Eddie Betts

What do you think of the AFC recruiting Eddie Betts?

• Yes, $500k is fine

Votes: 205 61.6%
  • Yes, but we're paying too much

Votes: 64 19.2%
  • No, not worth the money

Votes: 45 13.5%
  • No, just do not want at any price.

Votes: 19 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My read on he Betts situation is this

Betts has well and truly made his decision and he got to this point some weeks ago however his manager in the final days before the FA period starts is using the media in a final attempt to squeeze the lemon on more time and get a few more dollars out if his preferred club.....

With this in mind what ever is said by his Manager at this point is just rubbish, Betts decision has already been made

Agree with this. I find it hard to believe all these players are making last minute life changing decisions just days before the deadline.

The managers have us believe it's all 50/50 right up till the day they announce it. In reality Franklin for example has probably been 80% - 90% sure what he was doing for 6 months.

We will come out of this trade period with no players of note and an upgrade of draft picks. We'll get some crap from trigg about how we were never really interested in Betts or polec and are confident with the squad we have with the main aim of moving up the draft order in this trade period being a huge success.

Let's not forget the old "We will upgrade rookie listed players Laird and Hartigan and they are equal to 1st and 2nd round draft picks".

Thanks to Trigg and co we are crippled in the current draft and our list will suffer without some very clever trading. Staying still in the AFL game is going backwards.

IMO the only way that Adelaide can redeem itself in the eyes of its supporters is to come up with results in spite of the handicap that Trigg and co have inflicted on the club.

There are 2 very public issues on their plate at the moment. Betts and Polec.

For the club to regain the respect of its supporters it MUST at a very minimum succeed in landing one, if not both of these fish.

If it doesn't land Betts, a restricted agent who will cost nothing in playing stock of value to acquire, then IMO it will look very ordinary indeed for the AFC.

If on top of that Polec chooses Port as his rubbish dump of choice (just kidding Portonians :)), and we come up completely empty-handed, then that will be a complete FAILURE by the club, and will only re-inforce the lack of confidence that so many supporters have in an organization that chose to keep the man that caused all the problems that we are currently experiencing.

Without trading assets in the form of players, we won't have any significant draft picks.

Well, AFC, you told us that you were going to be very active and innovative in the Free Agency market and trading period. Betts and Polec are publicly on your radar.

Let's see just how innovative and active you can be, by landing these 2 targets. We're all watching and waiting.

After all it's your credibility which is at stake.
Don't forget that the 2014 free agency field is positively brimming with exciting options. I expect us to shrewdly sit back, save our dollars, re-jig some contracts and prepare ourselves for an assault on the player market. Fools rush in.

Harper: Now we play the waiting game.

Harper: Oh, the waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos.

Don't forget that the 2014 free agency field is positively brimming with exciting options. I expect us to shrewdly sit back, save our dollars, re-jig some contracts and prepare ourselves for an assault on the player market. Fools rush in.

Lol that is Homer's quote from the Simpsons isn't it.

I hope AFC have a strategy of lobbying for looser free agency rules in coming years. We will be heavily reliant on picking up FA's in 3-4 years time when we don't have any youngsters coming through.

People are posting as if the Betts deal is over.... wtf.... maybe wait until Friday?
I think most supporters are just fresh out of optimism and faith in the club.

keep-calm-and-lock-in-betts.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Thus my comment above. I hope AFC have a strategy but fear the administration is too dumb to think of one.
Eddie would be a win.

Polec for a 3rd rounder or Smack is a good chance of a win.

Polec for a pick we get from Hendo I will take as paying overs.

A ruck/forward would be a handy pick up.

I hope AFC have a strategy of lobbying for looser free agency rules in coming years. We will be heavily reliant on picking up FA's in 3-4 years time when we don't have any youngsters coming through.

Lets not get too hysterical. We've been dealt a shite sandwich these last two years. Early picks doesn't guarantee gun players-its helps, but go through our list and there aren't too many top 10 picks in there. We'll do alright. Getting Eddie is a good start.

If we were actually planning on looking at any 2014 free agents, I hope like hell we're talking to them now rather then saying if they're unsigned by the end of next year we'll consider it (something I'm not very optimistic about). By then, it's far too late as they've either talked to another club or re-signed. Going into this free agency period there were plenty of strong targets at the start of the year, but as it progressed, more and more re-signed with their club.

Still remember that stupid statement we had about Franklin with us saying something along the lines of "if he was to approach us we'd look into it" or some crap like that.

People are posting as if the Betts deal is over.... wtf.... maybe wait until Friday?
Listening too much to the media which for the most part seem to have NFI about the majority of this stuff anyways. The past two years the media have had absolutely no idea about Tippett or Franklin to Sydney whilst telling us which clubs the deal is all but done, apart from waiting for the official period to start so they can sign the deal. They really seem to be as clueless as the rest of us with no sources.

Tbh, can't be bothered listening to anything they've got to say until the free agency actually starts as it's all speculation and if they talk up as many potential scenarios as they can, they're more likely to get something right. Come Friday, I'll be listening in, but until then, I'm not going to bother worrying about what they've got to say when it's so obvious so many of them don't have any idea.

Well that sucks for them.

It'll suck for the club if their talk of being innovative in regards to free agents and trading turns out to be yet another load of spin, and people stop renewing their memberships. Can you imagine the embarrassment of going into Adelaide Oval with less members than they had this year?

It'll suck for the club if their talk of being innovative in regards to free agents and trading turns out to be yet another load of spin, and people stop renewing their memberships. Can you imagine the embarrassment of going into Adelaide Oval with less members than they had this year?
And the frustration for those members who jumped off when they blame the loss of members on something else.

I think you're dramatically overestimating the effect it would have.

Us hardcore fans only represent a tiny minority of the club's full supporter base.

Seems EVERY PLAYER is nominating club of choice and quickly .......with us no commitment & it seems we're being used in negotiations by players not willing to commit :thumbsdown:

This is such a ridiculous post

Im not 100% sure that Betts will kand at Adelaide However what every player, NDS, H Shaw, Sylvia, Taylor Adams, Smack, Lomger, Polec, Dochety, Yeo, none of these players have come out and nominated their preferred clubs

Stop being a drama queen and using the Buddy situation with players already nominating as the norm when in reality it is the exception to the rule, even White hasn't come out and nominated Port, it is rumoured only

fFS trade and FA period hasn't even commenced yet and other than to satisfy inpatient supporters early WTF would Betts nominate his preferred club when no trade needs to be constructed and all he needs to do is sign a contract with his club of choice knowing already Carlton won't match the offer

Betts manager has rightfully advised Betts to just go through the establish process, there is no need for him to make public comment until he signs for a club

Talk about Drama Queens

Lets not get too hysterical. We've been dealt a shite sandwich these last two years. Early picks doesn't guarantee gun players-its helps, but go through our list and there aren't too many top 10 picks in there. We'll do alright. Getting Eddie is a good start.
Don't forget it was our mum that bought that shit sandwich for us.

Back