo Lombard (GCS Academy)
Pick 11 - Sydney -
Pick 12 - St Kilda - Archer Day-Wicks
Pick 13 - Melbourne - Kade Herbert
Pick 14 - Fremantle (From Port Adelaide) - Phoenix Hargrave
Pick 15 - GWS - Murphy Reid
Pick 16 - Carlton -
Pick 17 - Brisbane -
Pick 18- Fremantle (From Collingwood) -
Pick 19 - Sydney (From North Melbourne PP) -
Pick 20 - Gold Coast Suns (From North Melbourne PP) -

Last edited:
Pick 42 - Koen Sanchez
Pick 42 - Richmond - Koen Sanchez - 177cm 70 kg - fwd/mid

I’m not going to lie here, there were a couple of players with a potential to have a higher ceiling on the board, but none to my eye that are as solid a pick as Koen here. Over the last few years of watching Koen all I see is Liam Baker 2.0. Is athletic but not the most athletic, goes in hard without shirking a single contest. He will bury in and win his own ball, get clearances after clearances, spread and be damaging outside of the pack and run lines to impact further up the ground and stay in link up play and if there is a turn over he runs hard the other way too and like all little guys he tackles to hurt. Little bugger backs into packs like he is 6 foot 4 and will go all day long. He is a footballers footballer. I say Liam Baker 2.0 because I think his football IQ and ball use is better. Multi positional and rarely, rarely makes a mistake with the ball. I see him as being a player that everyone would love to have on their team and then on top of that, watching his interactions with teammates on the field and the way they get up and about after he has been involved in a play, made a big tackle or kicked a goal, he seems to be looked up to by them. With his excellent ball use and grasp of the basic fundamentals of how the game is played I see leadership qualities in Koen.

up next ModernArtillery for melbourne

Last edited:

Pick 43 - Clay Hall
Pick 43
Melbourne
Clay Hall
Peel Thunder / Western Australia

I think Hall makes sense as a midfield option for the Dees at this point of the draft. I think he has a pretty high floor and will ultimately out-perform his draft position. He's a nice size, is a good runner and wins a nice balance of contested and uncontested footy. He's capable of applying himself defensively and can finish tackles, so I think there's enough to work with. I think it's fair to say his kicking is a little suspect, but I don't think it's broken. I'm projecting is use gets to a satisfactory level without ever being a weapon for him.

PMBangers

Last edited:
Yeah didn’t think he would make it to my last pick, was very close if Stevens wasn’t available

Stevens and Hall will be interesting to follow post draft. They're very similar players and the longer I've watched junior football, the harder I've found to rate bull inside midfielders. Unless they stand out like Tom Green, then you have a heap of so/so players often. Hately, Brodie....

I'm slightly concerned that Stevens and Hall will struggle at AFL level unless they can add another string to their bow, plenty of teams only have room for 2 players in their starting 22.

I know with Carlton it was Cripps/Hewett/Kennedy/Dow they were all fighting for the two spots and you struggle to have more than 2 playing.

Stevens and Hall will be interesting to follow post draft. They're very similar players and the longer I've watched junior football, the harder I've found to rate bull inside midfielders. Unless they stand out like Tom Green, then you have a heap of so/so players often. Hately, Brodie....

I'm slightly concerned that Stevens and Hall will struggle at AFL level unless they can add another string to their bow, plenty of teams only have room for 2 players in their starting 22.

I know with Carlton it was Cripps/Hewett/Kennedy/Dow they were all fighting for the two spots and you struggle to have more than 2 playing.
Hall is a fair bit quicker than Stevens isn't he? Better hands in tight but Stevens a better kick in general?

I probably don't see them being all that similar to be honest. I think you're 100% right that Stevens is that strong inside bull, but I think Hall has a more inside/outside balance to his game. Hall's a great runner and so there's plenty of scope for him to develop as an outside accumulator at AFL level. Stevens I see winning most of his footy on the inside.

I probably don't see them being all that similar to be honest. I think you're 100% right that Stevens is that strong inside bull, but I think Hall has a more inside/outside balance to his game. Hall's a great runner and so there's plenty of scope for him to develop as an outside accumulator at AFL level. Stevens I see winning most of his footy on the inside.

I've not completely rated all my players, but Hall tempts me so much, then I check myself. I love Hall's inside work, maybe I should pay more attention to his outside work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Hall too. His kicking needs some work but if he gets that right I think he's got a future at AFL level.
How many players can you name that have improved from a poor to average kick at U18 to a decent kick? It normally goes the other way as the pace and pressure intensifies

How many players can you name that have improved from a poor to average kick at U18 to a decent kick? It normally goes the other way as the pace and pressure intensifies
In the case of Hall, I don't think his kick is broken. So I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation to think that after a few years in the AFL system he could become a bit more consistent by foot. Especially if he wins more of it on the outside. You're right in pointing out that it's not a given, but I don't think we can rule it out completely either.

Pick 33 - Essendon - George Stevens
189cm - Midfielder/Defender

Just about the least Essendon style pick you could get, a big bodied midfielder? Perposterous! But this is exactly why he should be under consideration.

