Stats observations

Remove this Banner Ad

In the round just completed, Sydney lost with a score of 16.10 (106) to GWS 17.5 (107), and Essendon lost with a score of 16.8 (104) to Geelong 20.12 (132).
The last time there were two century-losing scores in the same round was in round 20, 2018 when Essendon lost 16.7 (103) to Hawthorn 16.11 (107) and Brisbane Lions lost 16.8 (104) to North Melbourne 16.11 (107).

To find the last time there were three century-losing scores in the same round we need to travel back just a tad further to round 15 of 2018 when Geelong, Melbourne and North Melbourne all posted triple-figure scores and lost.

I read a stat that Carlton have won five matches by 100+ pts since 2000.

The incredible thing here is they lost all five matches the week after.

I recall the Bulldogs beating them in 2000 (ending their 13 game win streak) the week after the Blues beat the Pies by over 100 pts. Pretty sure that was the game Simon Beaumont was moved forward and kicked eight goals.

I read a stat that Carlton have won five matches by 100+ pts since 2000.

The incredible thing here is they lost all five matches the week after.

I recall the Bulldogs beating them in 2000 (ending their 13 game win streak) the week after the Blues beat the Pies by over 100 pts. Pretty sure that was the game Simon Beaumont was moved forward and kicked eight goals.
That is quite remarkable! The Bulldogs also beat the Blues in 2011 the week after they'd won by 100+ points. Simon Beaumont kicked 3 in that 2000 game. His "big day out" against the Pies came in 1999.

I became curious to see whether I could discover which player had made the most bounces during a passage of play, which occurs usually when a player goes on a long run and then has a shot on goal. Via YouTube I found three instances of players having seven bounces. The most bounces I discovered were:

7 Michael Mitchell, Richmond vs Sydney, round 22, 1990, SCG (kicked a goal)
7 Mick McGuane, Collingwood vs Carlton, round 2, 1994, MCG (goal)
7 Brent Harvey, North Melbourne vs West Coast, round 3, 2010, Docklands (behind: hit the post)
5 Daniel Kerr, West Coast vs Fremantle, round 22, 2003, Subiaco (goal)
5 Stephen Hill, Fremantle vs Geelong, 2nd qualifying final 2013, Kardinia Park (goal)

One thing I noticed was that many famous long-running goals occurred during the fourth quarter. Of the above all except McGuane (second quarter) occurred during the fourth. Other long-running goals I looked at were:

4 bounces Ray Gabelich, Collingwood vs Melbourne, grand final, 1964, MCG (4th quarter)
4 bounces Phil Manassa, Collingwood vs North Melbourne, grand final replay, 1977, MCG (4th quarter)
4 bounces Michael Long, Essendon vs Carlton, grand final, 1993, MCG (1st quarter)
3 bounces David Twomey, Collingwood vs North Melbourne, round 9, 1981, Arden Street (3rd quarter)
3 bounces Lance Franklin, Hawthorn vs Essendon, round 13, 2010, MCG (4th quarter)
3 bounces Lewis Jetta, Sydney vs Collingwood, 2nd preliminary final, 2012, Stadium Australia (1st quarter)
3 bounces Matt White, Port Adelaide vs Richmond, round 17, 2014, Docklands (4th quarter)

I became curious to see whether I could discover which player had made the most bounces during a passage of play, which occurs usually when a player goes on a long run and then has a shot on goal. Via YouTube I found three instances of players having seven bounces. The most bounces I discovered were:

7 Brent Harvey, North Melbourne vs West Coast, round 3, 2010, Docklands (behind: hit the post)
5 Stephen Hill, Fremantle vs Geelong, 2nd qualifying final 2013, Kardinia Park (goal)

One thing I noticed was that many famous long-running goals occurred during the fourth quarter. Of the above all except McGuane (second quarter) occurred during the fourth. Other long-running goals I looked at were:

4 bounces Ray Gabelich, Collingwood vs Melbourne, grand final, 1964, MCG (4th quarter)
4 bounces Phil Manassa, Collingwood vs North Melbourne, grand final replay, 1977, MCG (4th quarter)
4 bounces Michael Long, Essendon vs Carlton, grand final, 1993, MCG (1st quarter)
3 bounces David Twomey, Collingwood vs North Melbourne, round 9, 1981, Arden Street (3rd quarter)
3 bounces Lance Franklin, Hawthorn vs Essendon, round 13, 2010, MCG (4th quarter)
3 bounces Lewis Jetta, Sydney vs Collingwood, 2nd preliminary final, 2012, Stadium Australia (1st quarter)
3 bounces Matt White, Port Adelaide vs Richmond, round 17, 2014, Docklands (4th quarter)
Robbie Ahmat had 3 bounces against North Melbourne in 2000

He gained an extra 20 metres when he tapped the ball forward after the third bounce, could've been 4.

