Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

WC have been very good at list management for 30 years, going after Jackson with the state their list is in would be horrendous list management unless they think they can het him through the PSD which I firmly believe wouldn’t happen. He’ll sign with Melbourne or join us IMO

WC have been very good at list management for 30 years, going after Jackson with the state their list is in would be horrendous list management unless they think they can het him through the PSD which I firmly believe wouldn’t happen. He’ll sign with Melbourne or join us IMO
I agree- I actually expect a fair few of their older veterans on good $$$ to “retire” citing injury so they can get the 50% cap relief like the swans did with Tippett.

To trade a low pick is craziness, but with PSD and a few trades could really speed up list regeneration…it’s literally what crows did.

I agree- I actually expect a fair few of their older veterans on good $$$ to “retire” citing injury so they can get the 50% cap relief like the swans did with Tippett.

To trade a low pick is craziness, but with PSD and a few trades could really speed up list regeneration…it’s literally what crows did.
Hately is a non-factor and even though they completely shafted you on the Dawson trade, I don’t think their rebuild has been fast tracked because of PSD threat. More that they have enough quality mature players to win a few games and Rachelle is an absolute gun. Not convinced their rebuild is on track until I see quality under 25s in the middle.

Problem also for WC is its onfield success also matters to players and it’s a pretty big difference between where they and us are heading for the next 5 years.

All this speculation that Eagles are now heavily interested in him. Personally i reckon they are mad giving 1 million odd plus potentially 2 first rounders with where there list is at.

If im Fremantle What can I actually give up if Im not giving top end Vic Players like Young

Two first rounders isn't getting it near done.

True, but can't see Jackson screwing the Dees over with the PSD threat.

Freo will be hot favourites for sure if he goes back home, but they will have to do some creative trading, cause it looks like their first round pick this year will either be high teens or early 20s (depending on F/S pushbacks)

Probably may have to give up a decent Vic youngster too (imo)
Honestly, I’m going to sound like a dickhead but if it involves pushing a young best 22 kid out to get Jackson, I’d hope we don’t do it. This group has totally bought into playing together and I don’t think it’s ever worth pushing quality youth out to get quality youth in. If we knew say Young wanted to head back then that’s a different story. I’d hope we stand out ground with a combination of Lobb and two firsts.

Melbourne have done very well with trades with us over the last 10 years, a little evening of the ledger wouldn’t go astray.

If someone trades for him, they're going to need to severely overpay in trade commodity and salary, won't be worth it for them in the long run. They'll get a gun player probably in time, but they'll give up a heap and chew a lot of cap on a guy who's value is still mostly based on what he could become, not his current output.

If someone trades for him, they're going to need to severely overpay in trade commodity and salary, won't be worth it for them in the long run. They'll get a gun player probably in time, but they'll give up a heap and chew a lot of cap on a guy who's value is still mostly based on what he could become, not his current output.
Is he worth more than Kelly (prime mid with two incredible seasons behind him at the time) and Cameron who both went for pick 2 worth of points? While the points system is flawed, we’d be talking about similar situations where if he went to Freo, Melbourne would get lower first round picks that aren’t equal to his worth. Assuming Lobb is worth pick 30 (i think that’s fair) and we finish 4th, 15, 15 and 30 would be 2.8k worth of points which is nearly equal to pick 1. How much do you have to pay for potential, especially when he probably hasn’t yet improved on last year?

Is it a ‘fair’ trade? Probably not but AFL trades aren’t done on fairness. Of course, he’ll probably re-sign this week and make it all redundant 😆

No way you pay 2 firsts for him if you're the Eagles with either pick 1 or 2.

He's uncontracted, only scenario you need to trade for him is he's asked for a trade to you.

So why would you then pay him a mil AND 2 first rounders? What leverage do Melbourne have in that scenario?

No way you pay 2 firsts for him if you're the Eagles with either pick 1 or 2.

He's uncontracted, only scenario you need to trade for him is he's asked for a trade to you.

So why would you then pay him a mil AND 2 first rounders? What leverage do Melbourne have in that scenario?

Jackson strikes me as a good lad with character who wouldn't want to screw the Dees over in that scenario (would want them to get decent compo)

Still firmly reckon it's Dees or Freo for Jackson.

Why would any sane person pick the Eagles over Freo for the next 5-10 years anyway?

Baffling

And what would Freo have to give up in a trade for him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what would Freo have to give up in a trade for him?
Two firsts and Lobb (worth around 30 IMO), which would essentially be like the Cameron and Kelly

Cameron
1651544730389.png

Kelly
1651545602560.png
Freo Assets
1651545658801.png

I'd argue at the time, Cameron and Kelly were clearly worth a pick in the top 10 but unfortunately, they were out of contract and the team they nominated didnt have one. That's just how AFL trading works

I still fail to see how Jackson is worth 2 Top 10 picks. Its all potential and if he doesnt live up to it then it could be one of the worst trades in history. Giving up 2 top end picks plus 1 million is a sure way to destroy a club for a few years. Yeah if he is generational then sure but nothing is guaranteed.

Stick to the draft Fremantle.

Jackson needs to prove himself as a fwd before freo would think about selling the farm.
Comparing lobb and Jackson the only thing he has over lobb this year is clearances.
We need goals.
We have a gun rk and and number 2 whose progressing well.
Freo only over spend on trades if it’s a fwd.

would you give up Darcy for Jackson? (assuming that Jackson + a part-timer is a better fit for team than Darcy)
Short of Darcy asking for a trade (he wouldnt), never
A) Darcy is more proven, regardless of Jacksons potential
B) You dont push elite young talent out the door, especially when the team is playing well, whats the benefit?

Short of Darcy asking for a trade (he wouldnt), never
A) Darcy is more proven, regardless of Jacksons potential
B) You dont push elite young talent out the door, especially when the team is playing well, whats the benefit?
just think in terms of improving the team at the expense of the individual; and about your opinion on the relative values of Darcy and Jackson. nothing sinister.

I still fail to see how Jackson is worth 2 Top 10 picks. Its all potential and if he doesnt live up to it then it could be one of the worst trades in history. Giving up 2 top end picks plus 1 million is a sure way to destroy a club for a few years. Yeah if he is generational then sure but nothing is guaranteed.

Stick to the draft Fremantle.

Jesus Christ mate.

Jackson would almost certainly put Freo over the line for a flag.

As long as you don't give up any of your young guns, you do whatever it takes to get him to Freo.

This obsession with draft picks is irrelevant for a club in Freo's position.

Seize the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back