#21 Leek Aleer (Pick 15, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

So.... What's all your thoughts on him giants fans?

I think he had a solid 1st season. Does remind me of Allir at Port Adelaide. Similar skills set and confidence too.

I do live in SA and did see some games when he played for Central Districts at Elizabeth oval.

I knew he was gonna be drafted. I didn't expect him to be taken at a 1st rounder

Could have traded back and got him. He is ok so far, I don't doubt he will make it, but we will have to wait and see.

So.... What's all your thoughts on him giants fans?

I think he had a solid 1st season. Does remind me of Allir at Port Adelaide. Similar skills set and confidence too.

I do live in SA and did see some games when he played for Central Districts at Elizabeth oval.

I knew he was gonna be drafted. I didn't expect him to be taken at a 1st rounder
Only 4 games, first one was a bit rocky, but the last 3 I thought he was pretty solid. Another pre-season, some confidence, and hopefully GWS having a better midfield and less balls coming into D50 from everywhere to consolidate when he gets a first grade run. Will be interesting to see who's chosen to stand along side Sam Taylor in the early season games - second KPD from Himmelberg, Davis, Buckley or Aleer, with the other option between Lek as the third/intercepting tall instead of Nick Haynes, should his lack of form carry through into 2023. He may need to wait for an injury initially in 2023, but I think he'll end up a regular best 22 either by end of next year or 2024.

'Pretty surreal': Stand-in Giant still buzzing after late heroics​

Toby Greene kicked the go-ahead goal against Geelong but it was stand-in defender Leek Aleer who really made his mark in the final minutes.

GREATER Western Sydney defender Leek Aleer waited patiently for his chance to shine on the big stage, and now he has literally grabbed it with both hands. The 22-year-old's stunning intercept marks in the dying moments helped the Giants snap their three-game losing streak in a thrilling four-point win over Geelong at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday night.

Giants captain Toby Greene had pulled off a stunning right-foot snap to snatch the lead but the Cats continued to surge with more than seven minutes remaining. It was Aleer, a stand-in for injured defender Jack Buckley, who emerged as the match-winner in just his seventh appearance at senior level. After picking off Tom Stewart's long bomb inside-50, the lanky defender silenced the Geelong crowd when he launched over Tyson Stengle and Tom Hawkins to pull off another spectacular mark with just one minute left to play.

"I've watched it a lot. It's pretty surreal," Aleer said on Monday, having become an overnight football celebrity. "I've been pretty patient waiting for an opportunity. I'm just glad I was able to take it with two hands. To be part of a big moment of the game like that means a lot to me because it means a lot to the club. A couple of Geelong supporters who I'm mates with back home weren't too happy."

Going for a spoil would have been the safer choice for any defender in that situation, but Aleer was unwilling to let the Cats score again off one of his soft-drops. The South Australian had gifted Stengle his second major of the night and allowed Geelong to level the scores after failing to secure a mark earlier in the final term. "Spoiling did cross my mind but I knew if I spoiled it, it was just going to come back," Aleer said. "I was pretty filthy. To see Geelong score off the back of my mistake, I just wanted to attack the footy, continue attacking the footy. Taking a mark felt like the right decision at the time. With that last play, I just wanted to help the team win."

more in the story

Remove this Banner Ad

Back