BigFooty Official 2015 Big Footy Phantom Draft (Trial Run)

Remove this Banner Ad

61. Port Adelaide- Hugh Haysman (West Adelaide). 178cm 72kg

Will do a proper writeup later but Haysman is a runner with senior experience. Port need runners, especially for our game style, and Haysman runs and runs and runs. His skills need tidying but are passable, especially since he takes the game on. I like guys who have already played senior footy and done well and Haysman is one of those. If you can perform against men at a younger age then you are ahead of others as far as I'm concerned.

Really surprised he is still here to be honest. Shouldn't do this but was tossing up between himself, Stewart and Olekalns. Really rate Stewart (have him in my top 15) but after already taking Mathieson, Port probably have enough inside ball winners. Would have taken a tall forward if there was a quality one available but Port took enough project talls last year.

Pick 59 Essendon Mitch Brown 196cm key position player
Mitch will probably go earlier than this at draft time.
I just think footy has clicked for him.
Brown has the capacity to play key position back and I would like to see a more confident brown have another try forward as well.
He is selected to be afl ready and I believe Essendon were disappointed he wasn't on their list after his performances in the preseason competition.
We have drafted tall with brown, Moore and Smith but I expect Essendon to lose talls in fletcher, pears, Carlisle, giles and possibly Gwilt and steinberg which will leave definite holes in our big man stocks.
Losing Carlisle will only be palatable if Essendon secure a terrific draft choice(top ten) or his loss helps secure an Adam Treloar from GWS who have a salary squeeze and need to free up academy bids. It could be a tough preseason for us bombers fans.

beowulf

# 62 North Melbourne - Jack Agostino (West Adelaide)

swannies

Jack Agostino
Height: 182cm,
Weight: 77kg,
DOB: 11/06/1997
Recruited from: West Adelaide / Renmark Rovers
Agostino is a midfielder come defender with a touch of class. I am surprised that there hasn’t been much interest shown in him across the boards, as he has played 8 senior games this year for West Adelaide. In those he was adjudged among the best 4 times, including a BOG against Glenelg.

For South Australia this year he spent time in the midfield and in either the back pocket or half back flank, where he used his height and marking skills against the resting mids and small forwards.

Agostino has the game to develop into a decent mid, but I selected him based on his work in defence as much as anything. He provided good run and his disposal was clean. He used his body quite well and his hands were steady and sure.

I also agree with everything said about Rueben in the above. The ONLY negative comment I have for Rueben is that often he's lazy &/or selfish when he should be working hard around the ground to help his teammates as they help him. The positive thing about that is it can be worked on and fixed.
I don't reckon he's lazy I think he lacks endurance , he's a fast twitch athlete and can tire after consecutive efforts ...3 pre seasons will help fix that

swannies

have to move on but something tells me he will he happy enough with this;

# 63 Geelong - - Kade Stewart (WA – MID)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB: 16/01/1997
Recruited from: South Fremantle

# 64 GWS - Matt Hanson (Werribee / 185cm / 80kg)

On the run so will do write up a bit later but this kid has been on my radar for a while. Was a really well performed junior for Tassie and Western Storm and then moved up here and has blitzed it in the VFL. Seen 3-4 of his games now and no doubt he would command a place in a lot of sides.

swannies

have to move on but something tells me he will he happy enough with this;

# 63 Geelong - - Kade Stewart (WA – MID)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB: 16/01/1997
Recruited from: South Fremantle

You are right, very happy with Kade. Thanks Snoop Dog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 67: Richmond
Player: Theo Thompson (Vic Metro)
Height: 185cm Weight: 81kg
DOB: 25/07/1997
Club: Sandringham Dragons
Position: Inside Midfielder/Small defender
Profile:

Was hoping I could eye off a tall with this pick, but with the way things have gone- That's very unlikely from here.

Theo Thompson is a ferocious contested ball player who wins a lot of football playing as an inside midfielder. He is strong and has a very good footy IQ and one that I firmly believe can make it at AFL level. Theo has a good marking ability and isn't afraid to intercept marks at his size.

Having seen Theo play for the last few years, I know he's capable of much more than he's shown this year. Theo has predominately played as a small defender at Vic Metro level and played HBF for most of the TAC Cup year. For his school (Caulfield Grammar) Theo dominates as a midfielder and is one of the best schoolboy footballers in Victoria. Thompson made his debut in the school's first XVIII in 2012, becoming the first year nine student to do so since the school's most famous football export, Chris Judd.

