News Joel Garner signs for Richmond VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

This feels like another Tom Harley moment.
Who is our Stephen Daniels? That was the choice, Harley or Daniels back at the end of 1998.

I have watched the 3 SANFL trials at Alberton oval this year and Garner has been very disappointing in all 3 of them. I think he knows he isn't going to get a gig in 2021 unless we have a shitload of injuries. He probably is 12th or 13th pick for one of 7 backline spots.

Who is our Stephen Daniels? That was the choice, Harley or Daniels back at the end of 1998.

I have watched the 3 SANFL trials at Alberton oval this year and Garner has been very disappointing in all 3 of them. I think he knows he isn't going to get a gig in 2021 unless we have a shitload of injuries. He probably is 12th or 13th pick for one of 7 backline spots.

I agree, he has been disappointing so far this year, its why I want to see him tried somewhere else.
Hoping for a change in form Thursday night.

I don't know who the Stephen Daniels will be but I have every confidence in the club replacing him with an excellent choice if Joel's 2021 doesn't fire up.

Slow and undersized, not a great combination especially the way is game being played now. Be shocked if he's not delisted at end of the year.

Agreed, I thought he was very disappointing in the 2019 sanfl finals and would need to show a lot more to have a real chance of being on any club's AFL list after this season.

It’s still sad that we played Broadbent instead of him in the last few rounds of 2019.
Yep. In the game time he had in 2019, he looked pretty good to me. Strange that he was so quick to be left out of the team for Broadbent. Has never had another look in, and would be a very long way back in the queue now which also includes Jones and maybe even Frederick.

Hope he ends up better than the players we have, if he doesn't it is imperative that we get good value for all our fringe players if they decide to leave, we can then keep backfilling!

Very unlucky to be part of an incredibly deep and talented small/mid defensive brigade.

Shame, I really liked him at AFL level when he got a chance but he's behind 2 of the best halfbacks in the league and then a few other AFL capable reserves.

I'd let him go as a DFA if he requested it.

I would love a tour of the factory where Norwood churn out their unheralded largely medium/third tall defenders who can play key roles shockingly well at the highest level.

Craig Kelly
Rodney Maynard
Martin Pike
Adam Heuskes
Tom Harley
Nathan Bassett
Joel Patfull
Nick Duigan
Heath Grundy
Tom Jonas
Luke Brown

Seriously, it’s like us with GOAT-class midfielders.

Very unlucky to be part of an incredibly deep and talented small/mid defensive brigade.

Shame, I really liked him at AFL level when he got a chance but he's behind 2 of the best halfbacks in the league and then a few other AFL capable reserves.

I'd let him go as a DFA if he requested it.
For about a year now I've had this premonition that Clarko will see something in him and he will line up alongside Chad and Jarman for the brown and gold next season.

If he stayed here I would see him as a Jonas replacement, unfortunately for him Jonas just extended his contract.

Thomas Jonas and Joel Garner AFL Stats Comparison (footywire.com)
Slightly shorter but otherwise comparable.

Anyway bring on Thursday, I hope my buddy does well.

Joel needs a change of position to save his career at Port. Last week we played 8 defenders (Jonas, Aliir, Clurey, Houston Hartlett, DBJ, Burton, Bergman). Last year we preferred to play Mayes across half back when we needed an extra defender (meaning Garner is demoted to 10th defender). This year, we added Jones (so Garner is 11th at best). Then there’s McKenzie and Lienert who can play on smalls and talls (So Joel is 13th). Add to that, we get Junior-Junior-Junior Burger in 2022 who is at his best running off half back. Garner will be 14th in line- and this doesn’t count Bonner who is in my books as a midfielder.

Houston saved his career by requesting a move to defence. Joel should request a move to the midfield. He’s tough, composed and a good kick under pressure. He could tag or be an in and under ball extractor. Realistically, from outside the club, that is all he can do. Waiting for 7 defenders to fall over is not a great plan for earning a senior call up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joel needs a change of position to save his career at Port. Last week we played 8 defenders (Jonas, Aliir, Clurey, Houston Hartlett, DBJ, Burton, Bergman). Last year we preferred to play Mayes across half back when we needed an extra defender (meaning Garner is demoted to 10th defender). This year, we added Jones (so Garner is 11th at best). Then there’s McKenzie and Lienert who can play on smalls and talls (So Joel is 13th). Add to that, we get Junior-Junior-Junior Burger in 2022 who is at his best running off half back. Garner will be 14th in line- and this doesn’t count Bonner who is in my books as a midfielder.

Houston saved his career by requesting a move to defence. Joel should request a move to the midfield. He’s tough, composed and a good kick under pressure. He could tag or be an in and under ball extractor. Realistically, from outside the club, that is all he can do. Waiting for 7 defenders to fall over is not a great plan for earning a senior call up.
I really like that take dude. I can only go off the times I've seen him at AFL level and he has impressed me. Many people have enlightened me as to his poor form in defence in SANFL level in late 2019 and in 2021 trial games. This is worrying and confusing. I agree that his skillset is worth keeping at the club if he and we can harness them effectively. In a salary cap system, I think it's better to nurture the talent available rather than relying on draft picks. Having said that, if we were able to get a decent pick for Joel and package it with others to get a high draft pick I have great faith in Cripps and Parker to strike gold.

He’s just not that good unfortunately. SANFL level player. Doubt he’s on our list next year.

I'll wait to see how he goes when the proper season starts in the Snaffel before writing him off, he'll probably end up elsewhere at years end however maybe over yonder with Nicks.

Remember when we used to say similar about Houston and DBJ?

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app
DBJ looked rather bland and generic than poor at SANFL level. But once he got a crack at AFL he has only missed one game - the sleep thru the alarm punishment game. Garner on the other hand has looked poor rather than bland at SANFL level.

He wouldn't be the first payer to have people on the outside put a line put through his name to then prove them wrong. Reality is at half back he's behind Lienert, Jones and Bonner (albeit playing more up the ground this year) who are all out of the side currently. There needs to be a drastic change or catastrophic injury run for him to get a run off half back at AFL level.

I agree with the post above about maybe a move into the midfield, whilst he wouldn't any closer to AFL selection perhaps the change in position will be a spark for him and get him more involved, change his trajectory and possibly get him a 12 month extension. As things stand being out of contract this year, its hard to see him at Port Adelaide for too much longer and can see him looking for more opportunity elsewhere and they may not necessarily be by his choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back