Essendon has long avoided bigger midfielders and Stevens will certainly add that point of difference on the list and although his size and mobility is certainly something clubs have avoided in recent drafts it’s hard to ignore his body of work and fantastic character traits and leadership which is an area Essendon could always bolster.

Stevens kicking composure at stoppages could use some work but his kicking outside the contest is sublime and could be a real asset even if he isn’t doing the inside grunt work, a player who did an ACL and didn’t get to complete a full pre-season my hope is that he will be even fitter and more dangerous next year with the full year of playing he has had this year on top of that.
Is Stevens this years Luke Parker?

Pick 44 - Lachie Charlson
Pick 44 - GWS - Lachlan Charlson

Lachlan-Charleson-VC-U18-trails.jpg

177 cm 74 kg
Small Forward/ Midfielder

STRENGTHS:
  • Defensive pressure
  • Ground level game
  • Intensity
  • Speed
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Consistency
  • Conversion

One of the best pressure forwards in this year's draft pool, Lachlan Charleson has traits that aren’t too dissimilar to West Coast's Noah Long. The pair share share a similar path as primarily inside midfielders that developed as small forwards in their top-aged seasons. Charleson approaches the footy inside 50 like he’s at a stoppage, hitting the ball at 100 per cent when it hits the deck and happily taking out any opponent in his way before looking to quickly dish the ball off. Celebrating big and getting under his opponents' skin is another trademark Charleson trait.

He has developed rapidly as a forward, kicking 17 of his 24 Talent League goals for the season in his final five games with less rotation into the midfield, able to show his ability as a marking option as well. His best effort was a bag of eight against Bendigo Pioneers in Round 16. Whilst a goal kicking return of 24.14 reads quite nicely, Charleson may look to refine his set shot routine to maximize his opportunities in front of the sticks, while also building some consistency when playing at higher levels given his impact reduced when playing for Vic Country this year.

----
This was a really hard pick given there's still some pretty good quality left on the board imo, but having already taken a defender I ruled Bodie Ryan, Oscar Ryan and Geordie Payne out, and did the same for the pure midfielders left I have in this region because of the Sanders selection. SO it then became a choice between Callinan, Delean, Charlson and Ry Cantwell, all would be good picks in this area but Charlson's strength with his a) defensive pressure b) contested game and c) athletcism made him the choice. I think Charlson has all the makings of a pretty consistent best 23 player at the next level, and has traits that suit the role requirements of modern small forwards with his work in the defensive phase of the game, and, for GWS at least, an ability to role through centre bounces as a bit of a point of difference.

I was really tempted by Cantwell, it essentially came down to a coin flip, but as mentioned the contested nature of Charlson made him appeal slightly more

Ysaye up with Swans

Pick 44 - GWS - Lachlan Charlson

View attachment 1845245

177 cm 74 kg
Small Forward/ Midfielder

STRENGTHS:
  • Defensive pressure
  • Ground level game
  • Intensity
  • Speed
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Consistency
  • Conversion

One of the best pressure forwards in this year's draft pool, Lachlan Charleson has traits that aren’t too dissimilar to West Coast's Noah Long. The pair share share a similar path as primarily inside midfielders that developed as small forwards in their top-aged seasons. Charleson approaches the footy inside 50 like he’s at a stoppage, hitting the ball at 100 per cent when it hits the deck and happily taking out any opponent in his way before looking to quickly dish the ball off. Celebrating big and getting under his opponents' skin is another trademark Charleson trait.

He has developed rapidly as a forward, kicking 17 of his 24 Talent League goals for the season in his final five games with less rotation into the midfield, able to show his ability as a marking option as well. His best effort was a bag of eight against Bendigo Pioneers in Round 16. Whilst a goal kicking return of 24.14 reads quite nicely, Charleson may look to refine his set shot routine to maximize his opportunities in front of the sticks, while also building some consistency when playing at higher levels given his impact reduced when playing for Vic Country this year.

----
This was a really hard pick given there's still some pretty good quality left on the board imo, but having already taken a defender I ruled Bodie Ryan, Oscar Ryan and Geordie Payne out, and did the same for the pure midfielders left I have in this region because of the Sanders selection. SO it then became a choice between Callinan, Delean, Charlson and Ry Cantwell, all would be good picks in this area but Charlson's strength with his a) defensive pressure b) contested game and c) athletcism made him the choice. I think Charlson has all the makings of a pretty consistent best 23 player at the next level, and has traits that suit the role requirements of modern small forwards with his work in the defensive phase of the game, and, for GWS at least, an ability to role through centre bounces as a bit of a point of difference.

I was really tempted by Cantwell, it essentially came down to a coin flip, but as mentioned the contested nature of Charlson made him appeal slightly more

Ysaye up with Swans
Quality pick here, really like him.

Would have taken stevens or hall but i dont mind this pick.

It kinda sucked. I was hoping for Charlie Edwards or Tholstrup to fall through but both were picked up just before. Freijah I rate a tier above Stevens/Hall so I had to pull the trigger. At least your wings will be set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back