Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. There are a few words they seem to have decided are now outlawed:

Pass: is now universally replaced as "ball". No matter what context.
Distance: for some time has been replaced with "journey".
Time: also replaced with "journey" (as in 'over the ...'), instead of just 'in the last few years', 'over time', etc.
Mark: is on its way out. The appalling "clunk" is getting rammed down our throats relentlessly.

Another one that seems set now - apparently players never, ever kick with the instep (which 100% of footballers always kicked with). It's the outside of the boot now (even though it's the outside of the ball that is actually being kicked).

Thank you.

And what the hell is a drop zone?

And don't players ACTUALLY mark it with a hand's highest point?

Horror Cant Believe It GIF by Gerbert!

My eyes!
The goggles do nothing!

I heard a promo on Triple M this arvo for one of their shows and it had Peter Daicos explaining the phenomenon of him and his two sons, "I tell people I'm the original and those two are the prototypes" :drunk:
f*** this is the problem with footballers who are guns.
If they couldn't catch and kick the Sherrin they'd be homeless

'Marked the ball at its highest point'.

Impressive to mark the ball 20 metres in the air.
This, and 'forward of the ball', as in, "He does a lot of damage forward of the ball." I mean, what are you saying? Does this player take out opponents in anticipation of the ball arriving? I remember Barry Hall did that once and it was generally frowned upon.

Sadly, I hear this one often from John Longmire.

Paul Hasleby, SEN: "They seem to always know where each other is aren't they?..." :huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the best mate of the St Kilda convicted sex offender reckons a team has to find a ‘happy medium’.

Clearly never studied mathematics in Year 10…..where Medians and Averages are explained…..or even his driving licence test…..

Last edited:
I was told not to use Jobe Watson's contributions here as the thread would probably OD on the volume. So this was placed carefully in the Jobeism thread where it has sat for the last 12 hours, without a single like.

I genuinely believe this needs a wider audience. And once you have witnessed the unadulterated anti-genius of it, I hope you will agree and accept it's entry here. Apologies for the self quote:

Referring to the Bulldogs kicking into the forward line Jobe offers that "if they're going to play down the line, Tom Stewart is just going to eat their lunch all day."

SEN caller 30 mins ago.

’Sick and tired of following the Bulldogs, such a ‘medi-OCRA’ team’….🤦‍♂️
:'( wasn't me...

On another note completely, the number of people who I would have thought were well-educated but don't understand that PHENOMENA is plural, and PHENOMENON is singular.

I saw no Saturday footy due to work commitments.
Watched an online highlight of the Joe D miss from goal square the Fox News commentator pronounced his surname Danahear or here if you like.
Just shook my head and laughed.

Max Gawn in the shaver ad: “There’s somethink I’ve always wondered…”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back