Delisted #36: Garrett McDonagh - Delisted, thank you for your service - 23/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Why didn’t he play today? Was he the travelling emergency?

I don’t really buy into any of the above discussion about him being ‘too old’, think it represents a selection on attributes and not being tempted by stats or something nice and shiny.

He’s something the list doesn’t have, a genuine 80 metre player who pings the footy low, flat and hard.

The starting point is Dodoro's comment immediately after drafting him.

'You don't pick up a 25 year old with the expectation that you need to wait a few years. You're looking for an instant impact.'

Why didn’t he play today? Was he the travelling emergency?

I don’t really buy into any of the above discussion about him being ‘too old’, think it represents a selection on attributes and not being tempted by stats or something nice and shiny.

He’s something the list doesn’t have, a genuine 80 metre player who pings the footy low, flat and hard.
He wasn't an emergency.

He's got a booming kick. But that's it. He's average defensively and not exactly quick. Plus at 25 it looks like a poor choice.

That's the thing, how do they not like Ned Long?

I think it's Kakkle who describes our list management being for a different game to that played by the rest of the competition or the good teams. Something like that.

I made excuses at a time but it's now 7 drafts since 2015 which was the latest incarnation of the recruiting strategy and the forced rebuild causes by the loss of players.

There always seems to be a reason not to take midfielders.

This was in reference to Melbourne 'chasing' Luke Dunstan, putting a power point presentation to him, telling him how he makes the club better, having the self awareness to realise they have gotten lucky with injuries in 2021, and identifying what he can bring to the club. Dodoro on the other hand simply couldn't see where he fits on the list, after not even a season removed where Lachlan Johnson was attending centre bounces in the VFL.

It's not the same sport.

He wasn't an emergency.

He's got a booming kick. But that's it. He's average defensively and not exactly quick. Plus at 25 it looks like a poor choice.
Dunno who else would have been worth picking up that late in the draft.

If they picked him because of the efforts he made to even be considered then it might be worthwhile from a culture point of view I guess.

If they picked him because of the efforts he made to even be considered then it might be worthwhile from a culture point of view I guess.
Virtually none picked after him have done anything yet. Most have not played.
They picked him based on them thinking he was a blue collar type who could end up being a decent role player with some development.
The hang up for most is he is 25 so he should not need any development. He is long odds from what I have seen so far but at least they have ****ed up picking a bloke who will have a crack and not someone like Houlihan or Morgan.

I heard your grandma was a really playa when she was younger.

They had to keep warm somehow back in the war years! :p

Garrett was probably still around because he was too old to be conscripted...

Williams was probably the only player we could have looked at as a future option as a ruck/kpf (or vice versa).

Or kept the spot free i guess.

Charlie Molan, Lewis Rayson, Kade Dittmar, Josh Browne, Kaden Harbour, Jamahl Stretch and Josh Rentsch are some that come to mind.

Virtually none picked after him have done anything yet. Most have not played.
They picked him based on them thinking he was a blue collar type who could end up being a decent role player with some development.
The hang up for most is he is 25 so he should not need any development. He is long odds from what I have seen so far but at least they have ducked up picking a bloke who will have a crack and not someone like Houlihan or Morgan.
I think more of the issue is what they said about him after the draft, “ you don’t pick a 25 year old to just play vfl” that what’s makes the decision look stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charlie Molan, Lewis Rayson, Kade Dittmar, Josh Browne, Kaden Harbour, Jamahl Stretch and Josh Rentsch are some that come to mind.
Really ?
So other clubs never bothered to pick these guys but we should have ?
A couple are playing seconds footy right now (SANFL) and Stretch is not even playing WAFL.
So you liked a few blokes pre draft. Right now what McDonagh has done in the VFL has these guys covered anyway.

Garrett McDonagh

Key stats: 15 disposals, four marks, four tackles

“It was his second game on the wing for us after moving from half back flank and it was another really good effort. He kicked a nice goal from the boundary line through running hard both ways all game, so it was good see him help the defenders as a winger and join in our attack, it was really pleasing. It was good to see him lay some big tackles and some good, contested ball.”

Sounds like the half-back experiment is over then, easier to move him to a position where the balance of attack and defence suits him.

Wonder if he runs patterns and holds width or if it’s just kick chasing though, it’s not really clear from the write up.

Shocked to hear this didn't work out...

I can understand mature if you seriously expect them to play Rnd 1, but even if there wasn't much else available surely you err on the side of youth?
What youth picked after him would have been a better choice in hindsight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back