Opinion Do we REALLY want Jack Steven from St. Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d say he’ll sit out in this case. Then they are stuck with his salary and don’t get all these other players who want to come into their team. It’s a huge loss for them not to send him to the Cats. If only to free salary space. As a first year coach, Ratten would be desperate for new blood to come in.
The benefit we have here is Steven wants to come to us, he doesn't want to be at St Kilda, his wage is huge and we don't really need him so not getting him isn't any big loss for us. It means we have the power to negotiate properly. 24 is laughable, 37 and they pay 75% of his wages imo.

I like this a lot. We could offer Abbott+pick 24 for Steven and Marshall. Saints pay 50% of Steven’s salary.

Ryder and Abbott end up being their rucks.

They would want A LOT more than Abbott and 24. A LOT more.

He was a rookie ... what we have to do is be better at talent Id earlier and be patient.. IF we are going to trade in a ruck..may its in the new PreSeason trade period they are talking about

I still want him lol. I’m sure they can find a new number one. Hell, I’d trade Stanley, Smith and 24 for Stephen and Marshall.
Oh yeah for sure me too, he's great but would be strictly off limits. Ryder is 31 and I think will serve as a quality backup more than anything. Marshall is likely a 5-8 year #1 ruckman for them

Oh yeah for sure me too, he's great but would be strictly off limits. Ryder is 31 and I think will serve as a quality backup more than anything. Marshall is likely a 5-8 year #1 ruckman for them
No doubt the Hawks will somehow (Ratten connection) get the Saints to hand Marshall over for a second tier Hawks player ala McAvoy and Savage.

If we want a good ruck- who really is a huge part of being a successful team and who will be there for a long while, then you’ve gotta pay premium to the owning team and to the player.

Offer 17 for Steven and Marshall and offer Marshall a 5 year contract. Saints would seriously consider it. It’s not like they’ll be contending any time soon.

No doubt the Hawks will somehow (Ratten connection) get the Saints to hand Marshall over for a second tier Hawks player ala McAvoy and Savage.

If we want a good ruck- who really is a huge part of being a successful team and who will be there for a long while, then you’ve gotta pay premium to the owning team and to the player.

Offer 17 for Steven and Marshall and offer Marshall a 5 year contract. Saints would seriously consider it. It’s not like they’ll be contending any time soon.

Marshall was a young ruck who finished top 3 in their best and fairest, he is not going anywhere.

It would be a tragedy if he was forced out of the game. Not only because of his talent but because of the adverse affect it might have on him personally.

Agree, however, that returning to the Saints is highly unlikely.
Which is exactly why St Kilda will take 37 IMO - do they want to walk away from this with nothing? When they need the pick and cap space for other trades and then also be known as the club that forced a player with mental health issues to retire because they were being stubborn and unreasonable on his trade value? I don’t think so. They’d have the AFLPA up their a**, let alone what that do internally with the other players and their sense of the club really giving a s**t about their well-being. Especially all the public talk about having Jack’s mental health at the front of their concerns - won’t be a good look if they force him to stay and he elects to retire. Even if he doesn’t - the fallback on the club if he was forced to stay, and then had continual issues next year would be a PR disaster for them.

They have zero leverage here from what I can see...and Wells knows that too.

Last edited:
Give them 14, 24 and 37 for 6, 59 and Steven....done!!!! That gives them more picks for the 1000 trades they have got lined up.

Picks 14 + 24 = 1946 Points
Pick 6 + 59 = 1909 Points

Use 14 + Future 1st on Hill, 24 on Howard, 37 on Jones

Everybody wins!!!

Last edited:
Give them 14, 24 and 37 for 6, 59 and Steven....done!!!! That gives them more picks for the 1000 trades they have got lined up.

Use 14 + Future Pick on Hill, 24 on Howard, 37 on Jones

Everybody wins!!!

Fremantle doe not win and will not do the trade

Use 14 + Future 1st on Hill, 24 on Howard, 37 on Jones

Everybody wins!!!

We dont win losing a pick and gain rubbish pick 59

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven will be a Geelong player as sure as the sun comes up tomorrow...it is just the saints need better pics for all the players they want....and Steven wants us not us chasing him...so it will be 37 it's just when

Steven will be a Geelong player as sure as the sun comes up tomorrow...it is just the saints need better pics for all the players they want....and Steven wants us not us chasing him...so it will be 37 it's just when

Probably when they have enough for the other trades they are doing, they have a really bad draft hand so they need to get a 2nd rounder for Bruce so it might happen once that one goes through. They also need to offload Steven for 37 instead of being tight and overvaluing him.

If they are smart they will do this.

Trade 6 to Freo for Hill

Trade Bruce to Dogs for 2nd rounder
Trade 2nd Rounder to Port for Howard

Trade Steven to Geelong for 37
Trade 37 to Sydney for Jones

Simples!!!!

Imagine if we had 33 like originally leaked before the Kelly trade....would that help break the deadlock? Its a third of the way there...

Probably when they have enough for the other trades they are doing, they have a really bad draft hand so they need to get a 2nd rounder for Bruce so it might happen once that one goes through. They also need to offload Steven for 37 instead of being tight and overvaluing him.

If they are smart they will do this.

Trade 6 to Freo for Hill

Trade Bruce to Dogs for 2nd rounder
Trade 2nd Rounder to Port for Howard

Trade Steven to Geelong for 37
Trade 37 to Sydney for Jones

Simples!!!!

I think only Freo are going to accept that deal.

I think Hill to Freo for pick 6 and something back for the Saints.

Future first to Port for Howard and Ryder and something back for the Saints.

Whatever they get for Bruce plus some steak knives (ie our pick for Steven) for Jones.

I think only Freo are going to accept that deal.

I think Hill to Freo for pick 6 and something back for the Saints.

Future first to Port for Howard and Ryder and something back for the Saints.

Whatever they get for Bruce plus some steak knives (ie our pick for Steven) for Jones.

No way they give a 1st rounder for Howard and Ryder, will be a 2nd for Howard and a future 3rd for Ryder at best, some serious overvaluing going on around bigfooty these days, and for the record I dont even think Hill is worth pick 6, more around 10-15 tbh.

and my daughter wants a unicorn.

Tough life in the real world.

GO Catters

Surely there's a unicorn on some sound stage or set you've been involved with that you could "borrow"...

We still have 36.....that's an upgrade on 37.....right.....right.....:p
Yes I know my complaints about it were petty BUT unfortunately most clubs are petty. I honestly cannot comprehend why the hold up on Steven. Its just ridiculous.

Lol at anyone even mentioning Marshall in a trade. Obviously don’t follow footy very closely if you think that’s a chance. It’d be like a saints fan saying we should give up pick 50 for Sav Rat

With Dougal Howard nominating the Saints the have too many lined up (Ryder, Jones, etc), not to deal Stevens both to clear a spot and the money. It’s wait time for us.
makes you wonder how they expect to get all these players

They only have pick 6 and 59 plus future picks of which only one can be traded, but they are apparently trying to get;

- Hill
- Ryder
- Z Jones
- Howard
- Sam Gray or Dan Butler

6 gets them Hill in a straight swap leaving clubs to split 59 for 4 players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back