VFL Carlton Reserves 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

FoVPEbfaIAEIURq

A Friday night clash to start the season against Geelong

The younger brother of Hugh McCluggage is training with the VFL team

A quick breakdown of Carlton's 2023 VFL fixture.

• First VFL match in the new redevelopment in round 1.
  • 3 interstate trips, 2 to NSW.
  • League high 4 Friday matches.
  • 2 AFL curtain raisers.
  • 2 VFLW doubles.
  • They won't play Southport and Box Hill.

Fixture Analysis (2).png

Here's also an article from Brendan Rhodes if you are interested in how it ranks up against other teams.

VFL practice matches:

Sydney v Carlton Reserves

Friday 3 March @ 3pm
Blacktown International Sports Park

Carlton Reserves v Port Melbourne

Thursday 9 March @ 7:30PM
IKON Park

Richmond VFL v Carlton Reserves

Thursday 16 March @ 4PM
Swinburne Centre

VFL Squad for tomorrow starting 2.00PM

*AFL listed players

1 Zavier Maher

2 Paddy Dow*

3 Edward Cahill

4 Lochie O’Brien*

7 Matthew Kennedy*

8 Ben Ronke

9 Hayden Gill

10 Lachlan Swaney

16 Jack Carroll*

17 Brodie Kemp*

18 Mitchell Moschetti

20 Lachie Plowman*

21 Heath Ramshaw

22 Jed Brereton

23 Sam Grant

24 Archie Stevens

26 Patrick Dozzi

27 Marc Pittonet*

28 Aidan Mills

29 Hamish Sunnitt

30 Michael Lewis

32 Jaxon Binns*

34 Will White

36 Josh Honey*

38 Sam Durdin*

39 Alex Cincotta*

40 Hudson O'Keeffe*

41 Dom Akuei*

43 Ethan Bentley

44 Jack Lefroy

45 Alex Mirkov*

46 Logan Prout

Great to see the turnaround in our list makeup.

Not only added Lemmey and athletic ruck O’Keeffe, but also Jed Brereton who also was an underage ruckman and 204cm swingman Sam Grant who was thought to be a key defender first, but did hit the scoreboard on Friday as did Brereton.
And all 4 hit the scoreboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the likes of Brereton and Grant aren't used as pure top ups and get a run each week
Both of them looked really good last Friday - as did all of the kids out there....they had a fair dinkum red hot crack!!

You could see just from the highlights the class and skill of my man Ned Cahill though, dominant in the forward half carrying on from his 2022 form - only just turned 22 - get him on the rookie list Nicky boy :thumbsu:

Speaking of which, all of the list management team were there watching the entire VFL game - they were sitting just a few rows in front of me in the old Gardiner Stand that's just about ready to fall down.

I liked Grant as a late/rookie pick in the draft, even with Lemmey being acquired. Although, happy with Huddo too
Grant defender first reportedly and 204cm.

Absolutely loved the glimpses of Huddo, his pace is something to behold. Lemmey with a bit of ruck work in the forward half too. The dynamic is changing up.

I sorta think VFL should be U23 with a few extras. How that would work with the standalones though, dunno.
Not while it is the AFL reserves. Going to be a variety of team dynamics.

I do understand the concept of an underage team with three or four “mentors”. Just doesn’t fit the model.

Last edited:
Not while it is the AFL reserves. Going to be a variety of team dynamics.

I do understand the concept of an underage team with three or four “mentors”. Just doesn’t fit the model.
Oh, yes - meant that as a given. Just the non-listed players should be U23, with a limited number of older players. Then link the draft to the VFL program (and WAFL/SANFL...) I think a lot of kids miss out on their draft year, and are either discouraged or forgotten. Think there's gotta be a better way - esp. for the young talls (e.g. O'Keeffe, Brereton etc.)

Matt Shannon is officially confirmed to be gone. He has signed for Southport.

Thank you for the updates, mate.

The club (and the entire league, really) is hopeless with this sort of stuff so your contributions and updates are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the updates, mate.

The club (and the entire league, really) is hopeless with this sort of stuff so your contributions and updates are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, I try. Hoping to send out a full list update in the next week for you guys. Just been a tad busy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back