Traded Brandon Zerk-Thatcher [Traded to Port Adelaide in Duursma & Picks Swap]

Remove this Banner Ad

On the one hand it would be pretty silly of us to do that if he would rather walk than sign a contract with us. But on the other hand if you walk to the draft you should be prepared to play for any club.

I don’t see why he would walk to the draft if his soul intention is to return home.
I suppose its all part of the bluff if Essendon genuinely don't want him to go and relay that they would happily redraft him in the PSD - it cuts off that angle and then its the national draft or more preferable, a trade before COB Wednesday

I suppose its all part of the bluff if Essendon genuinely don't want him to go and relay that they would happily redraft him in the PSD - it cuts off that angle and then its the national draft or more preferable, a trade before COB Wednesday

I’d take him in the National draft too, Port won’t have a pick ahead of our second after the Esava deal.

If BZT had 1 year on his contract and Duursma was out of contract there's no way in he'll would Essendon accept a straight swap so why should Port
It's swapping a need for something you don't need. Zerk Thatcher ranked higher stat wise by position.

Can swap future 3rds. Think bombers will throw in something useless so port looks like Essendon gave port more

I’d take him in the National draft too, Port won’t have a pick ahead of our second after the Esava deal.
Without lending my anti port bias here - why not sweeten the deal slightly for maybe 24 and a 3rd rounder just to get Ratugolea done. The work out whats left and how to get BZT (maybe look to do pick trade with whats at hand to get in ahead of Essendon?) and it may open up more possibilities around the drafts if a deal can't get done

It might pay to slightly overpay on one deal to unlock the others if they are stalled

Cant see it ending up like that.

but why take a player that has just walked out on you? That is a recipe for disaster. What’s to stop it happening again? And then Essendon blow a pick in the draft.

the afl is so weird in the sense that when you finish your contract of employment, your former employer can restrict were you work next for s “fee”. no other professional sport has that.

Cant see it ending up like that.

but why take a player that has just walked out on you? That is a recipe for disaster. What’s to stop it happening again? And then Essendon blow a pick in the draft.

the afl is so weird in the sense that when you finish your contract of employment, your former employer can restrict were you work next for s “fee”. no other professional sport has that.

How many other sports run a tight cap and an equalisation model like ours?

Also, if clubs target players it’s on them to get the deal done. Perhaps don’t sell a player a dream then fail to turn up and pay the entry fee…

Last edited:
Without lending my anti port bias here - why not sweeten the deal slightly for maybe 24 and a 3rd rounder just to get Ratugolea done. The work out whats left and how to get BZT (maybe look to do pick trade with whats at hand to get in ahead of Essendon?) and it may open up more possibilities around the drafts if a deal can't get done

It might pay to slightly overpay on one deal to unlock the others if they are stalled

I tell you what would be a whole lot easier for everyone:

Esava for Pick 25
BZT for Duursma

Done. Simple. Move on.

If BZT had 1 year on his contract and Duursma was out of contract there's no way in he'll would Essendon accept a straight swap so why should Port

Both players have new contracts in front of them from teams hoping they are on their list next season.

These players have agreed to these contracts in principle so the value of those contracts are the real value of these players to each club and not this 1 year vs RFA posturing.

It’s a pretty easy player for player swap. This draft pick posturing is all kind of pointless

Port will roll the dice on one of the two, might be a game of brinkmanship between Essendon and Geelong to see which of their players ends up in the ND stating their contract terms. Rat or BZT?

Fascinating watch

Both players have new contracts in front of them from teams hoping they are on their list next season.

These players have agreed to these contracts in principle so the value of those contracts are the real value of these players to each club and not this 1 year vs RFA posturing.

It’s a pretty easy player for player swap. This draft pick posturing is all kind of pointless
Except 1 player is under a current contract. So the value of proposed contract is almost irrelevant if the club wants to hold them to it.

an equalisation model in tittle only. FS and academy picks should be scrapped. The draft is the only mechanism that allows the equalisation, and thats pretty corrupted.

Salary cap, football department cap, shared revenue, FA compensation, fixture based on prior year finish, the list goes on. There are countless equalisation measures in place, not just the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay then, hold Duursma to contract. Now, what are you offering us for BZT?
No idea, not a list manager.
If port wanted him they would pick him in their best 22 most weeks and not encourage him to explore his options
He was best 22. Games missed were due injury.

Never said they didn’t indicate to Duursma to investigate options if he wasn’t happy. Just that he was under contract and Port don’t have to trade him.

in most industries, contracts actually mean something.

No idea, not a list manager.

He was best 22. Games missed were due injury.

Never said they didn’t indicate to Duursma to investigate options if he wasn’t happy. Just that he was under contract and Port don’t have to trade him.

in most industries, contracts actually mean something.
You can attribute a value to his contract if you like, but it seems Port don’t, and suspect Essendon is doing all parties a favour if he gets to us. Don’t think it will be fun for him or port if he stays.

If we were chasing a player from you that we saw as a need and committed a 4 year deal to them, and then a player for us that was fringe 22 and had stagnated for a few years asked to be traded to you on a 4 year deal we'd absolutely do it.

Goodness me, the amount of bed wetting on both sides in this thread by the armchair negotiation experts is wild.

You watch, the clubs will meet in the middle somewhere and get a deal done before the deadline. Both supporter bases will be mildly pissed off with the final result, and that will be the sign of a fairly balanced trade.

Until then, everybody chill - it’s BZT and Duursma, not peak Jakovich and Judd

Goodness me, the amount of bed wetting on both sides in this thread by the armchair negotiation experts is wild.

You watch, the clubs will meet in the middle somewhere and get a deal done before the deadline. Both supporter bases will be mildly pissed off with the final result, and that will be the sign of a fairly balanced trade.

Until then, everybody chill - it’s BZT and Duursma, not peak Jakovich and Judd
Yup, it's already into the haggling over late picks swap stage.

How many other sports run a tight cap and an equalisation model like ours?

Also, if clubs target players it’s on them to get the deal done. Perhaps don’t sell a player a dream then fail to turn up and pay the entry fee…
So you would have paid what the Dogs wanted for Dunkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back