Thompson has excellent leadership skills and is another reason that Richmond have drafted him. He is captain of school, captain of his school 1st XVIII football team and was the captain of the Vic Metro squad.

Theo has the professionalism to slot straight in to an AFL system and I strongly believe he will be on an AFL list next year.

Some highlights here:

Very unimpressed with what's left on the board so going to pick two personal favourites to finish off and look towards more detailed analysis of the lower end of this year's crop over the coming weeks

Cam Hewett for me. Writeup this arvo

Still a few i like. Realistically we are in the middle of what would be rookie draft selections now. I'd be surprsied more than 45-50 live selections this year.

Would have thought a SANFL state league player might have been taken by now. Was waiting to see if Chris25 Thunderstruck or yourself took him.

A choice in three here but I'm going

#69, Hawthorn: Daniel Capiron, 189cm Def/Wing, Dandenong Stingrays/Frankston VFL

Another tall, running defender which the Hawks seem to love and a designated kicker that could slot in straight away if Suckling departs at the end of the year.

Capiron's big weapon is his leg and he hurts sides without getting a lot of ball, he spots up short and long targets with his left peg and can really break sides open, which I've particularly noticed when he plays for Frankston which tend to play a really congested game with lots of numbers around the ball.

His VFL form hasn't been outstanding but he's primarily an outside player and Frankston are getting done in by 20 goals most weeks so it's not exactly the most conducive environment for a player of his kind (whereas other overlooked guys like Pongracic and Cavarra have faired better given their better ball winning ability) so I think he'd fare better with a better side around him, even if he's never going to be prolific.

I'd like to see him really hone his defensive side though to really put him over the top, at his height he could be a really handy smaller defender who can use his reach in the air to spoil 3rd man up or get the reach on smaller opponents. A comparison would be something like Ricky Henderson/David Myers in that annoying period where our coaches thought he was a defender.

Last edited:
A choice in three here but I'm going

#69, Hawthorn: Daniel Capiron, 189cm Def/Wing, Dandenong Stingrays/Frankston VFL

Another tall, running defender which the Hawks seem to love and a designated kicker that could slot in straight away if Suckling departs at the end of the year.

Capiron's big weapon is his leg and he hurts sides without getting a lot of ball, he spots up short and long targets with his left peg and can really break sides open, which I've particularly noticed when he plays for Frankston which tend to play a really congested game with lots of numbers around the ball.

His VFL form hasn't been outstanding but he's primarily an outside player and Frankston are getting done in by 20 goals most weeks so it's not exactly the most conducive environment for a player of his kind (whereas other overlooked guys like Pongracic and Cavarra have faired better given their better ball winning ability) so I think he'd fare better with a better side around him, even if he's never going to be prolific.

I'd like to see him really hone his defensive side though to really put him over the top, at his height he could be a really handy smaller defender who can use his reach in the air to spoil 3rd man up or get the reach on smaller opponents. A comparison would be something like Ricky Henderson/David Myers in that annoying period where our coaches thought he was a defender.

Nice one. I reckon his VFL forms been excellent given the fact he basically was playing for 3 different sides for last 2 months. Been in Dolphins best a bit I think.

Question to the bigfooty recruiters.
Do you feel that Riley Bonner can get through to Hawthorns pick or will they need to look at upgrading picks somehow?

I see Bonner as all class with ball in hand and I reckon Clarko would love his flexibility in disposal by foot on both sides.

Hoping Knightmare in spot on with his phantom draft where he has Bonner getting through to Hawks pick 17.

Would love to hear your collective thoughts on Bonner and who you currently feel would be in the Hawks sights given their list profile.

Question to the bigfooty recruiters.
Do you feel that Riley Bonner can get through to Hawthorns pick or will they need to look at upgrading picks somehow?

I see Bonner as all class with ball in hand and I reckon Clarko would love his flexibility in disposal by foot on both sides.

Hoping Knightmare in spot on with his phantom draft where he has Bonner getting through to Hawks pick 17.

Would love to hear your collective thoughts on Bonner and who you currently feel would be in the Hawks sights given their list profile.

Never say never, however I would think he will off the board before your first selection I see him going between 8-14 range.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back