An observation but also a question:

2016 finals were contested between:

Bulldogs, Sydney, GWS, Geelong, Hawthorn, Adelaide, West Coast, North Melbourne.

Four of those teams currently occupy the bottom four ladder positions (GWS, Hawthorn, NM, WCE). Sydney are currently 12th. Despite all starting the season with an 0-2 record, the Bulldogs, Cats and Crows occupy positions 6th through to 8th.

Since the introduction of the Final 8 in 1994, what is the most amount of finalists from any one season to have missed finals in another season?

I hope that question makes sense.

The odds of all finalists from any one season all missing finals in any other given season would be astronomical. I'd be surprised if there were six finalists from any given season to have missed finals in any other season since the final eight was introduced. Therefore, we could likely see this achieved this season.

Despite a lot of commentary saying Geelong has never lost 4 in a row under Chris Scott, sadly they have once, although it's over two seasons.

Straight sets exits to the Hawks and North in the 2014 finals was followed up with defeats in Rd's 1 and 2 the following year against Hawthorn and Fremantle. So four successive losses did happen. The last season Geelong was 5-6 after 11 rounds was 2006.

This observation would be one the late and great Ron the Bear would know, but stumbling upon Essendon's Rd 10 2015 game against Geelong, it's quite a strange team list name-wise in terms of the alphabetic spread of names.

Zach Merrett was the 21st listed player in alphabetical order, and the only person with a surname N-Z was Brent Stanton, with Jobe Watson not playing this particular game.

Wouldn't think many other team lists would have 21 of 22 players encompassing the first half of the alphabet in modern times!

This observation would be one the late and great Ron the Bear would know, but stumbling upon Essendon's Rd 10 2015 game against Geelong, it's quite a strange team list name-wise in terms of the alphabetic spread of names.

Zach Merrett was the 21st listed player in alphabetical order, and the only person with a surname N-Z was Brent Stanton, with Jobe Watson not playing this particular game.

Wouldn't think many other team lists would have 21 of 22 players encompassing the first half of the alphabet in modern times!

Almost something similar...last round of 1994, Brisbane had 19 of 21 players surname starting A - M, only Chris Scott and Michael Voss from rest of alphabet.

Since the introduction of the Final 8 in 1994, what is the most amount of finalists from any one season to have missed finals in another season?

I hope that question makes sense.

The odds of all finalists from any one season all missing finals in any other given season would be astronomical. I'd be surprised if there were six finalists from any given season to have missed finals in any other season since the final eight was introduced. Therefore, we could likely see this achieved this season.

The record is seven, achieved twice. The closest interval is remarkably only 8 years, between 2002 (Port, Bris, Adel, Coll, Ess, Melb, NM, WCE) and 2010 (Coll, Geel, StK, WB, Syd, Freo, Haw, Carl).

The other is 1998 to 2013, where only Sydney appeared in both finals series and Essendon would have been the second team, but were excluded from the 2013 finals.

As you noted, only two of 2016's finalists are currently in the eight. There's only one of 2015's finalists though (Bulldogs), and that would equal the interval of 8 years if it holds.

Woewoddin 5 here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two scoring shots combined in one quarter of footy tonight.

When was the last time there were just two or less scoring shots in a quarter?

Looks to me like it was two scoring shots in second quarter of Rnd 10, 1968 St Kilda v Carlton (0.1 each)
The AFL Tables website has some interesting lists relating to that sort of question

Seems that's only when 2 behinds have been scored in a quarter. That leaves open the 1.0-0.1, 1.0-1.0 or 2.0-0.0 quarter
I recall that extremely wet game with Geelong vs North Rd 13 1980 at Kardinia Park, Geelong scored 2.0.12 to zilch in the last quarter. Indeed North failed to score after the 9 minute mark of the second quarter, and Geelong managed to kick 6.0.36 in the 3rd, and 2.0.12 in the last.

Two scoring shots combined in one quarter of footy tonight.

When was the last time there were just two or less scoring shots in a quarter?
It has happened in quite recent times:

2020 Rd. 8:
1686299307464.png
3rd quarter - aggregate 2 scoring shots.

This one occurred only a few weeks earlier:- 2020 Rd. 4:
1686299561331.png

Prior to that:- 2004 Rd. 20:
1686299800507.png
4th quarter - aggregate 1 scoring shot.

92 times (prior to last night's game) there have been games with 0, 1 or 2 aggregate scoring shots in a quarter.

It has happened in quite recent times:

2020 Rd. 8:
View attachment 1708163

This one occurred only a few weeks earlier:- 2020 Rd. 4:
View attachment 1708168

Prior to that:- 2004 Rd. 20:
View attachment 1708169
4th quarter - aggregate 1 scoring shot.

92 times (prior to last night's game) there have been games with 0, 1 or 2 aggregate scoring shots in a quarter.
Wouldn't count 2020 because of 16 minute quarter, so will gladly take the 2004 game.
And one scoring shot too, bloody hell.

West Coast just kicked the same score in every quarter (2.1) against Adelaide (who themselves went oh so close to kicking the same number of goals each quarter - 7,7,7,6). How many times have a team kicked exactly the same score in all 4 quarters?
I think Port in 2010 did that in a game where they scored 5.3.33 every quarter to register a score of 20.12.132. If West Coast did that they may be only the second to ever do that. I'm pretty sure Port's effort was the first time ever.

I was curious about what was the biggest gap between player debuts that played with the same player. Dustin Fletcher played with Tim Watson who debuted on the 14th of May 1977 and Liam McBean and Connor Menadue who both debuted on the 17th of May 2015. A gap of 13,883 days or 38 years and 4 days, could anyone think of a longer gap?

The Bulldogs play their first Sunday match this week.

13 games to begin the season without a Sunday match. I can't imagine that having occurred too many times since Sunday became a regular part of fixturing.

I really wish that St Kilda had kicked straighter and beaten Geelong in a tight game at Waverley in Round 4 1983 rather than the Cats winning by 11 points as was the case.

Why would I care so much about an inconsequential game between two non-finalists neither of which I support played over 40 years ago? Because if the Saints had won this game rather than the Cats, then we would have had a perfectly symmetrical ladder top to bottom.

This was the actual 1983 VFL ladder:

1. North Melbourne 16-6
2. Hawthorn 15-7
3. Fitzroy 15-7
4. Essendon 15-7
5. Carlton 13-9
6. Collingwood 12-10
7. Footscray 10-12
8. Melbourne 9-13
9. Geelong 8-14
10. Richmond 7-15
11. Sydney 7-15
12. St Kilda 5-17

If St Kilda had beaten Geelong in Round 4, the only ladder position change would have been between Richmond and Geelong, with the Tigers 9th and the Cats 10th, but this would have been the final ladder for 1983:

1. North Melbourne 16-6
2. Hawthorn 15-7
3. Fitzroy 15-7
4. Essendon 15-7
5. Carlton 13-9
6. Collingwood 12-10
7. Footscray 10-12
8. Melbourne 9-13
9. Richmond 7-15
10. Geelong 7-15
11. Sydney 7-15
12. St Kilda 6-16

As it is, the only symmetrical ladder I can find in high level football is the 1988 VFA First Division season.

While a number of margins of 100 points or more have never come up in AFL/VFL history the lowest being 136-points, today the margin that had been previously achieved but which hadn't come up for the second longest time of 104 years occurred when the Sydney Swans demolished the West Coast Eagles by 171-points at the SCG. Coincidentally it was also the Swans that won the previous match by 171-points, South Melbourne thrashing St Kilda by 171-points at the Lake Oval in 1919.

The margin that hasn't come up again for the longest time still stands at 124-years, and this was 161-points in the infamous last round match in 1899 where Geelong thrashed St Kilda 23.24-162 to 0.1-1, where the Saints amazingly scored the first point against the Cats.

Today's poor performance by the Eagles also puts them into an unwanted club; sides that have lost matches by 170-points or more. Before today the only members were Melbourne which lost to Fitzroy by 190-points in 1979 and Geelong by 186-points in 2011, and St Kilda which were thrashed by 178-points by Collingwood in 1978 and by 171-points to South Melbourne in the 1919 game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back